Baking soda/sodium bicarbonate for the pool- can I bake with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My Cuppa Tea

Assistant Cook
I'm in the middle of baking cornbread with no way to get to the store. I just realized I'm out of baking soda.

We have a big bag of sodium bicarbonate we bought at the pool supply store for the swimming pool. It says arm & hammer on it and that it's certified for use in drinking water. I know baking soda *is* sodium bicarbonate. Is this safe to use to bake with? Can I use it in my cornbread?

If so, I'll just scoop out a mason jar full and use it in the kitchen instead of buying the little orange box.

What say ye?

If it's safe for drinking, it's safe for cornbread. Just be sure it's 100% bicarb. I used to use Arm and Hammer baking soda in the pool and it worked great.

We used to buy huge amounts of Arm & Hammer for the pool. I wish I could remember what show it was, when, but I once saw a TV show where they used various soda products to make Irish soda bread, just to see if anyone knew the difference. Everything from pool products to kitty litter sanitizer. If I remember correctly, the kitty litter sanitizer was the favorite bread. The fact is if it is soda and only soda, I guess there isn't that much of a difference. At any rate, where we lived many people had pools and we simply bought the very same soda you cook with, only in larger boxes. I cooked out of the same box.

My husband bakes a box of soda all by itself and dissolves it in a gallon of water for using to adjust the ph in our reef aquarium. The stuff is so versatile!

Back
Top Bottom