Who's ready for pumpkin pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally, and probably the last straw as well, a brown pie will never be as appetizing or as uplifting to the spirits as an orange pie. If you still insist on growing pumpkins for food, ask yourself why does the canned pumpkin in the supermarket contain no pumpkin. It's squash.

So, how come, when I make a pie with canned pumpkin that's really squash according to some, it's BROWN and not ORANGE?!?!?!?

I have only ever made pumkin pie with canned "pumpkin". And yes, it is kind of brown....I would be interested in making a brighter colour pie....so do I look for a traditional pumpkin? And how do I prepare it for the pie?

I am SO confused about this all now! LOL

Someone just tell me how to prepare the wretched thing for pie! I have taken the decision to use whatever I can get my hands on!

lulu said:
I am SO confused about this all now! LOL

Someone just tell me how to prepare the wretched thing for pie! I have taken the decision to use whatever I can get my hands on!

Hi and good morning, LuLu

When I have the time to work with fresh pumpkin I look for what is called a milk pumpkin or cheese pumpkin. When you look at it, it will remind you of a wheel of cheese. It's short, and squat and kind of a dusty salmon colour. It's extremely heavy for it's size. It doesn't have the big hollow center that a jack o lantern pumpkin has.

With a very sturdy knife cut it into manageable chunks. I usually work with pieces that look like canteloup quarters. At this point, people will begin to differ. I brush just the tiniest amount of butter on the exposed flesh and then bake the wedges for about 45 minutes at 350. You want it to get soft. When they are cool enough to handle, simply scoop out the flesh and then run it through a processor to get consistency. You'll get enough for several pies. I usually freeze what I don't need in 1 or 2 cup portions in ziploc bags. Once you've processed it, proceed as you normally would in your favourite pie recipe.

Then use the leftovers all season for soups, breads, muffins, sauces. It will be like having a pumpkin patch in your own yard!

Thank you VeraBlue......I'm looking forward to it. I could get through hundreds of pumpkins.

just stopping by to put my 2 cents worth in.

first, here in japan, pumpkin (big orange ones) are generally not available, and too expensive if they are ($30 pumpkin pie anyone?). Libby's canned pumpkin is sometimes available if you're willing to travel an hour or so to get it. so, for years i've been using japanese kabocha squash. a few years ago, i decided to make a "real" pumpkin pie and managed to get my hands on a real pumkin and also the canned libby's stuff. i thought i was in for a real treat, but alas, i was really let down. i found the pumpkin to be less tasty and also somewhat watery in texture compared to kabocha. if you have them available locally and you're willing to make it from scratch, give kabocha a try.

my recipe? to start off, you can save both time and money on your energy bill by steaming the chunks or slices in about 5 or 10 minutes. about 2/3 or 3/4 of a kabocha will make a very full pie. after steaming, mash (or puree if you're finicky and don't mind washing). i don't like my pies too sweet so i then add a not-too-large handful of white sugar and a not-too-large handfull of brown sugar, followed immediately by a good pinch of salt (so i don't forget it), a small palmful of cinnamon, some ginger and occasionally some or all of the following: nutmeg, mace, allspice. next, whisk in a couple of eggs and finish by whisking in some milk. my filling is rather thicker than the libby's recipe. it's thick enough that i give it a tap or two to make the last bit poured in settle. if i feel like going "all the way", i might pour the filling through a strainer into the pie, but generally couldn't be bothered. bake as usual i suppose (here, it's 180 C for around an hour).
icon12.gif

Well I know I can get kabocha here....I had one this week....interesting. I can see the denser flesh reasoning you use.

lulu said:
Well I know I can get kabocha here....I had one this week....interesting. I can see the denser flesh reasoning you use.

don't worry too much about what you use. i've used just about every kind of squash i've ever come across, and even carrots. texture and flavor will vary somewhat, but they are all made the same: reduce to a pulp, sweeten to taste, ditto with the cinnamon, ginger, etc. add an egg or two, and then thin to a pourable state with some cream or milk. bake in a moderately hot oven for around an hour. you can also just bake it as a custard in ramekins. minus the sugar, plus a pinch of pepper, it's a nice side dish. you can then add other stuff, rather like a quiche.

good luck!
icon12.gif

All pumpkins are squashes.
but not all squashes are pumpkins!

'sfunny... I don't like pumpkin pie, but I like savory dishes with pumpkin, just plain ole baked pumpkin, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cheesecake. I guess it's a texture thing for me, like tofu.

Now SWEET POTATO PiIE??????? You'd be talking my language! :D

I love pumpkin pie, muffins, bread, soup, risotto, cheesecake, ice cream. I love almost all squash. But gotta agree with ChefJune - sweet potato pie is absolutely da bomb! :)

Harborwitch said:
sweet potato pie is absolutely da bomb! :)

I know I'm gonna catch heck for this....

I've had sweet potato pie. I liked it.
I just really couldn't tell a big difference between that and pumpkin pie.... :ermm:

Now pumpkin beer.....

John

ChefJune said:
Now SWEET POTATO PiIE??????? You'd be talking my language! :D

When my mom was visiting everyone seemed to be talking about sweet potato pie, so she made one! Real crust and everything. It was really good. And Ron, it is very similiar to pumpkin, but not as sweet. Plus it didn't have all the spices that pumpkin pie called for, but I guess you could put them in there.

ronjohn55 said:
I know I'm gonna catch heck for this....

I've had sweet potato pie. I liked it.
I just really couldn't tell a big difference between that and pumpkin pie.... :ermm:

Now pumpkin beer.....

John
You're not gonna catch anything for it! You just have impaired taste buds!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I've got a friend that used to make the most amazing sweet potato pies. I think they're silkier than pumpkin. May just have to make one - is your recipe in Feastivals??? I'm goin' to go look.:LOL:

ChefJune said:
You're not gonna catch anything for it! You just have impaired taste buds!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Uh-oh!! Better not let them drive until they sober up!! :-p
Must be all that beer they keep tasting!

Last couple of times we've made pumpkin pie, it was with real pumpkin - tasted pretty much like the stuff from the can. (At least, I'm assuming that it really was pumpkin in the home canned jars that said "pumpkin" on them from the in-laws... :huh: )

The last few times people in the brew club have made pumpkin beer (And this should top any squash vs pumpkin in the can debate) - THEY DIDN'T USE ANY PUMPKIN AT ALL!!!!! (Or squash)
They cheated and just used pumpkin pie spice! :mad:

John

I love pumpkin ale. There's a brewery in Hayward (ca) that makes a beautiful pumpkin ale - now that I have weekends off Bob and I can go get a bunch for the fall season. A brewery that used to be local made a Christmas ale that was like drinking gingersnaps:angel: Died and gone to heaven:rolleyes:.

Back
Top Bottom