Wednesday 12/14/2016 What's on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't been feeling well today, so I made an easy dish I haven't made in quite a while: Uncle Ben's Chicken & Vegetable Rice with sautéed vegetables and diced leftover roasted chicken. I couldn't help adding a couple extra seasonings, though ;)

I guess this is what the young 'uns are calling a rice bowl these days :LOL: With a crispy chicken skin cracker on top :yum:

Attachments

• 1481770242973.jpg
    1481770242973.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 90
I've been "collecting" and freezing smaller eye of round roasts, 2 lbs. or less. I defrosted one and it's ready for the 500F for 5 minutes a pound, turn off oven method. I patted down the roast, lightly smeared on some oil, and made a simple rub. 1 generous teaspoon of Kosher salt and coarse ground pepper, 1/2 teaspoon basil, and 2 tablespoons minced garlic. I'll use a wired oven thermometer and take it out at 130F and let it sit covered while the temp rises to 135F (Medium rare). I'm lucky to still have a handed down 30 year old square baking rack (can't find that size anymore!) that fits inside my vintage Corningware casserole dish. :)

BTW, question. Before roasting, do you set out your roast to get near room temp? It's been sitting out for almost 2 hours and still feels cold. I keep my fridge really cold.

P1010016.jpg

Last edited:
Why are you collecting small roasts, Cas?

Some people collect stamps, some collect coins, Caslon collects small roasts.

Your small roast looks like it will be very tasty, Caslon!

We ended up with leftover Thai.

Last edited:
I grab smaller roasts and freeze them because they're not on the shelves that much. I can't go thru a big roast, unless I plan on having roast beef for the next 7 days. I like to finish up my roasts 4 days after cooking, max.

About my BTW question...

Last edited:
I grab smaller roasts and freeze them because they're not on the shelves that much. I can't go thru a big roast, unless I plan on having roast beef for the next 7 days. I like to finish up my roasts 4 days after cooking, max.

About my BTW question...

I answered it. See above.

I guess we didn't get our fill of turkey so I pulled out a couple of turkey thighs from the freezer along with a pack of frozen dressing. Mounds of dressing topped with thighs in a cooking bag turned into a great meal with a couple of spinach salads.

I need to get some more cooking bags. Over the years, I forgot what a real difference they make for oven meals!!

Hi NYBrit. I know I'll never live long enough. ;)

LOL! I understand that. I used to think the same. So never say never! ?

I finally got around to trying cauliflower pizza crust. It was easier to make than I thought it would be. A bit of a hassle as far as dirty dishes is concerned but, whatever. It ain't pizza, but it was good none the less...

I have been sick all day so I made the grandest thing I could.. take some fruit loops and put them in a bowl, cover with milk. Eat.

Wore out now.
Know that feeling. I have had "The Cold" since Sunday. I have to drag myself in the kitchen to cook something for the Elders when all I want is canned chicken noodle soup doctored up with lots of lemon juice, an tempered egg, jalapeno peppers, chopped green onion, and Frank's Hot Sauce. Feel better.

I guess we didn't get our fill of turkey so I pulled out a couple of turkey thighs from the freezer along with a pack of frozen dressing. Mounds of dressing topped with thighs in a cooking bag turned into a great meal with a couple of spinach salads.

I need to get some more cooking bags. Over the years, I forgot what a real difference they make for oven meals!!

Hi NYBrit. I know I'll never live long enough. ;)

Ha! We are still working on the smoked bird. Other than the repeat meal with the roasted bird, we haven't touched those packages yet!:ohmy::ROFLMAO:

What doesn't? Leaving a roast out before cooking to get to room temp?

Another BTW with this roast, I didn't feel like cooking it tonight, so it'll sit and absorb the rub. Something I never do, but now will.

Wasn't that your question? Yes - leaving a roast out before cooking to get to room temp doesn't work.

Wow - I hope I don't catch what everyone has reading this post! Hope everyone is feeling better this morning. Today (3rd Thursday) is our church Food pantry day. So for service last night we first had pizza (not good for my low card, but that is ok) brought in and then unloaded the trailer of food that was on pallets (4), packed them into bags (93), then cleaned everything up. A group will hand them out today.

Wasn't that your question?

It was more about what temp the roast should be, before you start to roast. Cold? Room temp? Somewhere in between?

Doesn't matter, I think I'll let this roast come up to full room temp before roasting. Never done that before. It's been marinating a day already with the rub.

Bacteria growth be damned!

Last edited:
It was more about what temp the roast should be, before you start to roast. Cold? Room temp? Somewhere in between?

Doesn't matter, I think I'll let this roast come up to full room temp before roasting. Never done that before. It's been marinating a day already with the rub.

Bacteria growth be damned!

That wasn't what you said, but hey - go with it.

Read this. It applies even more to roasts, since they're thicker than steaks. http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

Back
Top Bottom