ISO food that does not require chewing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sooooo many good answers have been given. I would think that the temperature of foods may be important as well. Very cold things like ice cream may cause pain, while a cool gelatine desert would be soothing. In the same vein, I would avoid very hot foods, opting for comfortably warm.

For nutritional value, there are whole grain cereals such as oatmeal and farina (cream of wheat). Bright veggies that can be cooked and mashed are easy to eat. Examples are sweet potatoes, beets, rutabegga, etc.

Of course soups are a natural and are highly nutritions if made properly.

For meats, go with foods like canned tuna or salmon, mixed with mayo, mustard, and onion powder, and maybe a touch of dill. Pate's are good, if she likes them, as are sandwich spreads such as deviled ham, potted meat, and ground up bologna, when flavorings are added of course.

And as was said in a previous post, fruit smoothies are great. I add carrot and firm, silken-tofu to mine, to add nutritional value. I omit the ice. Some fruits you can mix and match that go very well in smoothies are cantaloupe, peaches, appricots, apple, pear, pineapple, cherries, most berries, papaya, guava, banana, anything that will blend smooth. You can even add such things as psillium husks to a smoothie to increase the fiber content.

And it's hard to beat a good shake or malt, or even a glass of milk with a touch of butterscotch, or chocolate flavoring. And then, there's always eggnog, served warm or cool, with a bit of nutmeg on top.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya;; Goodweed of the North

How about a protein shake - Blend in blender until smooth
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese or more to make it thick
1/2 to 1 banana
1/2 cup favorite fruit, frozen or fresh (blueberries, strawberries) or 2 tbsp of chocolate powder
water or milk as needed

Without the ice it isn't too hot or cold

Last edited:
supplemental drinks are great, applesauce, mashed potatoes & gravy, farina, puddings, soups, pureed squash, shakes, etc.
i drink supplements when i'm not hungry.
several foods can be pureed w/out being ucky, like fruits.

Last edited:
Goodweed of the North said:
Sooooo many good answers have been given. I would think that the temperature of foods may be important as well.
The root is what conveys the feeling of hot or cold from the tooth to the brain. No root, no feelings.

Caine said:
The root is what conveys the feeling of hot or cold from the tooth to the brain. No root, no feelings.

I agree with Caine. The big problem following any dental drilling is that you have collateral areas that are numbed and may be damaged by trying to eat solid foods because you can't feel it - such as biting a hunk out of your tongue.

A root canal is generally a "drill-n-fill" operation - just like getting a cavity filled except that they roto-rooter out the roots. The dentist should provide eating do's and don'ts. I've had 4 and all I was ever told was to not eat anything solid for 24 hours, and nothing as solid as a grilled steak for 48 (and that had to do with the fillings).

Trust me ... I loved the "ice cream" diet for 24 hours .... all the Chocolate Malts I could get away with (it's no fun trying to pull this off when you have a wife on a diet).

Blender Gourmet Cuisine? Ah, just go down the "baby food" isle ... I found it very conforting food when I had my tonsils ripped out.

The thing with baby food is that it is bland - just add a little S&P, and maybe some butter ...

I just had two of my lower wisdom tooth extracted. Talk about pain and discomfort. I am not sure if a root canal hurts as much but I was in pain for almost a week and nothing felt right in my mouth. It was sore for days.

I second milk shakes and bananas. Both of them don't require much chewing and fill you up. Soup and the middle portion of soft white bread dipped in it worked well for me.

:) You hafto be more careful when you have a tooth extracted as opposed to a root canal,root canals are filled right afterwards, an extracted tooth leaves an open wound which forms a clot to heal so in those first few days you dont want to suck through a straw or suck cigarettes and so on.If you lose that clot you could be in excrutiating pain as you the expose the live nerves that are still there.Root canels remove those nerves so no pain, however your gums could be quite tender afterwards.

A pureed meal? Like they serve in the baby food isle? That sounds naaaasty. I'd stick to soft foods like yogurt, apple sauce, pudding, corn grits, mashed sweet potatoes, etc. And soup, for every American meal there is, there's also a meal in a can for it. Seriously, name a meal. I'll find the soup for it. Pot Pie? Marie Calander's pot pie soup. Steak and Potatoes? Steak and potatoe soup.

And peanut-butter! :chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
Something without seeds. I got a tomato seed in a pocket after root canal and thought it would kill me.

Back
Top Bottom