Canned Pumpkin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robynhood

Assistant Cook
Could someone let me know the ingredients of canned pumpkin? we have plenty fresh pumpkin but I cannot find any canned pumpkin and was wondering if there was anything other than pumpkin in the mix like thickeners, spices etc :)

The ingredients list on my 15-ounce can of pumpkin says: pumpkin.

There is also another canned pumpkin product that is called pumpkin pie mix, which does contain spices and other ingredients. I've never purchased it because I prefer to add my own spices.

Thanx; it looks as though I can cook pumpkin in the microwave and have the eqivalent; that is good news :)

Nuthin in it but pumpkin, robynhood. I love using fresh pumpkin when I have the time to cook one and puree it, first. I think the bright orange colour is magnificent. But, when time's key, I always use Libbys.

What are you making?? I just made a pumpkin coffee cake yesterday for this morning's breakfast. mm mm good.

robynhood said:
Could someone let me know the ingredients of canned pumpkin? we have plenty fresh pumpkin but I cannot find any canned pumpkin and was wondering if there was anything other than pumpkin in the mix like thickeners, spices etc :)

The ingredient of canned pumpkin is a variety of butternut squash. What type of fresh pumpkin do you have? Unless your fresh pumpkin is a special pie type variety of pumpkin, you would do well to cook down a variety of butternut squash to replicate what is found in cans of pumpkin.

VeraBlue said:
I just made a pumpkin coffee cake yesterday for this morning's breakfast. mm mm good.

Vera, could you please post your pumpkin coffee cake recipe? I'm on my annual fall pumpkin kick and that sounds great. Thanks!:)

PA Baker said:
Vera, could you please post your pumpkin coffee cake recipe? I'm on my annual fall pumpkin kick and that sounds great. Thanks!:)

Sure, I'll do it on the cake board!

Pumpkins are a variety of squash ... which originated in the Western hemisphere ... in the US canned pumpkin will be either the smaller pie pumpkins or more than likely the larger field pumpkins. In Australia butternut squash is also known as "butternut pumpkin" - which is in line with what bethzaring said.

Perhaps the largest producer of canned pumpkin in the US is Libby - they produce two varieties ... 100% Pumpkin (which is just that, pure pumpkin puree) and Pumpkin Pie Mix (a mix of pureeed pumpkin, sugar, and spices).

What "thickens" canned pumpkin is the processing. It's basically this: the pumpkin is cubed, steamed, pressed thru a sieve (to remove fiberous material and seeds) then pureed, then "pressed" to expell excess moisture, maybe a 2nd cooking to remove more moisture, and then canned and processed.

Using fresh pumpkin- the more moisture you remove the thicker it will be.

The Nov/Dec copy of Cook's Illustrated has a good article on canned pumpkin. It indicates that the Pumpkin Pie Mix are a "recipe for a soupy and overly sweet disaster." It also indicates that Libby's and One-Pie make for excellent pies.

One year I made pumpkin pie from scratch and one using Libby's.... there were pieces of the scratch pie left, but none of Libby's :( :huh:

Back
Top Bottom