Hard salami, Genoa or Pepperoni?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snickerdoodle

Senior Cook
Our grocer's deli is running a special right now where if you buy a pound of their higher priced deli meats, you get a FREE pound of hard salami, genoa or pepperoni (your choice). These are not deli meats I typically buy and I don't even know what genoa is LOL. Which one would you pick and what would you do with it? Thanks in advance for all the wonderful ideas ya'll have!

Hard salami and Genoa are similar. Either can be added to a sandwich for a little extra flavor. Genoa salami is an all-time favorite of my so there would be no problem choosing. You can also use either in an omelet or as part of an antipasto (rolled as tightly as you can).

Pepperoni to me is primarily an appetizer food and pizza topping. You can also add it to a coldcut sandwich or an omelet.

Any of the three could be chopped and added to a salad.

All in all, it's hard to go wrong here.

Our grocer's deli is running a special right now where if you buy a pound of their higher priced deli meats, you get a FREE pound of hard salami, genoa or pepperoni (your choice). These are not deli meats I typically buy and I don't even know what genoa is LOL. Which one would you pick and what would you do with it? Thanks in advance for all the wonderful ideas ya'll have!

Oh man! I'm drooling just thinking about it. What a tough choice. All of them are great and I use them as additions to any sandwich, except PBJ's.:) I also use them as nibbles and snacks. The sandwich pepperoni is cheaper than the pizza pepperoni and often more flavorful, you can cut in quarters and make pizza or calzones.

Sorry, had to go get a mouth wiper...:LOL:

I would go with the Hard Salami, it is really tasty and keeps a long time, not to mention it looks beautiful on an antipasta platter or in a salad of marinated artichokes, mushrooms, onions, and mozzarella.

Classic sandwich for me - Whole Wheat soft hoagie bun, extra virgin olive oil, black olives, iceberg lettuce, generous helping of Capiacola, generous helping of pepperoni, medium helping of Genoa Salami, sliced onion, sliced green pepper, couple slices aged swiss cheese.

Pepperoni has a more pronounced flavor to me than does either salami, and I'm a guy who loves strong flavors (can you tell from the breath-killer sandwich above?:LOL:). Salami will be a little more versatile than the pepperoni. But pepperoni is another form of salami and works well in salads, pasta, tomato sauce, sandwiches, on pizza, with scrambled eggs, chopped and added to egg salad sandwich filling, in calzones, and even put together with rice and beans. I also love taking a pinch of slices and popping them into my mouth for a snack, followed by a good slice of cheese. The flavor profile of pepperoni has a slightly also works with the vinager and sugar of three-bean salad. In fact, I love the stuff so much I might even throw it in apple pie! Ha! Gotcha. I'm crazy, but not that crazy. I would throw it in a meat pie though, along with some Italian sausage, onions, and diced potatoes, or in lasagna.

To me, salami is relegated to sandwiches and hors-dueveres, unless it's a good soprasetta.

I'd go with the pepperoni. But of course, that's MHO.:D

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I love Genoa. I just eat it as is in an antipasto with bread, cheese, raw veggies and assorted pickles or marinate veggies. I love the texture and flavor too much to mix it with other ingredients.

I would also pick the Genoa Salami and use it on an antipasto plate with a good sharp Provolone Cheese, some black olives, and some roasted red peppers. For the expensive cold cuts you could choose Prosciutto de Parma and add that to your antipasto plate as well. I'm drooling just thinking about this. :LOL:

Hard Salami usually has a smokey flavor, while Genoa has a slightly spicy flavor. I like both, but Genoa is my favorite.

So how do you say it, GEN-noah or Gen-o-ah (like the city in Italy). I pronounce it like the city in Italy, but many of my customers pronounce it with a NOAH at the end.

Salame Genovese is the real Mccoy. Most of the stuff available here is Genoa STYLE salami. From where I was at in Italy (Viareggio), Genoa was closer than Milan but salame Milanese was more popular

Last edited:
Well I ended up with the hard salami and only because (don't laugh) the slices were kind of flower shaped... and I though my girls would be more inclined to try it that way! I had forgotten how much I love salami until I ate a slice last night. I agree with Rocklobster that enjoying it as-is would be the way to go! I see an antipasto platter in my future...

Get the Genoa!! Hard salami taste nasty to me. Pepperoni is religated to cheese plates or pizza.

Get the Genoa!! Hard salami taste nasty to me. Pepperoni is religated to cheese plates or pizza.

I feel just the opposite! I love Hard Salami, I don't like Genoa. :sick:
If I was planning to make Cold Cut Subs, I would get the Hard Salami.
If I was planning on making Pizza, Pepperoni Rolls or Cavitini I would get pepperoni. Both go well on a snack tray with cheese.

Can you get 1 pound of Hard Salami and 1 pound of Pepperoni? That is what I would do.

Well I ended up with the hard salami and only because (don't laugh) the slices were kind of flower shaped... and I though my girls would be more inclined to try it that way! I had forgotten how much I love salami until I ate a slice last night. I agree with Rocklobster that enjoying it as-is would be the way to go! I see an antipasto platter in my future...

Good thinking, getting the kids to try it is important! Any of the 3 would have been good.

Good thinking, getting the kids to try it is important! Any of the 3 would have been good.

When I was a kid the adults didn't have to do anything to get us to try any kind of salami. I just didn't like big bits of black pepper. So I took them out.

And this discussion is having a bad influence on me. Guess what was in my shopping cart at Costco today? And that I'm eating right now on RyVita. ;)

You know, I haven't had any bacon or ham for over three weeks...now all this talk about salami and pepperoni...argggh!!! Time to get the food processor out.

My doctor is going to love it, though!

Back
Top Bottom