Hi! Potato as base for cream soups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carmichael

Assistant Cook
I saw a few weeks ago a recipe for a cream soup that called for potato as the base for the "cream". By I haven't been able to find the recipe again and all google searches lead to a Cream of Potato soup type of deal <g><sigh>!

Does anyone have a recipe for a base such as this, a cream base for soup using just potatoes and, say, butter and spices, etc.? Anything like this? Then one could easily just add mushrooms or broccoli to make each distinctive cream soup.

Thanks for any help in advance!!

:)(y)

Its even easier if you cook the veg first and thicken it with instant mash, add chicken base, season and hit it with an immersion blender...done.

The cook book that influenced me the most before I actually started my culinary career and the one I literally used to teach myself to cook was Gourmet's "Basic French Cookbook" techniques of French cuisine first print 1961. I literally cooked my way through that book, crazy when I think about it 50 years later. Anyway it was a book where Louis Diat a famous French chef who eventually found his way to the USA was the Executive Chef for the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in NYC. Anyway he's the guy that came up with Vichyssoise a cold preparation of Potage Parmentier (potato-leek soup), yep, an American dish. I still have that book. :)

il_1588xN.4561750081_ect1.jpg

Last edited:
The cook book that influenced me the most before I actually started my culinary career and the one I literally used to teach myself to cook was Gourmet's "Basic French Cookbook" techniques of French cuisine first print 1961. I literally cooked my way through that book, crazy when I think about it 50 years later. Anyway it was a book where Louis Diat a famous French chef who eventually found his way to the USA was the Executive Chef for the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in NYC. Anyway he's the guy that came up with Vichyssoise a cold preparation of Potage Parmentier (potato-leek soup), yep, an American dish. I still have that book. :)

il_1588xN.4561750081_ect1.jpg
I still have that book in my collection, too! Along with a number of others in the Gourmet line.

When a soup uses potato as a thickener, the soup is usually pureed after it's fully cooked (or you can use instant potato flakes). I suppose you can apply this technique to any combination of ingredients.

My cream of cauliflower soup has no cream. I use two heads of cauliflower (boiled in a chicken/veggie soup base) and when they're mostly tender I toss in 2 to 3 potatoes, cut into small cubes. Another 15 minutes and I puree using an immersion blender; add some cheese and I'm done. I absolutely love the texture.

My cream of cauliflower soup has no cream. I use two heads of cauliflower (boiled in a chicken/veggie soup base) and when they're mostly tender I toss in 2 to 3 potatoes, cut into small cubes. Another 15 minutes and I puree using an immersion blender; add some cheese and I'm done. I absolutely love the texture.
That sounds both dead easy and delicious! I must try.

In fact I'm inspired now - I'm going to make your soup and pair it with a recipe for Blue Cheese and Walnut scones (made with Spelt flour) that I've just found! :chef:

Last edited:
I saw a few weeks ago a recipe for a cream soup that called for potato as the base for the "cream". By I haven't been able to find the recipe again and all google searches lead to a Cream of Potato soup type of deal <g><sigh>!

Does anyone have a recipe for a base such as this, a cream base for soup using just potatoes and, say, butter and spices, etc.? Anything like this? Then one could easily just add mushrooms or broccoli to make each distinctive cream soup.

I think you've mis-interpreted or mis-understood the recipe. It probably is a cream of potato soup, they just didn't give it that title.

and they didn't give it that title as it was being used as a jumping off point for which ever flavour you wanted to incorporate. A vegie... broccoli, cauliflower, or mushrooms, anything you wanted.

Posts before have several ways to use potato as the base of another soup. Read them through. When you think of it and read them thru, they are simple bases.

I think you've mis-interpreted or mis-understood the recipe. It probably is a cream of potato soup, they just didn't give it that title.

and they didn't give it that title as it was being used as a jumping off point for which ever flavour you wanted to incorporate. A vegie... broccoli, cauliflower, or mushrooms, anything you wanted.

Posts before have several ways to use potato as the base of another soup. Read them through. When you think of it and read them thru, they are simple bases.
I find mushroom works better with flour as the binder.

--------------

Oh, dear, very sorry. I made an unconscious assumption somehow that this forum category was vegan, which is why having potato as the basis for a cream soup is so very vital. For health reasons, for the last 33 years I've been predominantly raw vegan but times are very hard and I'm finding that I need to bolster my diet with cheaper ingredients for things I can no longer afford or things I can't even find anymore.

So may I re-phrase my question, please, and I do sincerely apologize. It absolutely was a win to find this recipe for a vegan, non-meat-product base for a cream soup such as Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Broccoli and why I am so eager to find it again. I happened to make a couple of soups that that week and it was fantastic, but I can't find the printout and I didn't bookmark the recipe (and what I did with that printout is a mystery to me! lol. A senior moment for sure in losing it!!! lol).

So, please, if anyone knows a _VEGAN_ cream soup base that relies on potato, that would be super! I've always been an idiot when trying to figure things out on my own and I'll just waste ingredients again (I tried to re-create this but I'm just hopeless without a recipe, lol!) so that's why I looked for and found a forum to help.

Thank you!

I find mushroom works better with flour as the binder.

No, it was a cream soup base made with potato as the base for the "cream" (it was a vegan site, I remember, i just lost the printout and somehow forgot to bookmark it. Silly, I know!!). It was grand having this as a resource. And perhaps it was a more "watery" version as opposed to strictly cream, of course, but the result was great, giving us with health reasons a great way to enjoy our old favorite "cream" soups without the dairy!

Thank you!

Absolutely! Here's a quick and easy potato-based cream soup
Creamy Potato Base:
.3 cups diced potatoes
.2 tbsp butter
.1 medium chopped onion
.2 cloves minced garlic
.4 cups chicken or veggie broth
.1 cup heavy cream
Salt, pepper, and spices to taste
Saute onions and garlic in butter.
Add potatoes, broth, and simmer until tender.
Blend until smooth then add cream and seasonings.
Simmer for 5-10 mins.
Customize with mushrooms and broccoli.

Thank you!

I made a huge mistake, and I apologize, I was also in a bit of a desperate rush that morning finding the forum, then posting, as I need to start cooking for my mom with dad away for a month. The recipe I found was a vegan one with no dairy (as an aside, butter is okay, I don't react to it I guess because there is little dairy in it being a fat [?]). I know there must be more than one person has come up with a potato-based, vegan version of cream soups, it's just to find it because all searches so far has led to CREAM OF POTATO soups, not vegan CREAM soups made with potatoes as the base for the "cream" (albeit it's an approximation without animal products or vegan-style milks to make them creamy, but that's okay. It was creamy enough for me and it was delicious!)

Also, it amazingly, didn't use any broth, animal or vegetable. which I also completely forgot about so forgot to mention.

I wish I had my older sister's ability to cook naturally! She never had to follow a recipe and just dumped things into a pot and her food always came amazing! Gourmet-like, too! Alas, I don't have her to consult anymore as I don't have that ability with decades of trying to prove that to be so <lol>, but I can follow a recipe and the food, if said recipe is good, comes out as great as the author's ability can provide, all credit to him/her! <lol>

Thank you!!!

Thank you!

I made a huge mistake, and I apologize, I was also in a bit of a desperate rush that morning finding the forum, then posting, as I need to start cooking for my mom with dad away for a month. The recipe I found was a vegan one with no dairy (as an aside, butter is okay, I don't react to it I guess because there is little dairy in it being a fat [?]). I know there must be more than one person has come up with a potato-based, vegan version of cream soups, it's just to find it because all searches so far has led to CREAM OF POTATO soups, not vegan CREAM soups made with potatoes as the base for the "cream" (albeit it's an approximation without animal products or vegan-style milks to make them creamy, but that's okay. It was creamy enough for me and it was delicious!)

Also, it amazingly, didn't use any broth, animal or vegetable. which I also completely forgot about so forgot to mention.

I wish I had my older sister's ability to cook naturally! She never had to follow a recipe and just dumped things into a pot and her food always came amazing! Gourmet-like, too! Alas, I don't have her to consult anymore as I don't have that ability with decades of trying to prove that to be so <lol>, but I can follow a recipe and the food, if said recipe is good, comes out as great as the author's ability can provide, all credit to him/her! <lol>

Thank you!!!
(My dear sister passed in 2018, you see.)

<lol> After a few days of fruitless searching, I stumbled upon the recipe!!

Here it is - for the crockpot:

(oops, it did have vegetable broth, I just omitted it as I don't have and it turned out great.)

But just now I finally stumbled upon just the recipe amongst so many unneeded cream of potato soups, a stovetop version (perseverance always pays off!):

So I have a great resource to use when I go over to mom's tonight to cook. She needs to get more veggies into her diet as she's not in the best of health and a cream soup of this type is just the ticket. And no unnecessary fillers/chemicals, etc., by making it from scratch.

Thank you to everyone who contributed! Much appreciated!

I understand all about not remembering where you found a recipe, even one you have used. I know you weren't asking for help about that, but I do have a suggestion. I use Copy Me That. I have a widget on my bookmarks bar that let's me copy a recipe from anywhere one is posted. It means that I have all of my internet recipes in one place. There is a link back to the original recipe. But, even if the original recipe goes away, I have a copy of the recipe in my account on Copy Me That. It's free. I like it so much that I paid for a premium membership, but that really isn't necessary. I use it every. single. day.

--------------

Oh, dear, very sorry. I made an unconscious assumption somehow that this forum category was vegan, which is why having potato as the basis for a cream soup is so very vital. For health reasons, for the last 33 years I've been predominantly raw vegan but times are very hard and I'm finding that I need to bolster my diet with cheaper ingredients for things I can no longer afford or things I can't even find anymore.

So may I re-phrase my question, please, and I do sincerely apologize. It absolutely was a win to find this recipe for a vegan, non-meat-product base for a cream soup such as Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Broccoli and why I am so eager to find it again. I happened to make a couple of soups that that week and it was fantastic, but I can't find the printout and I didn't bookmark the recipe (and what I did with that printout is a mystery to me! lol. A senior moment for sure in losing it!!! lol).

So, please, if anyone knows a _VEGAN_ cream soup base that relies on potato, that would be super! I've always been an idiot when trying to figure things out on my own and I'll just waste ingredients again (I tried to re-create this but I'm just hopeless without a recipe, lol!) so that's why I looked for and found a forum to help.

Thank you!
I made this with pretty good results. It uses both potatoes and cashews ( all blended up) to give it that creamy consistency. I would use a regular blender, or better yet, a Vitamin or one of those super powered blenders as opposed to an immersion blender.

Although not as good as its non-vegan counterpart ( with heavy cream), its still pretty good.

Many vegan recipes use some kind of soaked- blended up nut as a creaming element. Cheese is even made from the blended up nuts. I usually see almonds and cashews. I prefer cashews as they are softer and form a better consistency ( in my opinion).

***I'm kind of the token 'Vegetarian/ vegan' of the group, so if you have any questions, let me know.***

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom