Best Buns for Burgers - BBQ Dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
So - I'm having a few vaxxed friends over for burgers this weekend - outside. it's finally almost warm enough. We're having burgers and fixin's.

What Kind of buns are best?

I used to buy fresh made Telera Rolls with some chew at the local bakery but they are no longer making them. Grocery store bakery kaiser rolls are too big.
The really squishy buns made by nationally known bakeries just don't hold up to big juicy burgers and frankly have little flavor.

I have considered making Telera buns but I've never done this so.. well, crapshoot. I found a simple recipe that might work: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/telera-rolls-recipe

What kind of buns do you prefer? Any suggestions?

...What Kind of buns are best?...

What kind of buns do you prefer? Any suggestions?

I have been making the hamburger bun recipe from KA Flour. They are more substantial than store-bought rolls. I don't add the seeds on top.

I have yet to bake my own hamburger buns, but my favorite from the supermarket are Orowheat Onion buns.

Potato rolls are cool..they toast up nice and are soft in the middle..I find if the bun is too crusty or hard the ingredients all go squishing out the end, or the bun cracks in half, crumbs all over and they become a mess to eat..the softness is important as it holds the ingredients better..IMHO
My wife isn't a fan unless they are toasted a bit...They can fall into the mushy categorie..

Attachments

• sandwichRolls_Large.png
    sandwichRolls_Large.png
    372 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I like plain old sesame seed buns. Not a fan of all this new fangled fancy made up bun types.

Why would I want a hard chewy or dried out bun.

Near the Martin's potato rolls (if they sell them where you live) are some buns called "Big Marty's" they are soft but still substantial and don't sog out quickly. They are what I use when I don't make my own.

Great recipe for hamburger buns, hot dog buns, submarine buns, and dinner rolls. Also, when fried, makes amazing yeast-raised doughnuts.

1lb Potatoes (approximately 3 med potatoes) Cooked and mashed. ( you can use instant potatoes if you wish too)
-Reserve 1/2 cup of liquid from boiling potatoes
-Mix: 1 1/2 C warm milk
1/2 C oil
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 TBS salt

When potato water has cooled to about 90'F, add 2TBS of active dry Yeast to water and then add to previous mixture.
Add 7 1/2 C flour ( dough will be soft) and I usually mix the last cup or so into mixture by hand kneading.
Let raise till double then roll out and cut into circles. Dip in melted butter. Place two circles on tiop of each other. Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
Let rise again. Bake @ 350 for 20 min until golden brown.

To make these work with your juicy burgers, and not get all squixhy, Seperate into two halves, and brush the inside surface with olive oil, or melted butter. Grill over fire, or place toast on hot griddle pan. Assemble you burgers as follows?:
On bottom bun:
Lettuce (not shredded),
tomato
burger
cheese
Condiments (pickle, relish, catsup, mustard, mayo, etc.)
Onion slices

The lettuce leaves should be dry. They will act as a barrier to burger juice saturating the bun. The onion slice and cheese will do the same for the top bun. Toasting the bun will give it holding power/structure. These buns are full of great flavor s well.

If you like a truly substantial bun, you might try this recipe:
https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/easy-pretzel-rolls/

Simply shape into burger bun size.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That is a tough question to ask. I like plain white rolls, brioche rolls, potato rolls, and even bagels (I have a bagel burger on this forum, somewhere).

CD

I've gone the full gamut of buns over the years, in search of the perfect burger bun...onion buns, pretzel buns, you name it..I've gone full circle and now my burgers are pretty much classic as I use barely any seasoning in my burger and a white Wonder Bread bun..

I use the Walmart Brioche buns or the Kroger cheese buns. Takes it all to the next level of flavor.
Kroger grocery stores appear in various names across the country.
Ralphs, Frys, many others.

The Walmart Brioche buns are delicious and about half the price of other Brioche brands. Usually on a roller rack against the wall in the bakery section.
f9084e47-e0d8-4128-ab31-44958f7fffd7.1881624a742e57e20543edecf5b57642.jpeg

Kroger cheese buns:

No matter which bun you decide on, proper construction assures that the bun won't get soggy.

I would be interested in seeing how DC members construct their burgers.

My 3 FAVs:

1.) Hawaiian - Toasted whole wheat bun
Bun bottom, mayo, chopped iceberg lettuce, chopped white onions, patty topped with melted Monterrey Jack cheese, slice of grilled pineapple, teriyaki sauce, bun top.

2.) Fat Burger - Toasted onion bun
Bun bottom, mayo, chopped iceberg lettuce, chopped white onions, yellow mustard, relish, patty topped with melted cheddar cheese, chili, bun top.

3.) Classic - Toasted sesame seed bun
Bun bottom, 1000 island, broken iceberg lettuce, sliced dill pickles, tomato slice, white onion slice (or grilled onions), patty topped with melted American cheese, 1000 island (again), bun top.

No matter which bun you decide on, proper construction assures that the bun won't get soggy.

I fry them on a pan in butter until they are toasted.
It waterproofs them a bit, then careful with the toppings.
Use lettuce as an insulator between the sauce on the meat and the bun.

the best for me are the classic Seeded Burger Buns. I like their milky taste, but they are not suitable for really big burgers

we took Italian ciabatta several times instead of regular buns - it was really tasty! especially if it is with cheese or olives. you can make one large burger at a time, or you can cut it in two.

Attachments

• 1533035979-Seeded-Baps-5-inch-x48---BRE0001.jpg
    1533035979-Seeded-Baps-5-inch-x48---BRE0001.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 97
  • AdobeStock_72328575.jpg
    AdobeStock_72328575.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Caprese-ciabatta-1-300x300.jpg
    Caprese-ciabatta-1-300x300.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 173
Back
Top Bottom