What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am stuck in San Diego for another night. At least my hotel is downtown, and surrounded by good restaurants.

CD

So much for summer here. Been raining for 2 days, but I'm off to the pub in an hour or so. Pick up a mate and drink and bet on the horses and dogs.lol. Cruisey arvo.

Russ

I've been searching or a cured/smoked leg of reindeer to surprise my mom or Christmas. They are sold on on a stand for slicing like an Iberico ham.

I found fiskeboller, but no luck on Rudolph so far.

I've been searching or a cured/smoked leg of reindeer to surprise my mom or Christmas. They are sold on on a stand for slicing like an Iberico ham.

If you were in Canada, I could set you up with a supplier I know. He runs a company called "Canadian Reindeer". He's part Inuit and part Saami. He's in Inuvik, Northwest Territories, Canada.

If you are not picky on your breed of deer, just go for a very fast drive through the country in a truck you don't have a fond attachment to. Nothing like roadkill for the holidays.

CD

If you were in Canada, I could set you up with a supplier I know. He runs a company called "Canadian Reindeer". He's part Inuit and part Saami. He's in Inuvik, Northwest Territories, Canada.

Thanks, Taxy. I will look him up, see if shipping is possible. The boneless reindeer I've found that ships from Norway or Swefen to the US is pretty expensive. Around $75 per pound before shipping and tax.

Thanks, Taxy. I will look him up, see if shipping is possible. The boneless reindeer I've found that ships from Norway or Swefen to the US is pretty expensive. Around $75 per pound before shipping and tax.
I think there are some suppliers in Alaska. If you can get it from the US, it would be a lot easier. But, if you can't find an Alaskan supplier, Canadian Reindeer has a Facebook page.

Last edited:
If you are not picky on your breed of deer, just go for a very fast drive through the country in a truck you don't have a fond attachment to. Nothing like roadkill for the holidays.

CD

I've hit 2 Whitetails in the past year. The first one just bent the brush guard on my pickup.

The second one totalled my Acura.

You know ypu live in an area full of hunters when a lot of roadkill deer is missing its hind quarters and antlers.

Last edited:
Pouring concrete into large, dug out dirt 'molds' in the ground to create fake landscape boulders...

I've been redressing my old, outgrown, curbside cactus garden out front with large boulders in the mix. Still a ways to go but it's getting there....

Last edited:
Pouring concrete into large, dug out dirt 'molds' in the ground to create fake landscape boulders...

I've been redressing my old, outgrown, curbside cactus garden out front with large boulders in the mix. Still a ways to go but it's getting there....

I have the beginnings of a rock garden in my driveway, at least I can't slide or drive into the garage door.

These are rocks Dad picked up in his travels around the Western States.

Even with a mixture of peat moss into the concrete to lighten the weight of the boulders they still weigh a ton. I've been using various concrete dyes to create that earthen look.

Here's an early stage of one curbside area with a few boulders in place. It looks sparse now but there will be a couple more larger ones added, still 'curing' in their in-ground molds. Also, a couple of other varieties of low profile succulents will be planted here and there to add color and balance. IMG_0604.jpg

Last edited:
I have a sink full of dishes waiting for my attention. Then I still have those holly leaves waiting for me. Instead, I think I will have another small bowl of vanilla ice cream.

I'm surfing the web in my hotel room, while an elephant is walking around the room directly above me. :mad:

CD

I'm surfing the web in my hotel room, while an elephant is walking around the room directly above me. :mad:

CD

You have one of them also? Pirate can wake the dead just walking across the room in a few feet. It is a good thing my apartment is located over the mechanical room. :wacko:

Dang, casey, that sucks. I always ask for a top floor room, or at least for a room with no one above us. There was this one timeshare week when a family with a young child was above. That child spent the better part of when we were in our unit imitating the Easter Bunny. :glare:

Even with a mixture of peat moss into the concrete to lighten the weight of the boulders they still weigh a ton. I've been using various concrete dyes to create that earthen look.

Here's an early stage of one curbside area with a few boulders in place...
Showed your photo to Himself and said "look at these rocks". He said "so, they're rocks". He was surprised that you actually made them! They sure look like the real thing.

I think I'm pretty much cried out for the night. :cry: SIL and I had a couple of good, long hugs, complete with both of us bawling our eyes out. They're probably sound asleep in their hotel right now, visions of packers and moving vans dancing in their heads. Their stuff will be moved into the new house either Tuesday or Wednesday next week, then they're on their way to FL to spend the holidays with their daughter. Spending holidays with your kids is special :heart: We'll be leaving early next week for OH. At least I have something to distract my mind with until I get used to them not being up at the top of the street...

Back
Top Bottom