Baked chicken with wine and cream of mushroom soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We make a dish with cream of mushroom soup, which is actually pretty good. The recipe is from an old hardback Southern Living cookbook. Recipe posted per request.

We serve over buttered noodles with a green vegetable on the side.

INGREDIENTS
4 B/S chicken thighs, you can use bone in, but then you have to cut around the bone to eat, or equivilent breast meat.
4 slices Swiss cheese to cover chicken pieces
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup white wine or broth, I use just over half of 1 of the 4-pack wine bottles, chardonnay or pinot grigio
1 cup crushed dry stuffing mix, we use Pepperidge Farm
3 Tbsp butter, melted

DIRECTIONS
Place chicken pieces in a greased 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish, season with S and P, place a slice of swiss cheese on each. Mix cream of mushroom soup with the wine or broth and pour soup mixture on top, sprinkle crushed dry stuffing mix on top, drizzle with melted butter. Bake at 375 F for 35 to 45 minutes, depending on boneless or bone in.

Recipe can be doubled, just use a bigger baking dish.

Last edited:
I hsve had a can of cream of chicken soup in my pantry for literally years, and I have two extremely large bone in/skin on chicken thighs in the freezer, left over from when I made huli-huli chicken. I am going to use both the soup and the thighs to make this dish. I do believe I also have a boxed stuffing mix, or part of one, in the back of the same pantry. Thanks for the idea. I hope you don't mind if I steal it. I am going to ccall it Cream of Chicken Thighs.

Last edited:
I'd make sure the stuffing is not stale, and the can of soup is not too much out of date. I think I used cream of chicken once, no idea why we bought it, when I found it in pantry.

I keep opened bags of stuffing in the freezer since we don't use it that often. They do go stale and your nose should tell you.

I've been known to throw in fresh mushrooms we have no other use for on occasion as well.

Come to think of it, some sauteed onions would be a nice addition.

Canned goods are forever. That's why they put them in fallout shelters.

No onions. They give me agita. I guess I could garnish with sliced scallions. They don't give me agita.

Canned goods are forever. That's why they put them in fallout shelters.
No, they aren't forever. They do last a long time, but will eventually go bad. I cleaned out Stepmom's pantry when she was in long term care after an accident and I was staying with my dad, and there were cans that were 12+ years out from best by. I opened one just for heck of it and there is no way in he// I would eat what was in that can.

Trying your recipe tonight, medtran. So far smells great!

Had 5 thighs, split one length wise and tucked them between 2 others into 2 dishes.
20240405_180346.jpg

Didn't have Swiss but some Gruyere I had shredded for another recipe that never made it to the oven.
20240405_181356.jpg

mixed the mushroom and wine separately as I'm lousy at portioning out.
Breadcrumbs, melted butter... into the oven.

20240405_182204.jpg

Another 10 minutes in the oven... one for tonight and one for .... Sunday? or Monday? But for the next I'll be sure to do some pasta of some sort. Lost my oomph tonight. Do have some green beans ready though.

Discovered I had some fresh noodle 'nests' and threw one in the pot of hot water after I had taken out the green beans. WOWSER!!! that was good!

Huge Thanks to you medtran! what an easy meal to throw together with hardly any effort!

Will note that between the soup, stuffing and butter - hope no-one needs to watch their salt! Actually next time I just might use un-salted butter. It was not unpleasant, was fantastic, but you noticed the salt.

Think maybe I could actually freeze the 2nd one? I probably will have the other thigh for lunch tomorrow. Don't know if I'd want the next one even on Sun. or Mon. But don't want to keep it longer.
Any suggestions anyone???

20240405_192541.jpg

1712360174752.png

Attachments

• 20240405_192037.jpg
    20240405_192037.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 14
I use unsalted butter all the time so didn't think about that.

The stuffing might suffer if frozen, not be crisp, but it does that anyway if there are leftovers.

Glad you liked it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom