What would you change in the American lifestyle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would change the way communities interact. Neighborhood block parties should be incouraged, with all bringing something to share. If I could change the world, electrical power generation would use renewable resources on every home, with proper insulation decreasing the need for power. Cooking could be done with solar ovens, steam produced by evacuated solar collector tubes, and with home grown produce helped out by insulated, solar heated green houses to extend and control the growing season. Rain water runoff from rooftops would be collected, filtered, and stored in insect proof containers to protect agaist mosquito larva breeding. Also, grey water could be treated, and purified by pumping into large ponds with lots of underwater plant life, and aqua culture, then reused for irigation. I would do away with lawns, and opt for native, insect, and animal friendly yards that support honeybers, butterflies, and birds, with edible herbs, and flowers as part of the mix. In arid places, succulents that are draught resistand would take the place of grass. Most of all, neighbors, and communities need for everyone to know and support each other. Meat would become a seaoning., or be eaten primarily when grains and veggies are not available, as in snowy climates. More pulses would become a regular part of meals, as would berries, orher fruits, and nuts. Children would be taught to respect others, to help maintain the households, integrity, honesty, good work habits, to lift others, and to help those that need help. Walking would again become a major mode of transport, as well as bicycles, and motorcycles that use far less energy to mova a person than does a four wheeled vehicle. Finally, people need to elect leaders more interested in healing the planet, rather than building war machines.

That's the changes I would like to see.

Seeeeya, Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Set the example.

Be open to others and what you can learn from them.

Learn from the changes you make.
Teach others that are interested.

Americans eat the wrong foods and are lazy. I include myself in this; until last year when I found out I was diabetic, I ate well and exercised, but I ramped everything up this year. I'm 35 lbs lighter, all my labs are much better, and my family benefits from eating better - and being more aware of what we're eating - too.

Quite an old thread, but interesting nonetheless.
I've never been in the usa, so I can't say anything about the life style.
Besides that, I don't think you can compare say Alaska with california with the mid west.

I think that arents 50+ years ago would have loved the option of fast food and ready meals but they just weren't there and mostly meals were home-cooked.
Then somewhere 20-30 years ago, people went overboard with reafy stuff, followed by a wave of home cooking (even more intense during covid years)

Besides that, I don't think you can compare say Alaska with california with the mid west.

I think that arents 50+ years ago would have loved the option of fast food and ready meals but they just weren't there and mostly meals were home-cooked.
Then somewhere 20-30 years ago, people went overboard with reafy stuff, followed by a wave of home cooking (even more intense during covid years)
There were frozen TV dinner in the 1950s and 60s. There were canned soups and lots of kinds of veg and fruit in cans. By some time in the 1960s, there were frozen pies that just needed to be put in the oven and baked, both savoury and sweet. Ready made foods were available and overused.

There were frozen TV dinner in the 1950s and 60s. There were canned soups and lots of kinds of veg and fruit in cans. By some time in the 1960s, there were frozen pies that just needed to be put in the oven and baked, both savoury and sweet. Ready made foods were available and overused.
Sounds like a lot more was available in the states than Europe.
I did forget about the canned stuff, although that was basically soup, beans, peas and corn.
On the frozen section I only recall satay and pizza, and that was mid 70's

You bring up an interesting perspective on the changing food and lifestyle trends in the United States over the years. It's true that the lifestyle and food choices can vary significantly from one region to another within the country, and comparing places like Alaska, California, and the Midwest can be quite different in terms of food culture and lifestyle.

Thanks for the information!

You bring up an interesting perspective on the changing food and lifestyle trends in the United States over the years. It's true that the lifestyle and food choices can vary significantly from one region to another within the country, and comparing places like Alaska, California, and the Midwest can be quite different in terms of food culture and lifestyle

"Glasses for reading" has been a game-changer in my academic journey. As a student who enjoys writing, my reading glasses have become an essential tool. They've not only made my reading experience more comfortable but have significantly improved my focus. When it comes to tackling tasks like "write my annotated bibliography for me," https://essaypro.com/annotated-bibliography-writing-service these glasses have been a lifeline. The clarity and precision they provide make the research and writing process smoother and more efficient. Plus, they come in various stylish designs, so I can keep my scholarly look while embracing this valuable accessory. Reading glasses - a must-have for every dedicated student and writer!.

I agree with you, the information was helpful

I think it's awfully rude for someone who doesn't live in the US to start a discussion about what needs to change with the US lifestyle. And even moreso that half the respondents don't live in the US either! Why don't you engage in conversation about what needs to change in your own country? You don't want to get me started on Ben..... Net.......

Our lifestyle is just fine - we live here and we like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom