How do you like Chinese food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love springrolls with a sweet and sour dip.
I also make lots of stir fries. They are a good thing to make when I have a lotsof vegies in the house. And l love tofu.

Mel

spring rolls

there are actually a few types of spring rolls Besides deep fried spring rolls.

there is one type of spring roll in which fresh unfried skins are used. Both Cooked and fresh ingredients such as shrimps, turnips, eggs, lettuce and peanuts, chilli are place on the skin. It is the rolled up like a springroll and eaten straight like it is.

There are also various types of skins used for the spring rolls. Such as beancurd skins.

Thats a cool idea Conkee.
I think I will try making uncooked springrolls. I never heard of them before. :)

Mel

there are actually a few types of spring rolls Besides deep fried spring rolls.

there is one type of spring roll in which fresh unfried skins are used. Both Cooked and fresh ingredients such as shrimps, turnips, eggs, lettuce and peanuts, chilli are place on the skin. It is the rolled up like a springroll and eaten straight like it is.

There are also various types of skins used for the spring rolls. Such as beancurd skins.

I call them summer rolls and I associate them with Vietnamese cuisine. I like to use shrimp, rice noodles, cucumber, red pepper, fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime and dip in fish sauce mixed with some lime juice and hot chili flakes. I have also used left-over flank steak in them. I hope this link will take you to the pics.

Being a vegetarian, I love chinese food because it is one of the few restaurants that can provide me with many choices. The place I go to has a complete vegetarian menu, in addition to a regular menu. They make the best vegetarian hot and sour soup Ive had. Actually, thats not %100 true. There used to be a chain of chinese restaurants here on long island called ' homers'. They had the best, but they overextended themselves and they al went out of business. Then Empire szechuan replaced many of them. They are very good, but the original homers was great. Sorry for rambling on, just remembering the good old days :)

chinese food is amazing. My favorite is lemon chicken and orange chicken.

You should try the Chinese dumplings (similar to pot stickers) my exchange student, J, made the other day. He spent like 8 hours doing it, but they looked beautiful and were so good! He put a bit of habanero in them and it added a perfect amount of spice. We ate them with white vinegar and soy sauce. He also made these meatballs rolled in rice with shrimp on top. I don't like shrimp, but it looked very professional.

I love sesame chicken and garlic chicken (my favorite place uses the same base sauce for both).

Cashew chicken (aka Springfield Chicken) is an Chinese-American creation but is really good.

I love Chinese food! My friend from work is from Hong Kong and she takes me to a restaurant in the northern part of Cincinnati that specializes in seafood, she does all of our ordering in Mandarin and the lobster stir fry we get with noodles is amazing. we go there about once a month for lobster and dim sum.

I love chinese veg spring rolls. Authientic prawn crackers... other than i havent had much chinese food. I do love their noodles also..

I love Chinese food and plan to go to PF Chang's for my birthday dinner. I know it's a chain but I do like their food. Yum.

Dim Sum In Chicago's China Town

I have enjoyed Dim Sum style served meals in two Chinese restaurants located South of the Loop in Chicago in Chinatown: Three Happiness and Phoenix. Both are good.

The food is delivered on small carts and you choose the small plates that you want to sample. Think Chinese tapas, and you go and enjoy a range of special foods that you may never attempt at home: chicken feet for example. Dumplings and shrimp toasts or rolls are top notch.

The Szechwan House on Michigan Ave at Ohio closed. Across the street and under the 625 Michigan Ave., building is Hunan Cafe , it was good a few years ago. I don't get there now.

Last edited:
which asian food do you guys think is the best in asia? ( no voting on your own :))

I have never been to any of the Asian countries so this is my preference based on how the Asian cuisines are served where I lived. Some are authentic and some,... well maybe not so. Japanese first preference, then Thai, Malaysian hawker cuisine, Korean, Chinese dim sum.

which asian food do you guys think is the best in asia? ( no voting on your own :))
Just recently we have had a few authentic Chinese places open and they both have quickly become my favorite restaurants. You will not find things like chicken fingers or General Tso's Chicken (not that those are not great dishes, just not authentic). I would have to pick authentic Chinese as my favorite Asian food right now, even though Sushi is my favorite overall food. I have not had much more than sushi from Japanese cuisine and don't really know what is authentic past that. I love Korean and Thai and Indian and Vietnamese. I don't think I could pick a second place choice because they are all so good, but so different.

I like my Chineese food a lot. Pretty much much anything.

Of course, the question is do we really know what real chineese food is? I know russian food that you can get in some restaraunts are really not russian or hae very little in cominbg with the real thing. I'm afraid it is the same with Chinees e food too.

Exactly. I'm expanding my horizons with Chinese and Japanese food. Usually I have to Google a dish to see if I'd enjoy it. However, I find Chinese to be a tad greasy to eat alot. Like what Charlie stated, do the retaurants cater to the American palate or no?

Jeekinz and Charlie, around here most Chinese places are Americanized Chinese. You will find nothing authentic on the menu at all. However recently there has been a trend to open authentic places. There are two about 30 minutes from me (in my parents town). Each restaurant specializes in food from a particular region in China (one is based on the Chongqing region and I am not sure about the other) so their menus are very different from each other. They both do have a very small selection of Americanized Chinese items, but if you look around you will not see anyone ordering them. Also when you look around you will find that most, if not all, the people as Asian. Both of these restaurants were started by people who came here from China and were disappointed that they could not get the food they were used to at home here. I am so happy they did because the food at both places is simply amazing.

I've been to a few Chinese restaurants in the U.S. One was in San Francisco's Chinatown where I thought the food was great. Some of the dishes were pretty authentic. Another one was at Half-Moon Bay (in California) which was not good at all. The few Chinese restaurants I tried in New York's Chinatown were pretty good too. But the Chinese food at the food courts (L.A., Philly) I tried were baaaad.

I guess one can deduce that outside Chinatown, Chinese food will most likely be not so good.

That reminds me, I had the BEST food the other day at a place called the Indian Oven. (Does Indian count as Asian?). They had this homemade cheese that was probably the best cheese I had ever tasted. It was served with a spinach sauce over rice. We also had a bbq chicken dish with a homemade yogurt sauce (it was similar to sour cream) and of course it all had authentic Indian spices. They served these wheel-shaped chips with a garlic/lime/mint sauce that was really good, and also naan bread. It may be my new favorite place!

Way back in the beginning of this post, MSG was criticized. I'd like to counter that: MSG occurs naturally in things like soy sauce, and "free glutimates" also occur naturally in other foods. MSG is a flavour enhancer that some credit with providing "umami". It's nothing to be ashamed of, but you DO have to know how to use it properly :-p

Also, I was never a fan of Japanese food. I'm partial to the chinese and vietnamese food we find in Chinatown.

Mike

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom