spotted potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckystarzz

Assistant Cook
I marinated some golden potatoes in olive oil, salt, garlic and pepper last night. This morning I noticed that some potatoes have black spots and there was quite a bit of water in the bag I marinated them in. The spots don't seem to be a result of the pepper sitting on them. Have they gone bad?

The black color is an oxidation issue in raw peeled potatoes. Raw potatoes are not meant to be marinated and should be cooked as soon as possible after peeling. Sorry to say that I'd pitch them in the trash and chalk it up to living and learning.
Welcome to DC

I don't normally marinate potatoes, but just couldn't stay awake. Potatoes tossed, lesson learned. I would like to ask how caterers handle making large batches of potatoes. Thank you!

Potatoes were always at least boiled and then chilled if they needed to be. Once peeled or cut they need to be cooked to avoid oxidation.

If I'm going to "prep" potatoes and not cook immediately, I peel and then put in water. This is what we did when my parents owned a restaurant.

If I'm making hash browns or diced potatoes for brunch, I'll rinse them a couple times and toss with fruit fresh or lemon juice over night. The best option, though, is to par boil and chill if you need to over night them.

Back
Top Bottom