Dinner for Monday, April 28

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
either.. shrimp and scallops in Buckytoms garlic sauce or
scrambled eggs with elk steak and onions.
Hi there:)I am just wondering what Elk Steak tastes like, if you could possibly describe it to an Aussie who has NEVER tried it before, It sounds wonderful, I love trying new things, I know I will never be able to try it over here, But Boy it sounds so nice, I am just curious, Thanks if you can help explain.:cool:

Change of plans. There was bad weather, including some tornadoes, so rather than send DH to the grocery store, I went with what we had on hand. Pan-grilled salmon with ancho-honey glaze (Bobby Flay's recipe), green beans with garlic and ancho chile powder, and baked potatoes. Came out very well.

I also forgot to add my meal, but we had it last night as your Monday is our Tuesday, so for Monday night here we had, Grilled Coral Trout done in Garlic and Lemon Butter,with S/P, Oh and a bit of Chilli and Pineapple Sauce mixed into the Garlic and Lemon Butter.
Also we had fresh steamed Brocoli with Carrots and a nice Salad. It was very nice. We are trying to eat more healthy meals and less Junk, we get so sick and tired of Junk, it is even making my son sick when he has to work and is forced to by Junk, so now I am packing his meal for him to take to work, so hopefully this will be better and work better for him.

Here are pics of dinner tonight: Jamie Oliver's "Grilled spatchcocked chicken with new potatoes" and roasted sprouts for the veg. For dessert I made the cookies from a cake mix that has been a thread on here. The flavor??? Orange cake mix with white chips

Attachments

• ChickenNPotatoes.jpg
    ChickenNPotatoes.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 177
  • OrangeVanillaCakeCookies.jpg
    OrangeVanillaCakeCookies.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 243
Surprisingly (or not) it came out quite well.
I owe it all to DC. The reading gave me a leg up on trying to make this work.
Thank you!
(dang, I should have written this one down!)

Attachments

• April 28 soup.jpg
    April 28 soup.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 181
Hi there:)I am just wondering what Elk Steak tastes like, if you could possibly describe it to an Aussie who has NEVER tried it before, It sounds wonderful, I love trying new things, I know I will never be able to try it over here, But Boy it sounds so nice, I am just curious, Thanks if you can help explain.:cool:

Hi, to us elk tastes very much like beef.
But..then again we think bear tastes like beef too:).

I sauteed some boneless chicken breasts in EVOO with a little butter, sliced them into nice bites and bathed them in mango orange sauce, then served them with a rice pilaf and salad. Dessert was just vanilla ice cream.

I thought Elk was a regular export of NZ. can't get it in Oz?
I didnt even know it was from Kiwi land, I thought it was Canadian, But I may be wrong, thats why I am asking the question as I have never tried it, and I know we cant get it here. As I said, Im just curious and interested.:)

Hi, to us elk tastes very much like beef.
But..then again we think bear tastes like beef too:).
:)Thanks for explaining that to me pdswife, I was just curious and always wondering, if you dont ask, then you will never know, its like us here in Aussie land,telling people that everything tastes like chicken, who knows, it might, then again, it might not, know one knows for sure, Thanks again.:cool:

You mean everything DOESN'T taste like chicken, SpiritWolf??? LOL

I didn't know elk came from NZ either. We probably only import the people and tv shows. ;-) [J/K Kiwi cousins!!!]

zapped scrambled eggs for dinner last night for me.

Thank you!

Don't ya hate when that happens?
Something turns out REALLY great, you didn't write anything down, the next time you make it you can't remember for the life of you what you did! :ohmy:

Here ya go down under folks. Maybe this is where I saw it before.
Elk
I wasn't saying Elk originated in NZ, but I knew they produced it commercially there.

Don't ya hate when that happens?
Something turns out REALLY great, you didn't write anything down, the next time you make it you can't remember for the life of you what you did! :ohmy:

Exactly! You start adding stuff, spices, I even added one of the frozen globs of tomato paste I had in the freezer :)
No sense writing down the ingredients as I have no idea of the proportions :rolleyes:

Looks good, Dave. Like your Currier & Ives dinnerware.

Thanks Katie! Would you believe most of the set dinner set belonged to Mother and my Grandmother. I grew up eating off those very same plates when I was a child. So, they are atleast ..Hmmm 45 years old??? (Just like me ;) )

I have picked up a few replacement pieces, like the small bowl, recently. Seems like I am seeing more and more of the C&I at the thrift stores these days. Oh well, more for me to collect.

Last edited:
Thank you!

I did that al the time and lost some really great recipes. So I got myself a small dry erase board and marker to hang in my kitchen. Now I can jot it down as I go and then write it up properly later on. Since the markers are plastic there is no worry about getting them dirty since they clean up easily!

That's a great idea Dave!
I bought a notebook to keep in the kitchen, and it worked for awhile, but it got hidden for awhile, then the kids absorbed it.......
I have it again now, but I like your idea better!

Back
Top Bottom