Dinner Tues. 6/21/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joey...Rock...Kay....kgirl....gg....Steve....beautiful pics! :yum:

This has been one of the most inspirational dinner threads in a long time - to everyone who posted....I'm so inspired. :chef:

I haven't actually cooked in quite a while...been out of town, and it's been so freakin' hot that it's been cold plates for dinner. I made a pot of navy beans and ham with veggies today, will probably make some corn bread tomorrow and call that dinner for the next couple of days.

I do have some shrimp in the freezer....Kay...I've just GOT to make Shrimp Louie! :):yum:

I sauteed the beet greens in olive oil, garlic and onions until wilted. Layered a couple of layers of the lasagne noodles with the sauce, then the greens, then, two more layers of sauce. Topped with more feta, mozzarella and Parmesan. The sauce is a bottled sauce we carry at the deli...quite sweet..

I could try making it with those instructions. Did you put feta between the layers? You said to top with more feta, you didn't say anything about putting it in between the layers.

Forgive me. I have never attempted to make lasagna. It has always intimated me

I could try making it with those instructions. Did you put feta between the layers? You said to top with more feta, you didn't say anything about putting it in between the layers.

Yes. I put feta between the layers. I made a mixture of feta and mozzerella and sprinkled a bit between each layer, then saved a good portion of it to make a nice melted/browned layer on top...

Thanks. I'll do my best to get up the guts to try it. God only knows what canned tomato sauce I'll decide on. I'll read the ingredient list on the bottle and then choose the one that sounds best to me.

There are several threads on making lasagna with tips from quite a few people, including me, on here. It's really quite easy, just a lot of steps. The making can be spread out over a couple of days. Make the sauce (so MUCH better than canned/jarred) and grate the cheese 1 day, then put it together the next. You can even use the no-boil noodles (though most of us do at least soak them in some hot water first to get the process going and end up with a better result).

Best thing of all for a person living alone or for just 2, is that it really doesn't take much more time to make a big pan of lasagna than a small one, so that you can portion it out, wrap and freeze for later use. Or, do like I do and make 2 or 3 small pans and freeze before baking, so all I have to do is pull one from the freezer, pop it in the oven, make a bit of extra sauce while it's cooking and then have an easy, peasy dinner.

Just a note on a bit of frugality, I don't use disposable pans, I line my baking pans with HD foil, fill them, pop them in the freezer for a bit, then take them out, lift out with the foil "handles" I leave, then wrap and back into freezer. Come baking time, I just put them back in the baking pans and go from there.

There are several threads on making lasagna with tips from quite a few people, including me, on here. It's really quite easy, just a lot of steps. The making can be spread out over a couple of days. Make the sauce (so MUCH better than canned/jarred) and grate the cheese 1 day, then put it together the next. You can even use the no-boil noodles (though most of us do at least soak them in some hot water first to get the process going and end up with a better result).

Best thing of all for a person living alone or for just 2, is that it really doesn't take much more time to make a big pan of lasagna than a small one, so that you can portion it out, wrap and freeze for later use. Or, do like I do and make 2 or 3 small pans and freeze before baking, so all I have to do is pull one from the freezer, pop it in the oven, make a bit of extra sauce while it's cooking and then have an easy, peasy dinner.

Just a note on a bit of frugality, I don't use disposable pans, I line my baking pans with HD foil, fill them, pop them in the freezer for a bit, then take them out, lift out with the foil "handles" I leave, then wrap and back into freezer. Come baking time, I just put them back in the baking pans and go from there.[/QUOTE]

That's a great tip MT, wondering why I never thought of it.
Liz, you can also roll up the partially cooked noodles with the goodies inside and the sauce on top. It makes for easy serving.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom