Safe Recipes for Renal Failure Patients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I will be using recipes from my blog, and posting them in this thread. They were specifically designed for those with compromised kidney function, but are recipes that taste great, and that can bring some joy back into eating, in spite of dietary restrictions. I hope everyone likes them.

These first recipes were put together for a grand 4th of July meal, but can be used any time. Enjoy.

G.W.’s GoodGrub, Lesson 89– Special dietary Restriction Recipes That Taste Great – 4th Of July Fixin’s
Posted on June 26, 2021

4th O July Cookout

No matter you favorite 4th of July meal, one of these is sure to please.
From top to bottom, we have burgers, prepped and ready for the grill, Beef Fajitas, Honey-glazed duck, and Smoked beef tenderloin. Unfortunately, for those of us on dialysis, sausages, hot dogs, and cured meats are off of our menu. These recipes will make sure that you don’t miss them.

Charcoal Grilled Burgers
First the burgers. I make mine just a little different. My technique eliminates shrinkage, and guarantees a juicy, tender grilled burger. This picture shows clearly what I do differently:
I add one large egg to the uncooked ground beef. I use 80/20 ground round, as it has great flavor. Simply work the egg into the ground beef, then form into patties. Don’t compress the burger patties, You want them round, with smooth edges, and slightly thinner in the middle. Place the patties over a solid bed of charcoal, and season with Salt &
Pepper. Grill for four minutes per side. Enjoy you juicy burger on grilled buns, with lettuce chopped onion, relish, dill pickles, and maybe a little ketchup. Yum.

Beef Fajitas:
Traditionally, fajitas are made with skirt steak, though flank steak, and hangar steak work equally well.
The meat is marinated for three hours or so to both flavor and tenderize.

Here’s the marinade:
⅓ cup lime juice
¼ cup fresh, uncooked pineapple juice (pineapple has enzymes that tenderize meat.)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoon EACH: ground cumin and chili powder
1 teaspoon EACH: kosher salt and smoked paprika
½ teaspoon EACH: black pepper and red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
¼ cup chopped cilantro
Fajitas:
1 ½ – 2 pounds skirt or flank steak
1 tablespoon oil (high heat)
1 medium white onion, sliced
1 large poblano, ribs and seeds removed then sliced
2-3 bell peppers, thinly sliced (red, yellow, and orange)

Combine the marinade ingredients in a glass, or stainless steel bowl Slice the beef against the grain, into thin strip. Place into the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in fridge for at least 2 hours.

Slice the peppers, and onion into strips. Cover, and set aside. After the 2 hours has elapsed, fire up the charcoal, or gas grill, I prefer charcoal. Use tongs to place meat strips over the fire. Cook for 4 minutes, the remove to a platter. Add 2 tbs. Cooking oil to a heavy frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the sliced veggies and sauté until slightly tender, but not mushy. Add the beef strips to the pan, along with the marinade. Cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and serve on corn tortillas.

Honey Glazed Duck
Felling adventurous? This honey glazed duck is a show stopper, but takes some time to prepare. It is patterned after Peking Duck, but without all of the sides of that meal. First, we start with the duck. Hang the duck in a cool place, with a fan blowing air onto it.

Make a solution of 1 cup honey, and 1 cup water. Paint the duck skin with the honey/water. Let dry. Repeat this process four times. Place charcoal into two beds on either side of the grill. Place a disposable aluminum loaf pan between the hot charcoal filled with 2 cups water. Place the duck, breast side up, over the drip pan. Roast to an internal temp. Of 150’ F. Slice, and serve.

Finally, I give you Roasted Beef Tenderloin
Tenderloin, though a favorite beef cut due to its tenderness, doesn’t have ss much flavor as a sirloin, or rib steak. We are going to make this tenderloin so very flavorful.

We will make a compound butter to add both flavor, and a beautiful crust on our beef. The compound butter will be used two ways, injected into the roast, and rubbed all over it. Grilling over a divided bed of charcoal will take it over the top.

COMPOUND BUTTER:
2 sticks (8 oz) salted butter, softened to room temperature
½ cup chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, sage, summer savory, and thyme
1 small shallot minced
1 garlic clove crushed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine the compound butter ingredients, stirring until well blended. Divide into 2 parts.

Grilled Beef Tenderloin
1 (6-to 7-pound) whole beef tenderloin
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper or more, to taste
Kosher salt

Melt half of the compound butter in a small saucepan.
Pat the tenderloin dry with paper towels. Trim away excess fat. Slide the blade under the long silvery membrane (silverskin) and remove it.
Fold about 6 inches of the thin flap end of the meat under the rest of the tenderloin to even the thickness of the roast.. Tie the tenderloin with kitchen string at 3-inch (8-cm) intervals.
Rub the tenderloin all over with oil. Rub with pepper, pressing it into the meat, and season with salt. Use a meat injector to inject the melted compound butter all over in the meat. Rub the rest of the butter evenly over the roast.

Prepare charcoal for indirect grilling (bed of charcoal on one side). Grill the beef over the hottest part of the grill, turning it every few minutes so a slightly charred crust develops all over, 20 to 25 minutes. Move roast to cool side of the grill and cover. Use a remote meat thermometer set 20 120’F to tell you when the roast is done. Remove to a platter, and let rest for 20 minutes before carving. Serve with good dinner rolls to sop up any meat juices, and a macaroni salad, with grilled corn on the cob.

May your hot things be served hot, your cold things be served cold, and your Aged Gouda be served at room temperature;

There is no success outside of the home that justifies failure within the home.

Seeeeeya Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom