Calzones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
What are typical ingredients in a calzone? I have always thought they were just a pocket of pizza ingredients, but at work they make it primarily with ricotta cheese which generally makes them a very acquired taste. Even other pizzerias think it's odd.

When I used to get Calzones, the basic calzone had Ricotta and Mozzarella in , and usually came with a side of sauce to dip it in. That was just the basic of basic calzones. From that you could add basically anything you wanted in it, which would make it like a giant pizza pocket.

I haven't had one in years, but now, with all the ' gourmet pizza's ' , I'm sure the varieties of what's inside are endless.

I like calzones stuffed with greens that have been sauteed in olive oil with garlic, and hot pepper flakes, a little mozzarella, dry ricotta and hot sausage seasoned with fennel seed.

The greens can be anything from spinach to rapini but I prefer greens with a little bite to them.

Probably the best approach would be to let your customers decide, similar to selecting the toppings for a pizza, and then add a couple of the popular versions to the menu as a grab 'n go item.

Last edited:
Our favorite calzone is ricotta, mozzarella and ham. Sauce on the side.

calzone_072718_1_IMG_4654.jpg

calzone_072718_3_IMG_4662.JPG

Calzones typically contain ricotta along with other cheeses and meats.

Strombolis are often made with mozzarella and pizza sauce.

If you're making one, you can put anything you want in it. If you're buying one, expect ricotta in a calzone but not a stromboli.

I have a ex coworker that made a great Onion Stromboli. It was great. I never got her recipe cause she would bring it in so often, I never thought id have to make it myself.

Back
Top Bottom