Spam fries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr morbius

Senior Cook
Tomorrow night I am making ham steak and green bean casserole for my daughter and myself, but my wife cannot eat ham steak. Her teeth can't handle anything so chewy. So in the past, I have simply fried slices of spam for her, but I have since done some research. It turns out there's such a thing as spam fries. Essentially, cut the spam into sticks, coat with flour, egg wash, bread crumbs, fry in oil for 3-4 minutes and you're done.

There are also breaded ham steaks, which are spam slices double coated with flour and egg wash and then fried. I expect I might go with the bread crumbs.

Does anyone here cook with spam? My wife rather likes it and it's an easy thing to give her when I'm making something for the rest of the family she can't eat. I'm thinking the spam fries might be tastier than the breaded spam steaks.

Quite a few will answer this I am pretty sure.
I never realized just how popular Spam still was. I was amazed for all of the postings on various threads about it.
I know my mum used to use it but I don't even remember in what manner.

If she likes it, that's all that matters!! Go for it and let us know your and her thoughts on the Spam fries!?

I'll be interested to hear about other Spam recipes, I'm sure there will be more than a few. I keep Spam on the shelf, for the Zombie Apocalypse! o_O

SPAM always had a place on the emergency shelf.

IMO it has too many nutritional strikes against it, for the price, if a fresh source of meat is available.

I agree with @GinnyPNW, if she likes it that’s really all that matters.

The folks at SPAM offer up this fritter recipe and many more.

If you have access to a food processor or meat grinder you might consider making an old fashioned ham loaf or ham meatballs. There are many recipes on the internet and both can be frozen in meal size portions.

Last edited:
The wife was not impressed. I thought they were okay.

Oh well. On the plus side, my daughter will pretty much eat anything, so she will probably gobble them up, most likely with ranch dressing. Also on the plus side, making spam fries causes a bit of a mess, so it is probably a blessing that I won't be doing it again.

So far, of the ways I've tried to make her spam, the way my wife likes it best is this: I melt some butter and mix it with brown sugar on a plate. Then I fry her spam slices and dredge them in my "glaze" afterwards. Actually glazing the slices before I fry them causes caramelization on the outside of the spam slice, and it basically burns. I suppose I could glaze and then bake some slices, but if I'm going to go to that much trouble, I may as well make her something real and moderately healthy.

She loved the green bean casserole, though. We're huge on that in my house. We eat it maybe a dozen times a year. It goes great with ham steak.

Another thing we do with spam is toss it in a pasta salad. I understand that they're really big on spam in Hawaii, as it is shelf stable and the cost of importing beef, chicken and so forth to the islands is hefty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom