Epicurean outlet store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry casey, I still cannot see that enameling lasting very long in a restaurant.

Yes, both for sure can be passed on down for generations and much has. But extra care has to be taken with the enameling, I've seen many pots, still useable but only just barely, all from being scorched and burnt.

Oh, even the best from Le Creuset will get discolored. My most used pieces are discolored. Some of us would call that "patina." But, that is true of all the well used pots and pans, like you would find in a professional kitchen. My friend's prime steakhouse kitchen is full of pots and pans that look terrible. But, they work great -- the food coming from that kitchen is awesome.

CD

Here is a video from America's Test Kitchen. It is their Dutch oven test. They put a bunch of enameled cast iron through the wringer, and came up with there best, and there best value.

CD

Last edited:
I'm not talking discoloured - that is very true - I'm talking burnt and even I accidently popped a piece of the enameling off one of my Creuset pots. Learning to use the bane of my new life on the induction burner. Blew a bubble right off the bottom of the pot. Must have been an air bubble there. I've had that pot for more than 28 years and yeah, the bottom was a bit discoloured but not burnt and not pitted - which it is now. :mad:

20240403_175900.jpg
nasty little popped pit!
20240403_180008.jpg

From fondue to rice, one of my favourite pots. The lid is also a frying pan. Which is the one most discoloured but only slightly. Pretty darn good for almost 30 years.

I have no idea what I did wrong on my last post, but I tried to fix it and just made it worse. Hopefully it makes sense.

CD

LOL, no casey, it is definitely cast iron. You'll know when it lands on your foot.

Just kidding, I've never dropped it.

Sorry casey, I still cannot see that enameling lasting very long in a restaurant.

Yes, both for sure can be passed on down for generations and much has. But extra care has to be taken with the enameling, I've seen many pots, still useable but only just barely, all from being scorched and burnt.
And from being washed wrong, like with steel wool.

Back
Top Bottom