"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Oyster Shooters

[IMG][/IMG]
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:19 PM   #22
Certified/Certifiable

If corn mea; and panko are too crunchy, uncooked farina gives a great, soft crunch when mixed half and half with flour. Also, tempura is a softer crunch as well.

If usi, the flour/farina, i would season with salt, pepper, and maybe Old Bay. Drake's Fish fry coating would also be good on fried oysters.

I used to enjoy oyster stew, that is until I bit into an oyster one time and it had a pasty green stuff inside. I haven't been able to eat oysters since. I do love clamps, and all other seafood I've tried.

Seeeeya; Chuef Longwind of th North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:39 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Oyster Shooters

[IMG][/IMG]
Beautiful. Looks great and I am certain it tastes even better.
Did you shuck those or get them out of a container?
And is that cocktail sauce?
Thanks.....Looks like something I am into trying.

Chief. Yes, tempura was something I was thinking about.
I saw that lots of people double flour oysters and drop them. Might be the easy option and maybe the best?
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:05 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Grill them like they do in NOLA. You can partially grill them enough so they are easier to open, then put the compound butter mixture of your choice on the oyster in the shell and finish grilling them. Google "french market grilled oysters" and you'll get recipes for various butters. No snotty texture. Be careful not to overcook them though.
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:33 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Looking forward to trying that Medtran. Occasionally some of the seafood sellers here get oysters in the shell.

How to shuck an oyster properly:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...oGy5wKn0ojYBA8

USAToday review of NOLA Grilled Oysters with Butter Sauce:

https://www.10best.com/interests/rec...n-new-orleans/
RCJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:24 PM   #26
Executive Chef

I think you'll really like them grilled. I like them raw with fresh squeezed lemon juice and/or hot sauce (Crystal, which is really not that hot) depending on what kind of oyster it is, but I love grilled oysters and have been known to make a piggy of myself on them.

There are a couple of places locally we can get specific types of fresh oysters from the Atlantic coast, the Gulf coast, and the Pacific coast. They aren't cheap when you buy like that though. One of my favorites is Wianno (sp ?) and you just squeeze a little lemon juice on them.

My BIL used to place the preshucked ones in muffin tins with a small piece of raw bacon, butter, hot sauce and the oyster, maybe something else, then bake them. The bacon piece was still a bit chewy. I don't remember details exactly and Craig can't right now, but I remember we both thought the bacon completely overpowered the oyster flavor.

Use fine corn meal mixed with flour and you won't get that real coarse/rough texture. You can also run panko through the food processor before using and the texture will be finer.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:27 AM   #27
Senior Cook

It's like 4:00 am and I'm up as always thinking about cooking something.

I turned on the TV and low and behold there is a program I hadn't seen before. LXTV 1st Look.

This morning there is this food journalist "Johnny Banana's" and he's in France speaking with a salt maker and on to an Oyster Farmer.

The Farm grows Oysters on strings and explains the methods & purpose of his industry. But he says this technology is a couple of hundred years old.

Ahhh...I've read where the ancient Roman's used it way back then. In a once city known as Balae which has sunken below the ocean near Naples where Oysters were reportedly grown using a similar system and were said to be the finest available in those times.

https://globalfirstsandfacts.com/201...circa-110-bce/

But here is the link to the 1st Look program.

I've not seen Oysters marketed in my area by variety. I think they are all generic here.
RCJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Grill them like they do in NOLA. You can partially grill them enough so they are easier to open, then put the compound butter mixture of your choice on the oyster in the shell and finish grilling them. Google "french market grilled oysters" and you'll get recipes for various butters. No snotty texture. Be careful not to overcook them though.
They are in a plastic container from Costco. If they were still in the shell, I would have not asked for help.
I have never purchased any this way. I had an urge for oysters and these were the first oysters I saw. I am 250 miles from the coast as well.
Thank you though.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #29
Executive Chef

You could do them in the little muffin tins. The ones that are 12 to each tin. That would be about the same size cup area as a shell.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Beautiful. Looks great and I am certain it tastes even better.
Did you shuck those or get them out of a container?
And is that cocktail sauce?
Thanks.....Looks like something I am into trying.

Chief. Yes, tempura was something I was thinking about.
I saw that lots of people double flour oysters and drop them. Might be the easy option and maybe the best?
Pacific Oysters shucked, homemade cocktail sauce Bud lite Chelada and homemade Hot Sauce...
Old 11-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Pacific Oysters shucked, homemade cocktail sauce Bud lite Chelada and homemade Hot Sauce...
They look great. Its hit and miss around here trying to buy oysters. Oysters still in their shell.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Oyster shooters w/ hot sauce pearls & mint pearls...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #33
Cupcake

I love oysters most any way they are made. Clams too. Raw, steamed, fried, grilled, etc. Yes, I chew them. So yummy to me. :)

~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oysters