How would you prepare? (Chicken)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
How would you prepare an elegant meal with the high light being chicken.

I have tons of chicken in the freezer - mostly pieces (breasts, thighs), skinless, boneless. Except the legs and wings of course, they still have bones and skin.

I want to invite my neighbours, the husband is about to leave for several weeks on a job. They are so very good to me and he has been super whenever I've been in trouble such as sump pump failure, hot water tank replacement, rerouting water pipes... so I would like to have something different with a bit of pizzazz!

Any suggestions? What are your ideas of a simple but elegant or indulgent chicken meal? Doesn't have to be extreme - don't kill or embarrass me! :LOL:

Easy. Coq au vin. Simple peasant food way back when, that is now food that is very elegant

Also easy to make, but it needs to cook for a few hours, so it is easy, but not fast. That is also a good thing, because if your guests arrive late, or you get talking too much over cocktails, it can survive some overtime on the stove or in the oven.

CD

Attachments

• coq-au-vin001.jpg
    coq-au-vin001.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
I always like to stick with TNT recipes so I would go with oven fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, biscuits, peas or corn and cabbage salad.

Last edited:
for frozen chicken parts I like

1. Catiatore,

brown the chix parts in evvo, remove and set aside.

add vegitables of your choice.
the usuals are onion, bell peppers, garlic and mushrooms. but I like squash also.

Then Tomato sauce, just a small can of sauce or if more add a can of tomato paste.

water to cover , add the chix pieces back in and cook 30 minutes till done.

spices, simply Italian spices from a jar.

serve with spaghetti noodles and salad.

make it "saucy" as I have had drunk friends seen "licking the bowl" on this one.

2. Stewed Chicken

For more of a German/ Czhech Style..

just leave out the tomato sauce.

serve it over wide egg noodles,

spice would be simply Thyme and perhaps Juniper Berrys.

Kruaet goes well with this.

LOL Casey - too funny - that's what I made them last time they were over!

Good idea on the TNT Aunt Bea, I will have to sit down with my chicken recipe collection and pick my best. (according to my son, oven fried is just not one of them :rolleyes:)

LOL Casey - too funny - that's what I made them last time they were over!

Good idea on the TNT Aunt Bea, I will have to sit down with my chicken recipe collection and pick my best. (according to my son, oven fried is just not one of them :rolleyes:)

It really doesn't matter which recipe you choose it will be new and different to your guests, just relax, have fun and enjoy your company.

Go exotic.

Halal chicken and rice.

Chicken Tikka Masala or Rogan Josh.

Teryaki chicken, or stir fried Lemon Chicken.

How would you prepare an elegant meal with the high light being chicken...
I've done a very pared-down version of this:
Chicken Stuffed with Prosciutto and Fontina
Rather than stuff it, I've layered it and baked it off. First, saute the chicken in a bit of butter/oil to brown and cook about half-way or so. Starting with the chicken, then layer a few sauteed mushrooms (I use baby bello/cremini), followed by prosciutto, then topped with fontina. Bake until the chicken is done and the cheese is melted. Serve with seasoned rice blend and asparagus - or any sides you would prefer.

IF you so happen to have preserved lemons or quick access to them, this is a nice dish that allows you to start it earlier, then do the oven baking closer to when your neighbors are expected. A little exotic without having a strong enough flavor profile that might make it off-putting to someone who doesn't like strong flavors.
Moroccan Chicken with Preserved Meyers Lemons and Green Olives

This last one is a winner - it's one of the first I tried when I started to branch out into unfamiliar ethnic cooking and a favorite of Himself...and me. As written, the seasonings are very mild. I double everything. Same goes for serving size. We polish off the recipe's "serves 4" between the two of us easily. I prefer serving it with Israeli couscous - it's the bigger of the two grains and is the one that gets cooked for a short amount of time. If it's hard to fine, just use orzo.
North African Style Chicken

Hope you find a recipe you like. Just make sure you relax and have fun visiting with your neighbors.

OMG - guuys!

thank you all so much! this might turn out to be the most difficult decision ever! it's 7:30 am and I'm drooling and stomach growlings.

I want to say Stop! Stop! can't take it anymore... but I'd be lying. :LOL:

How about chicken Kiev? Not the kind they sell in stores, ground meat, but real chicken Kiev? I have the recipe here.

At the top of my list have been

Chicken Cordon Bleu,

Chicken Kiev and that

Moroccan Chicken with Presrved Lemons (gotta jar in the fridge- made last year, hope it is still good!). Also

"poor man's veal cutlet" with chicken, of course! LOL! that can be prepared well in advance and cooking at the last minute only takes seconds.

Back
Top Bottom