What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pirate is a Christmas baby. It does make it difficult for presents. MY aunt was born on the 24th. We never celebrated Pirate's birthday. Too much confusion of Christmas morning, then a big dinner. And oddly enough he never asked when his birthday was. He just drifted from age four to five, then to six and seven. Then on his seventh birthday, my sister who was his godfather, gave him two presents for under the tree. Only one was wrapped in birthday paper with a birthday card. He thought she had just run out of Christmas paper. That was his day of wonder and discovery.

A few years go by and he turns 16. He informed me that for his birthday he wanted a car, and for Christmas he wanted the money for registration and insurance. He is still waiting.

Two or three of them (we often went for lots of less pricey gifts instead of one big one since that worked for us) would be from "Santa", they were always in a different paper than all the others, :

I could usually find a paper that had a Santa motif. The biggest was always from Santa and the smaller ones from us! Method in my madness.. :LOL:

Staring at the blowing snow - hoping when it stops it will be long enough for me to do the 40 minute round trip to town, pick up feed & supplies.

Ironic... first time in 12 years I decide to put up a tree and do a number with the decorations around the house. Grandkids were to come next Fri and finish decorating the tree where they could reach - I did the top half.

My BIL has just died and I am going to go to my sis's til, probably, after New Year's. Aside from Christmas, his birthday is/would be the 29th. Been a mad scramble trying to arrange someone to look after the geese, making a 2 page list of things to do before I go, create an instructions sheet for whomever comes in, and still hoping the snow will have cleared up to do the 6 hour drive up and thru Algonquin Park to her place. Her son will be with her til Sun. and I'll travel up Mon.

Don't thinks I'll be stopping by to see you on this trip Rock.

Thanking the powers that be for having changed the wood burning stove for a propane fireplace which can run on its own. Very difficult around here to find someone to stay in an old drafty house that was heated with just the wood! As it is I can just get someone to come in once a day to cuddle the cats and water the geese.

Staring at the blowing snow - hoping when it stops it will be long enough for me to do the 40 minute round trip to town, pick up feed & supplies.

Ironic... first time in 12 years I decide to put up a tree and do a number with the decorations around the house. Grandkids were to come next Fri and finish decorating the tree where they could reach - I did the top half.

My BIL has just died and I am going to go to my sis's til, probably, after New Year's. Aside from Christmas, his birthday is/would be the 29th. Been a mad scramble trying to arrange someone to look after the geese, making a 2 page list of things to do before I go, create an instructions sheet for whomever comes in, and still hoping the snow will have cleared up to do the 6 hour drive up and thru Algonquin Park to her place. Her son will be with her til Sun. and I'll travel up Mon.

Don't thinks I'll be stopping by to see you on this trip Rock.

Thanking the powers that be for having changed the wood burning stove for a propane fireplace which can run on its own. Very difficult around here to find someone to stay in an old drafty house that was heated with just the wood! As it is I can just get someone to come in once a day to cuddle the cats and water the geese.

Be safe, stay warm. My deepest condolences on your Family's loss.

So sorry for your loss, dragnlaw. Your sis' world has lost its focus and she will appreciate that you are there for her. Be strong and drive safe.

Went to do morning chores. I got plenty of straw for the ducks and geese in that drafty old barn. What do they do? Lay in the snow. Its zero with -29 wind chill. It is pretty cozy in the barn tho. Cats didn't like them at first but they are dealing with it.
FB_IMG_1481990381319.jpg FB_IMG_1481989142059.jpg

Went to do morning chores. I got plenty of straw for the ducks and geese in that drafty old barn. What do they do? Lay in the snow. Its zero with -29 wind chill. It is pretty cozy in the barn tho. Cats didn't like them at first but they are dealing with it.
View attachment 25861 View attachment 25860

:LOL: Farmer Jon. Your birds are the equivalent of getting your kid an expensive toy, and they just want to play with the box.

Either that are they are ready to make a run for it when the door is opened (assuming that is a door of course)

My condolences on your loss, Dragnlaw.

I am battling yet another bug and sinus infection. This comes after a rough 2 hours in the dentist's chair on Wednesday to reconstruct a tooth. It is a temporary fix at best, but all my plan could afford at the moment.

TB was home yesterday with symptoms as well so I was able to sleep most of the day while he took care of his own meals and the fur-kids. I am hoping to do the same today and try to get rid of this thing. I have two very important doctor appointments next week and need my strength.

I received as a Christmas gift a package of French Croissants. They were made in France and flown here to the states.

I took out two figuring I would make a couple of poached eggs. These things are HUGE. You let them thaw out and you can see the yeast is working. But when they hit that hot oven, they explode.

I had a Black and Decker toaster oven as a gift. It died but I kept the tiny tray that came with it. Big enough for two slices of toast. One of these croissants almost filled the tray. Then when I pulled it out from the oven, it was more than twice the size of what I put in there.

Both of our homes in OH had pull-down steps to the space over the garage, Addie. The unheated space over the garage. :ermm: We'd keep the kids' gifts in the car trunk until they were sound asleep, them move them up to the crawl "attic". Once we were done shopping for that year, I'd bundle up and head up with tape, scissors, and wrapping paper for both Christmas and birthdays. Lucky all-of-us, their birthday is on December 29. Working one kid at a time, I'd pick out the best and second-best gift, wrap one for Christmas and one for birthday. Then I'd set aside one or two more gifts for birthday, and wrap the rest for Christmas. Two or three of them (we often went for lots of less pricey gifts instead of one big one since that worked for us) would be from "Santa", they were always in a different paper than all the others, they were on the fireplace hearth instead of under the tree, and I had enough of that pattern of wrap to last enough Christmases until they figured out who "Santa" was. :LOL: Come December 26th, if we had missed a really special gift, we had a couple days to make things right.

I'm sneezing my head off, followed by blowing and wiping my nose off of my face. :( The smart side of my brain says "Go to bed!" while the obviously bigger side of my brain continues to play on the computer. The time has come for me to say goodnight. Good night! Good night. Good Night. Good...night......:mrgreen:

Not only were most of the gifts were from Santa, but one from Mrs. Claus, Donner Blitzen, Rudolph, etc. And of course there was always a present from Mommy and Dad.

One year my oldest four year old daughter asked how come I didn't give her any present. I told her I was so busy on the phone with Santa, I didn't have time to shop. So the next day, I went out and bought both her and Spike a present from Mommy and Daddy. From that day forward, they always got a present marked from me and their father.

Back
Top Bottom