Strange but Yummy Sarnies! (Sandwiches)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
I often eat sandwiches that some find odd so I was wondering if anyone else puts strange combo's on sandwiches that actually taste good?

I like the following combos ...

Peanut butter and thinly sliced gouda

Salt and Vinegar or Tomato crisps on white bread with butter

Chunky cottage cheese with youngberry jam on rye

Ham and Apricot Jam

Thick slices off ripe tomato with sour cream, salt and pepper

Toasted bacon and banana

Duck liver pate with marmelade etc.

What odd combo do you suggest that taste good? :)

I discovered a new treat yesterday rushing to find something for myself to have with Dad for lunch (pureed ravioli wasn't appealing at the time :LOL:).

I had bought some wonderful cheese bread from our bakery and had some procuitto left over from DH's lunches for the week. I toasted two slices of the bread, slathered with margerine and added scrunched up procuitto slices. While it sounds like an unlikely combination, it was delicious!

I don't know Snip, some of those combos sound pretty darn good! The peanut butter and Gouda might be a bit out there and the duck liver pate with marmalade I probably couldn't get past the pate. Most of the others though would be delish!

I discovered a new treat yesterday rushing to find something for myself to have with Dad for lunch (pureed ravioli wasn't appealing at the time :LOL:).

I had bought some wonderful cheese bread from our bakery and had some procuitto left over from DH's lunches for the week. I toasted two slices of the bread, slathered with margerine and added scrunched up procuitto slices. While it sounds like an unlikely combination, it was delicious!

Pureed ravioli doesn't sound like it would be appealing at any time :ermm:

:LOL:

I don't know Snip, some of those combos sound pretty darn good! The peanut butter and Gouda might be a bit out there and the duck liver pate with marmalade I probably couldn't get past the pate. Most of the others though would be delish!

Maybe you and I are normal then and the people who find my combo's strange are the odd one :LOL: The peanut butter and cheese combo does sound a bit weird I know but it tastes pretty darn good!

Thanks Jabbur :)

I had something for lunch that some may think a bit odd. I had some cucumber salad leftover from yesterday so I filled a pita pocket with that and sliced turkey. It was delicious and certainly didn't make me feel as full as a usual sandwich. I still had room for some fresh figs.

Sounds good to me :) I'll even put some mustard and sauerkraut on top of that :LOL:
My brother ate 3/4 of the loaf of bread when we got home from school each day when I was growing up so I ate whatever I could find! Having strange toppings on my sandwiches also stopped him from asking for them :LOL:

Last edited:
Maybe you and I are normal then and the people who find my combo's strange are the odd one :LOL: The peanut butter and cheese combo does sound a bit weird I know but it tastes pretty darn good!

Thanks Jabbur :)
I don't find the pb and gouda odd. I like pb and mayo or thin sliced viadlia onion yummers the rest soound wonderful except the duck I don't eat duck Thanks grandma:mad:
kades

I don't find the pb and gouda odd. I like pb and mayo or thin sliced viadlia onion yummers the rest soound wonderful except the duck I don't eat duck Thanks grandma:mad:
kades

I'll try the PB and Mayo but raw onion?:ermm: I think I'll pass on the raw onion :LOL:
I have a thing about eating raw banana because my dad made me eat them and it made me sick so I can't face it even now. I eat them cooked and in combination with other ingredients :) Why don't you eat Duck if I may ask?

I had something for lunch that some may think a bit odd. I had some cucumber salad leftover from yesterday so I filled a pita pocket with that and sliced turkey. It was delicious and certainly didn't make me feel as full as a usual sandwich. I still had room for some fresh figs.

That sounds yummy :) I'll try that sometime!

I'll try the PB and Mayo but raw onion?:ermm: I think I'll pass on the raw onion :LOL:
I have a thing about eating raw banana because my dad made me eat them and it made me sick so I can't face it even now. I eat them cooked and in combination with other ingredients :) Why don't you eat Duck if I may ask?
I came home from school and went looking for my pet duck he was no where to be found. I was really upset went running into the house and the wine smell hit me and I knew duck was for dinner I then asked my grandmother is that my duck you're cooking. YES and I really came unglued. got sent to bed hungry because I balked at eating rocky and haven't ever eaten duck since gramma was on my hit list for a long time.
kades

I came home from school and went looking for my pet duck he was no where to be found. I was really upset went running into the house and the wine smell hit me and I knew duck was for dinner I then asked my grandmother is that my duck you're cooking. YES and I really came unglued. got sent to bed hungry because I balked at eating rocky and haven't ever eaten duck since gramma was on my hit list for a long time.
kades

Sorry about Rocky :(
I must admit I did laugh at how you told the story. I can just picture your face and poor Grandma on the hit list :ROFLMAO:
My daughter's cat had 4 kittens and she went missing a while ago with all 4 of them. I told my daughter but all she said was "oh well, they must be kitty chowmein by now"

Sorry about Rocky :(
I must admit I did laugh at how you told the story. I can just picture your face and poor Grandma on the hit list :ROFLMAO:
My daughter's cat had 4 kittens and she went missing a while ago with all 4 of them. I told my daughter but all she said was "oh well, they must be kitty chowmein by now"
:ohmy::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
kades

I also like lots of crisp lettuce or arugula with pepper and mayo on fresh ciabatta.

Leftover green bean mash or creamed spinach on toast.

Baked beans mixed with fried onion, mayo and grated cheese in a toasted sandwich or on toast.

A mix of cream cheese, grated cheddar or gouda and chopped peeled apple is also yummy.

Apricot jam and thin slices of cheese.

Creamstyle sweetcorn mixed with mayo and pepper.

A soft poached egg with a potato cake and fried tomato on a fresh bread roll etc etc

I'll pass on the kitty chowmein, but I'm inclined to try all your wicked combos, Snip! I'll get back to this thread if I come up with my own new signature sammie...

I'll pass on the kitty chowmein, but I'm inclined to try all your wicked combos, Snip! I'll get back to this thread if I come up with my own new signature sammie...
Thank you Spork :)
Don't worry all kitty's are safe here too :ROFLMAO: Promise I wasn't the one that made the cats vanish!
I would love your ideas, please do post them when you think of some!

Yes there are some pretty strange combos going on here. The strangest i've eaten is banana and cheese toasted sandwich. It works

spread a slice of wonderbread type white bread with unsalted butter--not just a smear, a layer. now top it with a generous layer of sugar. delicious without the bread too--just mix together sugar with sweet butter and eat it off your spoon. what?

Back
Top Bottom