I need to flavor noodles w/out using dairy or gluten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My husband is celiac and I also have been cooking for special diets for a few years now.

I know B'sGirl knows this, but just for information purposes there are several options for those that can't eat wheat pasta.

There are the Asian rice noodles; however, gluten free companies also make rice noodles that are similar to regular noodles - macaroni, spaghetti, linguine, penne, lasagna, etc. They take getting used to, but when it is all you can have, you certainly acquire a taste, and some brands are better than others. You can also get corn pasta and other gluten free grains.

So the noodle is not the problem, it is just what to put on it and when you have a little boy who can't have wheat or dairy, it becomes a challenge.

Pesto is good. I also like to put olive oil, fresh basil, tomato salt and pepper :)

Nutritional yeast with a little bit of tamari is also good.

Macaroni and Non-Dairy Cheese!!!

This is where kosher cooking comes in handy. We never eat dairy if we are having a 'meat' meal. Therefore, I have become used to substituting non-dairy ingredients for dairy ones.

There is non-dairy Tofutti cream cheese. Melt some of that in a pan, add some rice or soy milk to get the proper consistency (rice seems not to disrupt flavour so much) Add some sharper non-dairy cheese or if you can find it, some Parma Vegan Parmesan - heat slowly and add whatever flavourings he likes and you have either macaroni and 'cheese' or Alfredo sauce! (Add a dash of nutmeg or allspice and a bit of garlic if that is your choice for the Alfredo)

I have a link of non-dairy brand names for you that you can possibly get.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to post the URL for Go Dairy Free dot org (Look under Dairy Alternatives) as I am new here. I hope this helps.

Use rice or other non-gluten noodles and add some cooked chicken for extra protein if he likes it.

Cheers!

Leeba

That's what I was thinking as well. What kind of noodles are being fed to the boy? If they're "macaroni", those all contain flour. Rice noodles, on the other hand, are ok. How about bean thread noodles may be acceptable, you'd have to check the ingredients on the package.

Both of those are Asian. I would suggest doing a lot of Asian recipes.

Don't worry, I'm very aware of which noodles have flour. He actually prefers elbow noodles made from corn or quinoa flour, or animal noodles made from rice flour. I give him bean noodles and rice noodles occasionally, but he really just likes the elbow noodles.

This is where kosher cooking comes in handy. We never eat dairy if we are having a 'meat' meal. Therefore, I have become used to substituting non-dairy ingredients for dairy ones.

There is non-dairy Tofutti cream cheese. Melt some of that in a pan, add some rice or soy milk to get the proper consistency (rice seems not to disrupt flavour so much) Add some sharper non-dairy cheese or if you can find it, some Parma Vegan Parmesan - heat slowly and add whatever flavourings he likes and you have either macaroni and 'cheese' or Alfredo sauce! (Add a dash of nutmeg or allspice and a bit of garlic if that is your choice for the Alfredo)

I have a link of non-dairy brand names for you that you can possibly get.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to post the URL for Go Dairy Free dot org (Look under Dairy Alternatives) as I am new here. I hope this helps.
That would be so awesome if I could use those to make mac 'n' cheese! Do you happen to know if those ingredients contain casein(milk protein)? So far he has not been able to digest soy cheeses for that reason. I'm going to look those up right now and see if I can find out!

I frequently use miso to simulate the salty and cultured flavor of parmesan and ground cashews to add a creaminess in sauces. A little lemon juice adds tang. Nutritional yeast also has bit of a cheesy flavor, but it can have a 'bite' that many find unpleasant.

Here is my Alfredo Sauce:

3 tbs margarine
1/4 cup flour
2 cups unsweetened soy milk (not plain)
12 oz silken tofu
1/4 cup cashews
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 small lemon, juiced
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs mild miso

heat the margarine over medium-low heat until melted. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until the mixture turns a light, golden hue, about 5 minutes. While the flour browns, add the remaining ingredients to a blender and blend thoroughly until smooth. Remove from heat and pour into the margarine/flour roux. Whisk to combine and return to low heat until the pasta is ready.

I don't know if it contains casein, Michelle. I only look out for any rennet in cheeses, as that is a 'meat' product that would be mixed with the 'dairy' Let me know what you find out.

I also see that Vyapti has put up a recipe for Alfredo. I have to look for soy milk that is unsweetened...that has been why I dislike it, I think. Too sweet! I did not know there was such a thing. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom