What would you change in the American lifestyle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fascination with "celebrities" who do nothing but make faces in front of a camera. I don't care who is suing whom, who is divorcing a spouse, and why their opinion matters.
If we listened to people with background, education, and who have actually done something substantive, our lifestyle would be better.

Seeing-to-Believe, does anything need changing? From your Israeli point of view?

it's not that i like the israeli lifestyle that much {at least not in many ways}, but the american lifestyle might also benefit from a change in my opinion.

i don't like how spoiled the israelis became and it's feels like it is getting worse exponentially or something.....

if we are on a food site how can i not mention one of the topics in my messages 'signature' here..
i mean that americans can learn about the israeli eating habits more. it's not that israelis will eat well. they are not. but there is so much more "hearty" food in israel than in the US.

israelis are copying the american lifesyle for shopping too..

and clothing fashion. in israel it is getting better and worse at the same time.

but still. i prefer the way israelis dress much more than how americans do on average.

americans need to unite for the sake of making things and life simpler. some things are easy to change for the good and some are not. but without uniting and thinking together it will not get better i guess.

one thing that i thing will contribute is to build small communities {"forums"} and not rely on awful centerelised websites life facebook. when it will happen, a lot of good ideas and opinions will pop out and it will be hard to stop all this goodness.

but for god sake {if he exists}. stop rushing after awful trends. and i think the worst is big tech which narrowing down the mind and our ideas and our tolerance.

something has to happen!! and soon!

personally i don't watch tv or perhaps very very rarely these days.
and i use anonymous user on facebook.. i use facebook for trying to change perceptions of people mostly..

good luck to us all!!!!

Seeing-To-Believe,

There are a lot of people that live and die by the media (if you can believe it), and the advertising (buy buy buy, be a good citizen and buy more, finance it if nothing else), have the biggest, most, best, newest...craziness is not how everyone lives their lives.

There are so many groups and communities, locally (in every area), centered around gardens, health, cooking, or arts, or activism, or culture, or history......you name it, it can be found in all the united states, states, counties, cities.

Since this is a forum on cooking.....let's look at the difference in Israeli cooking and US cooking. https://www.israel21c.org/13-reasons-you-should-eat-like-an-israeli/
Israel (if this article is true) eats more mediterranean as a diet type than the SAD (standard american diet).

My opinion aside (on what I cook or what I eat), what do you mean by more "hearty" food? The US is very diverse in that respect.

I mean, what does hearty mean? More whole grains, larger portions, more filling and satisfying, more variety...I'm not sure what the hearty means. Maybe share some examples of hearty Israeli dishes.

the typical American diet today consists of fat, sugar and salt.

I do the shopping - and I'm often gagged when I look at what mothers with young children are filling their carts with.

I also see elderly - oft sadly what appears to be a male (my presumption: widower) stocking up with prepared "meals-in-a-box/tray" - again the assumption....they don't know how to cook.
and also elderly (women) - digging thru their change purse of 'this week's food money'

people on a last century fixed income really cannot afford fresh vegetables, fresh fish, or much anything past cheapest chicken/ground beef....

but none of that applies to people raising young children. I remember when "TV Dinners / Swanson" came out. My mom tried them, I think twice.... Chef Boyardee and Dinty More stew were about the only 'prepared' stuff I can remember.
I was a latch-key kid, both parents worked, and my mother came home every night and scratch cooked a dinner.

I'm very influenced by the mid-60's/70's European style. meat/beef/chicken is a flavoring ingredient. menus listed beef by grams in the dish. but it is all prepared from fresh stuff. in winter, veggies that stored well - nothing was air freighted to the town square market.

you see recent thread celebrating asparagus - one of the earliest spring treats after a long winter of cabbage, potatoes, turnips, etc etc.

there's no reason to buy frozen mac&cheese - takes less time to make it from scratch than re-bake it. one could list thousands of such dishes better prepared from scratch.
but....for the single/widow/widower buying "fresh" is extremely wasteful. for one or two people, the quantities sold go bad/rot/turn to mush . . . long before they can be used. in most European markets, you can buy 50 grams of this, 100 grams of that - not an option in USA. here's a 5 lb/2,5kilo bag of onions, poorly stored, half of which will rot before you can use them....

USA marketing people are not paying attention to demographics. USA is fixing to have a mega-wave of old people.

Last edited:
i know it's not everyone (or everyone all the time) although i tend to forget it often.

in israel people will eat on average more produce and less of loads of cheese. the food manufacturers are often not that big like the average food item in the us which is made by very big comapies most of the time.

israelis will eat "home food" {translation} more often which more "hearty". like cooked vegetables/pulses/chicken in low fat sauces along with some hearty grains like rice and couscous.

it is different than the usual hearty food in the us because it is not vegan or vegetarian many times. and it is made from different ingredients..

anyhow the mothers that used to cook for us are now old. these days people lack this knowledge of cooking and time to cook {tv is better, no??} and we are at least at the moment going down hill.

for me it is easier to talk about what is not hearty in the us diet..
the ultimate picture that i've in mind is this american dish that's made of a huge block of semi soft cheese and grilled with a crust and eaten in big portions.
i know it is not that common dish but it is iconic for me as an impression of how sad the SAD diet might be..

and not eating this hearty food more than the bad food is making life much more depressing and desperate.

btw. it is known that israelis will often eat a lot too. it is common that an israeli will load a lot of food at the hotel breakfast and eat so much and throw so much of what he has left on the plates.

day to day food should be simple and high quality in moderate portions most of the time.

but when it comes to food the point is that it isn't like that.

discovering cooking methods will change the world if will happen
good food is a lot of hope

i hope to invest more than half an hour a week on my hebrew cooking website so i can contribute and bring more of the ideas that i have on food.
i've the time buy not the energy for it. at least now.

the name of the website is "acquired taste" in hebrew.

what do you think overall?!

feel free to tell me whatever you might want people

thanks for the link.

Last edited:
Very simple answer to your question.
Nothing.
Americans are happy with their lifestyle, just as we Brits are happy with our lifestyle, and Les Francais are happy with their lifestyle.
Are Israelis unhappy with their lifestyle?

the question whether americans want to change is a good question.
personally i think they do want to change. at least to some degree. like everyone else.

what would you change in americans or in other lifestyles of other countries?

What is described in the above posts are a typical Westerner lifestyle promoted by Hollywood movies and TV Shows.

Australians are no different, lower the Australian Flag, add another star to the USA Flag and raise it on Australian Soil.

The reality of life is people are born with free will to make informed choices.

Trends are influenced by the Hollywood marketing machine.

Music has become loud electronic music centred on a heavy bass drum.

Technology has turned people into androids.

People with their eyes glued to their mobile phones - the fear of missing out on the latest gossip.

Don't try changing trends, music listening habits or associate with androids.

I am a maverick and enjoy being a maverick.

Being a maverick means I am not influenced by anyone.

Looking back on the past 70 years of living on Planet Earth, my quality of life today is superior to when I was a child.

A successful person learns from making mistakes.

An inept person repeats the same scenario expecting a different outcome.

People have access to the same resources, stop making excuses. Step off the carousel.

What is described in the above posts are a typical Westerner lifestyle promoted by Hollywood movies and TV Shows.

Australians are no different, lower the Australian Flag, add another star to the USA Flag and raise it on Australian Soil.

The reality of life is people are born with free will to make informed choices.

Trends are influenced by the Hollywood marketing machine.

Music has become loud electronic music centred on a heavy bass drum.

Technology has turned people into androids.

People with their eyes glued to their mobile phones - the fear of missing out on the latest gossip.

Don't try changing trends, music listening habits or associate with androids.

I am a maverick and enjoy being a maverick.

Being a maverick means I am not influenced by anyone.

Looking back on the past 70 years of living on Planet Earth, my quality of life today is superior to when I was a child.

A successful person learns from making mistakes.

An inept person repeats the same scenario expecting a different outcome.

People have access to the same resources, stop making excuses. Step off the carousel.

I think you are oversimplifying. Lots of people only follow or are influenced by some trends, but manage to ignore other trends. Some of us want to learn the good stuff and learn to avoid the bad, so that's what we try to do. I find it impossible to be completely uninfluenced by the world or by my circle of friends and acquaintances. I'm not sure I want to remain totally uninfluenced by what is happening now.

Oh dear, you really have no idea what a regular American likes, does, or eats, do you? I would think that most of what you know of the U.S. is from media of some sort. You need to spend a week in a typical town or city, observe its people, eat at their tables, and experience the culture of that area. You would be surprised that not all the women dress provocatively, the men don't all tote guns, and not everyone eats McDonald's every day. Take a look through our nightly dinner threads here to see what we all eat. Granted not everyone in the U.S. balances out their meals perfectly, but what you see in my photos is pretty much the same way we fed our kids in the 1980's and '90s - with some regional exceptions because of price differences due to availability.

Perhaps you might direct your attention to improving a country starting with Israel. After all, your country has many serious problems, just different from the U.S. Eye/plank/speck/etc...

even tho you feel like the conversation was enough i don't think it is. there is still a lot of what to talk about ..

even tho you feel like the conversation was enough i don't think it is. there is still a lot of what to talk about ..

Maybe there is more to be said. If the subject gets political, then this is not the place to discuss it. There is enough heated political discussion on other forums. We prefer to keep this cooking forum friendly. I like being able to come here and not be aggravated by the stupid things that people almost always say in political discussions online.

Maybe there is more to be said. If the subject gets political, then this is not the place to discuss it. There is enough heated political discussion on other forums. We prefer to keep this cooking forum friendly. I like being able to come here and not be aggravated by the stupid things that people almost always say in political discussions online.

Exactly and amen.

Ross

i mean regardless of politics of course

i wish we could talk politics too but there is a lot of what to talk about even without politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom