What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'm pretty much cried out for the night. :cry: SIL and I had a couple of good, long hugs, complete with both of us bawling our eyes out. They're probably sound asleep in their hotel right now, visions of packers and moving vans dancing in their heads. Their stuff will be moved into the new house either Tuesday or Wednesday next week, then they're on their way to FL to spend the holidays with their daughter. Spending holidays with your kids is special :heart: We'll be leaving early next week for OH. At least I have something to distract my mind with until I get used to them not being up at the top of the street...

:( CG...feeling for you. That's gotta be a huge change for all of you. I remember so many posts you've shared over the years of heading up the street to your SIL's house, sharing meals, and visiting.

Merry Christmas, and I hope you have a wonderful time in Ohio with your kiddos! :wub: Safe travels, and check in when you can.

Even with a mixture of peat moss into the concrete to lighten the weight of the boulders they still weigh a ton. I've been using various concrete dyes to create that earthen look.

Here's an early stage of one curbside area with a few boulders in place. It looks sparse now but there will be a couple more larger ones added, still 'curing' in their in-ground molds. Also, a couple of other varieties of low profile succulents will be planted here and there to add color and balance.View attachment 32551

Looks great, RF. They do look real! Great job - I've enjoyed looking at the pics of your yard renovations over the years.

I'm sitting in my truck outside by my boy's gym. It's a cold, dank, foggy day here, but it's actually kind of beautiful.

The gym is in an aluminum warehouse kind of building out in the middle of a huge field surrounded on 3 sides by mountain ridges.

On one side is a bog, another is a previously harvested corn field, and another is a huge field used as a pumpkin patch in the fall, which has now been turned and hayed over.

I opened my widows and first the stillness of the cold, misty air, and the dead silence caught my attention. Then, little by little, I started hearing the tiny, distant sounds of all kinds of birds and critters talking and going about their day.

A few birds were chirping, and one or two singing; some kind of egret or heron was moving about and sort of "cooing", and a couple of different kinds of frogs were croaking away.

It's just so peaceful.

As I was writing this, a small, red-tailed hawk plummeted from the sky and caught a mouse or some small rodent on the edge of the corn field. She ripped into the little beast, then flew off with it in her clutches,

Breakfast, anyone?

Last edited:
Even with a mixture of peat moss into the concrete to lighten the weight of the boulders they still weigh a ton. I've been using various concrete dyes to create that earthen look.

Here's an early stage of one curbside area with a few boulders in place. It looks sparse now but there will be a couple more larger ones added, still 'curing' in their in-ground molds. Also, a couple of other varieties of low profile succulents will be planted here and there to add color and balance.View attachment 32551

Very cool, rf. I love the contrast of the rocks and cacti.

I picture it almost looking like one of those little succulent terrariums when it's done.

I love decorative rocks in landscaping.

I wish you lived nearby. We have A LOT of boulders. You can take your fill.
You can't put a shovel in the ground halfway without hitting a big rock anywhere on my property. From the size of a fist, to the size of a car.

My basement was blasted out of ledgerock/bedrock, so they used all of the detritus to level and backfill the land. There's just a thin layer of topsoil covering an otherwise iron and granite mountain.

Last edited:
I'm sitting in my truck outside by my boy's gym. It's a cold, dank, foggy day here, but it's actually kind of beautiful.

The gym is in an aluminum warehouse kind of building out in the middle of a huge field surrounded on 3 sides by mountain ridges.

On one side is a bog, another is a previously harvested corn field, and another is a huge field used as a pumpkin patch in the fall, which has now been turned and hayed over.

I opened my widows and first the stillness of the cold, misty air, and the dead silence caught my attention. Then, little by little, I started hearing the tiny, distant sounds of all kinds of birds and critters talking and going about their day.

A few birds were chirping, and one or two singing; some kind of egret or heron was moving about and sort of "cooing", and a couple of different kinds of frogs were croaking away.

It's just so peaceful.

As I was writing this, a small, red-tailed hawk plummeted from the sky and caught a mouse or some small rodent on the edge of the corn field. She ripped into the little beast, then flew off with it in her clutches,

Breakfast, anyone?

We have a plethora of Chickadees. Our state bird. When my granddaughter was about three, we would go for a walk in the summer headed for Dairy Queen. You could hear all the birds calling back and forth. One day I answered one with a whistle and it answered back. My GD has never forgotten that. I can talk to the birds. She is in her early 30's today.

Had a fun morning..

SIL was gifted a bonus check for safety in his work.. Nice sum but, it had to be used in one shopping trip.. :neutral:

We had a nice standing rib roast cut for Christmas dinner, which I will dry age in the fridge..
The kids wanted to share with us so I stocked up on baby back ribs, roasts and NY strip steaks.. Added ground round, sausage, etc., etc.

Was fun shopping.. My small freezer is full..

Topped off the morning with a Steak & Shake lunch.. I'm as full as my freezer.. ;)
Ross

Had a fun morning..

SIL was gifted a bonus check for safety in his work.. Nice sum but, it had to be used in one shopping trip.. :neutral:

We had a nice standing rib roast cut for Christmas dinner, which I will dry age in the fridge..
The kids wanted to share with us so I stocked up on baby back ribs, roasts and NY strip steaks.. Added ground round, sausage, etc., etc.

Was fun shopping.. My small freezer is full..

Topped off the morning with a Steak & Shake lunch.. I'm as full as my freezer.. ;)
Ross

It is always a happy moment when you can walk into a store and price is not a word to consider. Sounds like a great dinner is planned.

It is always a happy moment when you can walk into a store and price is not a word to consider. Sounds like a great dinner is planned.

LOL...It WAS fun.. I picked up a couple of steaks and Jeannie said, "These are less expensive".. We, all three, just looked at her, lovingly of course.. :LOL:
Ross

Just come inside, I've been propagating lettuces and spring onions. Planted out the 2 week ones for future salads. It's summer here.

Russ

For a change, I get to listen to a Cleveland Browns football game! Loved them in the 80's and 90's, but then they were gone from Cleveland for three years - the three years our son played varsity football. The team was reinstated - with a full roster of new players - the same time we were moving from OH to MA. Never did pay much attention to them since then. Baseball has always been my #1 sports love anyway. Also, we still had Buckeye football for gridiron entertainment. Suddenly, though, the Browns have a couple of good, young players and are entertaining. As in, with five wins so far this year, they've already topped the total number of wins they had the three previous years combined. Baby steps. :LOL:

OMG! The Browns WON!
sshocked_100-101.gif
This is their first win in Mile High Stadium since 1990!

6-7-1. We're going to the Super Bowl, baby! :ermm:

Just not this year. :LOL:

Getting ready to hit the road for OH tomorrow. I've got all my clothes, etc, packed. I have the stuff we need to cram in the car lined up. All that is left is packing CDs for listening (Christmas and regular ones), running the dishwasher, and personal grooming. Oh, and prying Himself from his comfy chair and getting HIM to get himself packed. (I just know I'll end up having to fold all of his tops - he's sooooo slooooow compared to this ex-gift wrap person. I got skillz. :cool:)

+1. Take care Mr. and Mrs. CG, and have a great trip.

Looking forward to hearing about road trip adventures and foodie stops. :chef::)

Thanks, Andy and Cheryl, and right back at ya for a Merry Christmas. As far as foodie posts, Cheryl? I'm hoping we get to Michael Symon's "Mabel's BBQ" for the kids' birthday this year. Two years ago the weather was seriously bad; we made it only partway, then decided it was better to go someplace closer. Last year we realized that the Cavaliers were in town playing - and Mabel's is a block or two over from the arena. IF we found a place to park, it could have cost north of $40. Nothing going on in downtown Cleveland on the kids' birthday this year.

Back
Top Bottom