"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 22,673
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Supper, Thursday 2012 July 26

I hope I'm not duplicating.

My intention is to make beef stroganoff for supper. I got a deal on a whole beef tenderloin yesterday. w00t!

I'm feeling too lazy to make egg noodles, so it will be fettuccine, and a salad on the side. Still deciding if I want to serve that with red or rosé wine. It's ot and muggy, so chilled wine is quite appealing.

__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,405
Tenderloin deals. Yay!

Sweet chili Basa with Udon noodles
__________________

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
 
Sheyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 12
sloppy joes (a homemade sauce), homemade fries (baked), tomato salad and ice cream
Sheyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,259
Skillet dinner with hash browns and kielbasa.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,671
A slice of stinky aged brick cheese, mmmmm. Overly spicy chili with peppers and mushrooms and 3 cucumber spears I threw in the left over pickle brine.
A small fruit smoothie after dinner for dessert-plum, peach, apple.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post

Sweet chili Basa with Udon noodles
...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00670.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	14665  
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
Icy cold platter of cucumbers, tomatoe's from the yard and, avocados, drizzled with lime juice. stuffed zucchini and onions, grilled chicken pounded and smeared with herbed goat cheese, grilled potatoes with evoo,salt,pepper,garlic, and rose water,saffron pistashio Ice cream. for dessert.
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
jabbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 5,619
We had baked parmesan chicken ( NOT chicken parmesan!) I bread chicken breasts with Italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and drizzle with butter. Baked some potatoes and had some green beans.
__________________
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Greg Who Cooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in my kitchen
Posts: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My intention is to make beef stroganoff for supper. I got a deal on a whole beef tenderloin yesterday. w00t!

I'm feeling too lazy to make egg noodles, so it will be fettuccine, and a salad on the side. Still deciding if I want to serve that with red or rosé wine. It's ot and muggy, so chilled wine is quite appealing.
Sounds good!

Although I'm not sure it would be any saving of labor over egg noodles or fettuccine, I recommend fried potato straws! Our forum's "beef Stroganoff" topic has been inactive lately I continued to investigate authoritative sources, and I stand by my comments in the other topic that potato straws are consistent with authentic recipes since almost the original recipe (IIRC ~1860s).

I hope you or others will be encouraged to try Beef Stroganoff over fried potato straws. I tried it and I won't serve it any other way now that I know how good it is.


Me? I'm having nuke 'n puke tonight, which I'm sorrowful to say is all to often lately, due to my current residence and minimal kitchen facilities.

It will be Marie Callender's Country Fried Pork Chop & Gravy, a sad paean to what I would be eating if I had a decent kitchen.

this
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Some velveted pork in pork gravy with onion rice.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Greg Who Cooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in my kitchen
Posts: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
SIt will be Marie Callender's Country Fried Pork Chop & Gravy, a sad paean to what I would be eating if I had a decent kitchen.
Marie C. had some sort of apple thing in this nuke 'n puke package dinner. I tasted one bite and threw the rest away.

The pork chop was insipid, the gravy was anathema, and the potatoes were paste.

The best thing I can say about this product is that I'm glad I'll never ever have to eat it ever again. Y.U.C.K.
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 22,673
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Sounds good!

Although I'm not sure it would be any saving of labor over egg noodles or fettuccine, I recommend fried potato straws! Our forum's "beef Stroganoff" topic has been inactive lately I continued to investigate authoritative sources, and I stand by my comments in the other topic that potato straws are consistent with authentic recipes since almost the original recipe (IIRC ~1860s).

I hope you or others will be encouraged to try Beef Stroganoff over fried potato straws. I tried it and I won't serve it any other way now that I know how good it is.


Me? I'm having nuke 'n puke tonight, which I'm sorrowful to say is all to often lately, due to my current residence and minimal kitchen facilities.

It will be Marie Callender's Country Fried Pork Chop & Gravy, a sad paean to what I would be eating if I had a decent kitchen.

this
What exactly are potato straws? I would be willing to give it a try if it isn't too much effort or it's a day when I enjoy the effort.

Did you see what I posted as supper yesterday? http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ml#post1166023 Those nukable Indian meals are quite tasty and made of food, no weird chemicals. I assume they are fairly authentic. They are made in India and when Stirling left California after a three month contract, he posted the balance of his Indian nukable meals on Freecycle An Indian woman came and got them..
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Greg Who Cooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in my kitchen
Posts: 3,794
Potato straws, just nomenclature, "skinny French fries."

Same recipe, same procedure, same double fry method if you double fry your French fries.

Or just make French fries, but not fat ones. Make skinny ones. Or make your usual fries, probably not that much difference. I like "crispy" and the straw fries hold up better under gravy than fat ones.
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 22,673
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Potato straws, just nomenclature, "skinny French fries."

Same recipe, same procedure, same double fry method if you double fry your French fries.

Or just make French fries, but not fat ones. Make skinny ones. Or make your usual fries, probably not that much difference. I like "crispy" and the straw fries hold up better under gravy than fat ones.
I make French fries once every five years.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #15
Executive Chef
 
Greg Who Cooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in my kitchen
Posts: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Did you see what I posted as supper yesterday? http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ml#post1166023 Those nukable Indian meals are quite tasty and made of food, no weird chemicals. I assume they are fairly authentic. They are made in India and when Stirling left California after a three month contract, he posted the balance of his Indian nukable meals on Freecycle An Indian woman came and got them..
No I didn't see that. While I like Indian food in general (particularly tandoori and tikka) I'm not overly fond of vegetarian food. I'm sorry to say, but some kind of animal has to die for my dinner: beef, lamb, pork, fowl or fish (shrimp included). Maybe I should be ashamed of myself but I'm not. I can get through breakfast and lunch without killing animals but for dinner I want meat!

I'll probably die some day, killed by a vegan who does not believe in killing animals.
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 22,673
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
No I didn't see that. While I like Indian food in general (particularly tandoori and tikka) I'm not overly fond of vegetarian food. I'm sorry to say, but some kind of animal has to die for my dinner: beef, lamb, pork, fowl or fish (shrimp included). Maybe I should be ashamed of myself but I'm not. I can get through breakfast and lunch without killing animals but for dinner I want meat!

I'll probably die some day, killed by a vegan who does not believe in killing animals.
I'm a big time carnivore myself and I still think these are good.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Greg Who Cooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in my kitchen
Posts: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I make French fries once every five years.
Really, try it once, just for me, make some really crispy French fries, then serve your Beef Stroganoff over it. You'll at least see what I mean although you may not agree with me.

I already posted my cite in the Beef Stroganoff topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_stroganoff

Quote:
A 1912 recipe adds onions and tomato paste, and serves it with crisp potato straws, which are considered the traditional side dish in Russia.[2]
Quote:
[2]
  1. Joyce Toomre, ed., Classic Russian Cooking: Elena Molokhovets' A Gift to Young Housewives, 1992; first edition of Molokhovets was 1861; the 1912 recipe mentioned be Toomre is in Alekandrova-Ignat'eva.
I actually got this book from my public library and verified it was exactly as described, that the editor (Toomre) quoted the 1912 recipe as using potato straws (thin, crispy French fries, in my own words).

Not something I dreamed up. Something I read about, and tried, and totally works!
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
A sweet beef mince curry
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
While I like Indian food in general (particularly tandoori and tikka) I'm not overly fond of vegetarian food. I'm sorry to say, but some kind of animal has to die for my dinner: beef, lamb, pork, fowl or fish (shrimp included). Maybe I should be ashamed of myself but I'm not. I can get through breakfast and lunch without killing animals but for dinner I want meat!

I'll probably die some day, killed by a vegan who does not believe in killing animals.
I am the same Greg, I love meat and must have it in some description for my dinner
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,191
Take out for only one more night here. Yeahhh!!!

My beautiful new granite counters were installed today and they just left........
Here's the pictures from after and before. I'm thrilled to never have to deal with that horrible white tile and grout again!! The breakfast bar is drop dead gorgeous! My new deep one hole sink will hold my largest pots and pans without that dang useless divided sink I had before and the new faucet is wonderful !! Doing a happy dance!! Check it out!

kitchen countertops pictures by Kayelle - Photobucket
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
supper

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×