Grandma Brown's Scones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraidKnot

Washing Up
2 c. flour, sifted
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1-1/3 c. buttermilk
1-1/2 c. vegetable oil*

Grandma Hannah Smith Douglas Brown was born in Kirkintillach, Scotland, in 1896. This is her recipe. Blend all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Stir in the buttermilk until well mixed then stir in the oil. [*Note, I'm sure she learned to make this using lard or some other fat and had modified it to use vegetable oil by the time I was given the recipe in the 1970's.] Knead the dough briefly, then roll out the dough onto a floured board to 1/2 inch thick. Cut the dough into triangles, about 3 inches across at the widest point. Bake on a greased cast iron griddle on high, even heat (about 400F degrees) until golden brown on each side. Serve with sweet butter and jam or thick clotted cream.

I inherited her cast iron griddle :)

Fraidy

Here's my family recipe for scones, copied from another thread.

SCONES
8 oz plain flour
Half teaspoon salt
1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2level teaspoon cream of tartar
1.5 oz butter
1.5 oz caster sugar
1 egg beaten lightly and added to enough milk to make up a quarter of a pint of liquid

Make sure you dust the oven tray and
scones with flour before baking

Sift the flour, salt, bicarb and cream of tartar. Rub in the butter and stir in sugar.
Pour the egg/milk mixture into dry ingredients - use a fork to mix quickly to a dough - don't handle too much or they will be tough! The resulting dough should be very soft, but not sticky.

Turn out and pat or roll to a half inch thickness (no less or they resemble
biscuits). Use a 2 inch cutter to cut into rounds.

Put them on the well floured (not greased) baking tray and dust the tops with
flour. Put onto the top shelf of the oven at Gas Mark 7, 320c or 425F for 10-12 minutes until risen and golden.

Leave to cool slightly, split and fill with butter and jam.

We use butter as the 'fat' content of our scones.

BTW - It's KirkintillOch! Oh and our griddles are called 'girdles' :chef: Girdle scones are slightly different to oven baked scones - I use my girdle for tattie scones, and treacle scones.

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but here's the Wiki entry for Kirkintilloch, which you might find interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirkintilloch

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom