Can buttermilk be used in instant pancake mixes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
If I have a pancake mix that says to just add milk or water, if I add buttermilk, will it screw anything up?

Not unless you're allergic to buttermilk, no. But don't most pancake mixes already have buttermilk in them?

Well I was just unsure if the mix already had buttermilk powder in it whether adding more buttermilk would make it too acidic and make them not rise properly. Anyways thanks for the comments, I'll go ahead and use the buttermilk.

Crankin....make two small batches, one with just buttermik, one with half milk, half buttermilk...Might be interesting...

Enjoy and have Fun!

Crankin,
today I wanted to make a quick dessert without having to spend hours. So I took bisquick added melted butter,spices peaches and the recipe called for milk..Well, I grabbed the butter milk and ued that..My DH said that it's the best cobbler he's tasted yet!!! I tasted it and I do like the little bit of tang the buttermilk gave the cobbler..Instead of just sweet, it was a sweetness with tang.I think you'll like the pancakes with buttermilk, they should taste a little along the lines of a sourdough pancake and those are wonderful..
Give it a try and let us know how you feel about it.

kadesma:)

adding the buttermilk will definitely make it on the tangier side
i would think that you'dneed to use it right away because with the added acid of the buttermilk the chemical reaction that would make your pancakes light and fluffy will occur sooner but then again the reaction is heat induced so i could just be wrong
let us know how it turns out please

I made them this morning and they turned out really nice. I haven't tried this particular mix using regular milk or water, but with the buttermilk they had a very nice rise to them. I think I will always use real buttermilk now whether I use a store bought mix or make the mix myself.

Glad to hear your pancakes were a success. Buttermilk really gives biscuits,waffles,pancakes and such a nice touch.

kadesma

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom