Egg white allergy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovex4

Assistant Cook
We recently found out that my son has a slight allergy to egg whites... His doctor said his numbers came back a little high and he should be ok and his reaction may only be a little rash, but I of course have decided to not want to give him any eggs at all... I just don't want to take any chances and he doesn't eat /like eggs anyways. However I did use eggs in meatballs, pancakes, cakes, cupcakes etc. are there any substitutes I can use in these recipes in place of eggs?? Thanks in advance for any help!!

At whole foods that sell a powdered egg replacer for baked goods called energe I think. It's in a yellow box. I used to use that alot For baked goods. things like meatballs I would just skip the egg as it didn't have that much purpose anyway

Welcome to DC! I can't help you out--I raise hens and eat a lot of eggs (glad I don't have an egg allergy). When I was a child and lived in a farming community, the farm kids had "town families" for snow days. The gal who was our "snow day kid" was allergic to eggs. I know my mom used to bake bread on snow days using a recipe without eggs and would make steak for supper. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm sure there are substitute products today that weren't available then.

As I understand it, it is a very common allergy, but one that has to be hard to work around because eggs are in so many things.

For a mayo substitute, you could try tofu mayo (Tofu Mayonnaise - Recipe For Tofu Mayonnaise) or cashew mayo (provided he is not also allergic to nuts): Raw Vegan Recipes: Homemade Vegan Cashew Mayonnaise Recipe

I'm sure others will have other suggestions. Again, welcome to DC.

Thank you so much for responding, even if you couldn't give too much advice.. It was nice of you to welcome me here... Even though your a big fan of eggs, I actually made meatballs last night (we're a typical italian household, pasta, sauce meatballs etc. on sundays) sans eggs... I think they tasted better than when I do use them... Just a little fyi for ya lol... Thank you again for the warm welcome!!!

Welcome to D.C.!
My niece is severely allergic to eggs. The best advice I can give you is vigilance. Eggs are ubiquitous. My sister also discovered that often, leaving eggs out of some recipes doesn't have all that much effect. Next time I see her, I will ask her for some guidance and advice that, frankly, I am unequipped to give.

Thank you so much for responding, even if you couldn't give too much advice.. It was nice of you to welcome me here... Even though your a big fan of eggs, I actually made meatballs last night (we're a typical italian household, pasta, sauce meatballs etc. on sundays) sans eggs... I think they tasted better than when I do use them... Just a little fyi for ya lol... Thank you again for the warm welcome!!!
How old is your child? I did read that some children outgrow it.

Are there any other foods that are a problem? I cannot eat pine nuts--well, I could, but the outcome would not be good--I wear a bracelet and have an epi-pen. This is your culinary challenge--figuring out how to cook without eggs!

Definitely going to be a challenge... Doc also said peanuts came bavk high... He said my son doesn't need an epi pen, but he doesnt like peanut butter and we have never really give him peanuts, I did get him bracelets just to be on the safe side like I said I dont want to chance it. I heard they usually outgrow it too.. I really appreciate your asking your sister... You and all others are so nice on here.. Thank you again!!!

I used mashed banana and baking powder as an egg substitute in cookies (the proportions could be found online), but of course the strong banana flavor isn't suitable for most recipes. I hear applesauce works just as well, and would't add as much flavor.

Skittle68 said:
I used mashed banana and baking powder as an egg substitute in cookies (the proportions could be found online), but of course the strong banana flavor isn't suitable for most recipes. I hear applesauce works just as well, and would't add as much flavor.

Thank you so much for the input... I'm loving this site, everyone is very helpful

Back
Top Bottom