Smothered Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
This is a very flexible dish. You can use breast or thigh meat - just so long as it's boneless.

1) cook chicken by your preferred method - roast, pan fry, poach, grill.
2) saute your choice of vegetable toppings - any or all of them: onion, mushroom, bell pepper
3) shred your choice of cheese

When your chicken is just about done, place in a broiler safe dish, top with veggies, and top with as much cheese as you want. Broil until cheese is melted and slightly browned.

Alternately, you can place your chicken in the pan, top with the veggies and then cheese, cover pan, and heat until cheese melts.

When I make this, I usually cook my chicken on the stove top, top with veggies and cheese, and cover the pan. If you want to keep it down to one pan, you could always cook the veggies first, remove to a dish and cook chicken, then finish off.

I like serving this cuddled up to creamy mashed potatoes. They just go good together.

That sounds really good CG, but I've always thought of a smothered dish as the protein cooked along with the veges and whatever else. Crawfish etouffee is a kind of smothered dish, but the 1 we make the most is chicken dusted with flour, paprika, s and p, then browned in some oil, removed, then add a whole bunch of sliced onions, a little more oil and about 4 Tbsp butter, s and p, then cooked until the onions are golden brown, with a little garlic thrown in along the way. Once the onions are ready, use some of the dredge/dust mix to make a blond roux, add in chicken stock. Some white wine if desired until you have a thin gravy, add the chicken back, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes depending on size of chicken, turning chicken and gently stiring 2 or 3 times, removing cover about 5 minutes before end of cookjng time so gravy thickens. Oh, I use skinless chicken because the skin tends to get gummy and flabby when cooked this way. Serve over mashies with a green vege on the side. We've done pork chops this way too.

I'll use either bone in or boneless, but it is definitely easier to eat when boneless.

Last edited:
Cute, SLoB, cute. :LOL: Actually, the melting cheese stuffs up its little nostrils...

That sounds really good CG, but I've always thought of a smothered dish as the protein cooked along with the veges and whatever else....
Thanks, med. I call it "Smothered Chicken" since that's what our back-home favorite restaurant called this dish. When they closed up the restaurant, I started making it at home because we liked it so much. Then Chili's had something similar on their menu, but we tend to avoid Chili's. And I use boneless because it does make it easier to eat. I'm all about efficiency when it comes to moving food from my plate to my mouth. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom