"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2020, 08:46 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Can I do anything with too-dried out garlic?

Hello all-- I grow garlic, and last year harvested about 30 bulbs. In past years I've just stored all of the bulbs (unwashed) in my basement until I was ready to use them, even if it wasn't for a year or 14 months or so. I put them in a large drawer so that they were at least spaced out from one another and then just left them. Humidity was really, really high down there-- about 85%, so I'm guessing that's what allowed me to do that. This past year, I started storing heirlooms and other valuable stuff down there (skis, old books, etc), so hooked up a dehumidier to make it less swamp-like. Humidity went down to about 45% with it running. I used to live in the desert where it got REALLY dry, so I didn't figure 45% humidity would dry out the garlic, but it sure did. When I went down to get some today, the bulb I picked out was basically shriveled up and powdery. So I'm definitely kicking myself, and wondering if there's ANYTHING I can do with them at this point. I guess I can just carefully add whatever powder there is to pizza, sauce etc. It certainly doesn't help that I didn't wash the cloves before storing. ..... Since I grew it and don't want to waste it, I'll do anything with it to avoid just composting it. Not optimistic though....

Schmidtke5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:34 PM   #2
Certified/Certifiable

Peel it, chop it, and put it in the freezer. It will re-hydrate and flavor sauces, soups, and gravies just fine. You can even pulverize it in a mortar and pestle, spice grinder, or blender to make your own garlic powder.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:06 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I store fresh garlic in a glass jar filled with sherry in the fridge. It lasts forever.

Tags
garlic