Epicurean outlet store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
If you find yourself in the Duluth, Minnesota area, consider a visit to the Epicurean factory store. Besides their great cutting boards they had lots of other cool stuff. We got a pizza peel which is way better than any of the three we tried before. They had tasting flight boards, and other things we couldn't live without. Victorinox knives too. It's actually in Superior, Wisconsin, in a heavy industrial area among shipyards and grain elevators. We were certain we made a wrong turn, but Google Maps was accurate. The more you know.

We have a Le Creuset outlet store near me in Allen, Texas. I got all my cast iron there. All the stuff I bought was "factory seconds," but I could not find anything wrong with them.

If anyone is coming to town for the eclipse, that's another thing to do while here. (y)

CD

There was a place up in NYC where back in the early 80s I got my Le Creuset pots (and many others) dirt cheap - supposedly "seconds", but I really had to search hard to find anything wrong with any of them. The most I ever paid for any of those was $42 for the 9 qt oval Dutch oven.

We have a Le Creuset outlet store near me in Allen, Texas. I got all my cast iron there. All the stuff I bought was "factory seconds," but I could not find anything wrong with them.

If anyone is coming to town for the eclipse, that's another thing to do while here. (y)

CD
I got all my LC at their outlet stores. Discontinued colors and seconds but perfect.

I got all my LC at their outlet stores. Discontinued colors and seconds but perfect.

I'm usually able to find seconds in my color, which is Flame -- possibly the most popular color. They have different items in the seconds area every time I go to the store. If someone wants a particular item for the lowest price, they may need to go multiple times until what they want is there.

CD

I have been told that the reason that some companies' seconds are often perfect is because they are actually firsts. It's just not cost effect to sort more carefully and they don't want any seconds or thirds ending up with the full priced firsts. It's much better for the companies' PR to sell some firsts as seconds. It keeps their reputation good and makes new, loyal customers.

I have been told that the reason that some companies' seconds are often perfect is because they are actually firsts. It's just not cost effect to sort more carefully and they don't want any seconds or thirds ending up with the full priced firsts. It's much better for the companies' PR to sell some firsts as seconds. It keeps their reputation good and makes new, loyal customers.

I'm guessing that the products Le Creuset sells as "seconds" are still collecting big profit margins.

The stuff they sell through retailers like William Sonoma sell for more, but those retailers pay about 50-percent off retail for them, once co-op money and other incentives are figured in. If LC can sell them at their own outlets for 40-percent off of retail as "seconds," they are making at least as much money. Calling them "seconds" keeps the retailers from revolting, because consumers assume the seconds are somehow defective, compared to what they sell in their stores.

CD

I'm guessing that the products Le Creuset sells as "seconds" are still collecting big profit margins.

The stuff they sell through retailers like William Sonoma sell for more, but those retailers pay about 50-percent off retail for them, once co-op money and other incentives are figured in. If LC can sell them at their own outlets for 40-percent off of retail as "seconds," they are making at least as much money. Calling them "seconds" keeps the retailers from revolting, because consumers assume the seconds are somehow defective, compared to what they sell in their stores.

CD
That seems likely as well.

There was a store, Factory 2 U, that had kitchenware at remarkably low prices. I nearly cleaned them out! Unfortunately they closed, likely because they couldn't keep stocked.

I went to a Le Creuset retail/seconds once. Found the prices no better than in the stores. Maybe 5 or 10 $$ off - but when you think that casserole pan was about 3 or 4 hundred $$ then that 10$ was not much of a savings.

I went to a Le Creuset retail/seconds once. Found the prices no better than in the stores. Maybe 5 or 10 $$ off - but when you think that casserole pan was about 3 or 4 hundred $$ then that 10$ was not much of a savings.

Wow, that's not how it is at my local LC outlet. 30-percent off has been the norm for factory seconds, and sometimes as much as 50-percent. If you are registered with the store, you sometimes get an additional discount.

CD

Exactly what I was going to say. We have an outlet mall here in Eagan, speaking of Minnesota, there is Le Creuset store there. I was there like 3 weeks ago. I did not find anything that was a great buy. Prices are on the par with regular store sale prices. Nothing special, no big deal at all.

Exactly what I was going to say. We have an outlet mall here in Eagan, speaking of Minnesota, there is Le Creuset store there. I was there like 3 weeks ago. I did not find anything that was a great buy. Prices are on the par with regular store sale prices. Nothing special, no big deal at all.

Again, that surprises me. The outlet near me has stocked my kitchen with cast iron. Like I mentioned before, I won't find everything I want at a great price on every day, but if I go on a regular basis, what I want will eventually be there for a great price.

CD

Unfortunately I don't drive cars south for the snowbirds anymore. I have no idea if they are any different than they used to be. Keep in mind that was quite a while ago.
t

Wow, that's not how it is at my local LC outlet. 30-percent off has been the norm for factory seconds, and sometimes as much as 50-percent. If you are registered with the store, you sometimes get an additional discount.

CD
Same here. My 5.5-quart Le Creuset enameled cast iron Dutch oven was half off because it was a floor model. It had a few black marks on the bottom, but I don't care lol I have several other pieces that were also at least 30 percent off.

I don't put Lodge and le Crueset in the same league in the first place.

I think le Crueset with their coated pans are popular with home cooks. But I shouldn't think you'd see them in restaurants.

Lodge bare cast iron is made in the USA. It is high quality, and a good value. It is also something you keep for a lifetime, and pass on to the kids. Their coated cast iron is a good value, but made in China. I'm sure it does a decent job, but it is not an heirloom that you use for 40 years, and pass on to your kids to use for another 40 years.

Le Creuset is an enameled cast iron you pass on through generations.

As for restaurant kitchens, I would not be surprised to see Le Creuset iron in one, especially in France, but even in the US.

CD

Sorry casey, I still cannot see that enameling lasting very long in a restaurant.

Yes, both for sure can be passed on down for generations and much has. But extra care has to be taken with the enameling, I've seen many pots, still useable but only just barely, all from being scorched and burnt.

Back
Top Bottom