From scratch or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You don't have to can sauce. I just freeze mine.

I love making cream puff shells! I am better at pastries made on the stove than in the Kitchenaid:wacko:

jennyema said:
I love making cream puff shells! I am better at pastries made on the stove than in the Kitchenaid:wacko:

Wow Jenny... I am such a chicken to try this out even though I am tempted to at times... I just have a bad premonition, after hearing about failures by so many people... can you post your recipe with all the details and tips?:mrgreen:

For the past year or so I have been buying the jarred spaghetti sauce and doctoring it up for consumption. I think it's fine that way and only make "gravy" when I've got a weekend to kill.

The only canned veggies I buy are the French cut green beans for The Casserole and various Goya brand beans to make taco soup (altho I like using dried beans for soup - see weekend note above). Frozen for peas and fresh for carrots.

Pillsbury pie crusts have save my a$$ more times than I can mention. And fuggedabout homemade puff pastry and shells.

Choux pastry is easy to do at home (Alix..........) so I do that.

Let's remember, class, that everyone has varying amounts of time available. I am not at all ashamed of using "convenience" ingredients when I need them during the week, and savor the time I have on weekends to fiddle around with fancier stuff.

O.K. off topic a bit but looks like there are many who make different pastry doughs from scratch. Given I worked with dough from a very young age I am comfortable making most doughs (pie, pizza, challah, other breads, roti, naan etc. etc.) with the exception of puff pastry.

Can someone be so kind to share their recipe with me. Worth the effort or not I'd still like to learn it and I want a recipe that is tried and tested so I'm not googling and picking up the first I run into.

With so many pros out here I am counting on some help.

Many thanks.

urmaniac13 said:
Wow Jenny... I am such a chicken to try this out even though I am tempted to at times... I just have a bad premonition, after hearing about failures by so many people... can you post your recipe with all the details and tips?:mrgreen:

I am a so-so baker. I blame it on my oven! :mrgreen:

But for pate a choux, the dough is made in a saucepan and then piped onto a baking sheet for eclairs or cream puffs or whatever.

For some reason, I can make pretty much anything involving pate a choux -- and since it's baked, I can't blame the oven. Guess I'll start blaming the KA mixer!

Anyway, my recipe is from cooking school and is on a xerox sheet at home but it's pretty basic, and similar to this one Martha Stewart's pate a choux recipe

When I make pate a choux, I usually make eclairs filled with pastry cream and topped with chocolate. I seem to recall that I have a savory (parmesan?) recipe somewhere, too.

Anyway, try the linked recipe sometime. Pate a choux is actually very easy. ANd it's one of those recipes where the results are way more impressive than the amount of work involved.

If I can find my recipe at home and its any different or easier than Martha's, I'll post it.

Jennyema, I remember a friend of mine years ago making something with a cream puff pastry which contained onions. I can't remember now what she called them, but if I find it any time soon I will post it. The ones I've made I used the same pastry for sweet and savory. Hers were really special, though and I would like to make them myself.

urmaniac13 said:
Come on Licia, give it a try..I am not a baker, but, I can make cream puffs or eclairs..My kids will take those instead of birthday cake any day..And I know you can do it...Good heavens girl, If I can make them I know yours will be wonderfull.come on I dare ya:LOL:

kadesma:)

jennyema said:
You don't have to can sauce. I just freeze mine.

Jenny,
have you ever tried Jacques and Julia's recipe for the cream puff shells? There's uses milk instead of water..I've done both, and the reception from family is we like em both.:wacko: ..I just wanted someone elses opinnion and feelings one them. Which do you prefer?
kadesma:)

How I have had success with pumpkin pies, is I fill up the pie shell, ( which was pre baked for about 10 minutes and cooled before filling) only 1/2 way full, then let it cook for about 5 minutes.. THEN I ladel in the other 1/2 of the mixed up pie filling... this double filling ensures a better bake, and eliminates curdling and seperation (Also before baking.. I let the filling without the eggs, rest for an hour so that the pumpkin is totally absorbed into the liquid mixture. then add the eggs. ) try this with butternut squash, Oh my gosh is it good!

Jenny said:
recently for me, yogurt. I love plain yogurt without the fruit and extra sugar. I saw an episode of Martha where she made it homemade. It looked so easy so I gave it a shot. Ok, disaster! It never set up. I tried twice. Since what I really prefer is Greek style yogurt, I just buy the organic stuff from a whole foods market. Now, if anyone can tell me how to pull off this homemade yogurt business without having to buy another machine, I am ALL EARS!!! Until then....just easier to buy it made!
I tried Greek style yogurt, I got strainer and some cheesecloth. But I forgot about it for a few days, and so it seemed a bit more sour to me than when I've bought it (in Iran).
But if you strain it for less time and don't leave it sitting in its water I'm sure it'd be fine. But if store bought isn't a problem, then stick with it.

I use canned pumpkin, but not with the seasonings. I have to alter it either way. Allspice, nutmeg, and vanilla are my best friends, and they never seem to have enough.

Ok you guys have really got me stirred up now!

I've never tasted a commercial pasta sauce I liked and I refuse to buy them anymore, they all contain sugar...ick! I can make my own in about 30 minutes so I see no reason to. DH occasionally fouls up my pantry with a jar of Preggo or Ragu and it resides there until I travel somewhere without him and he uses the stuff.

I finally realized the reason we never eat canned beans is that I really don't care for the taste of those - love beans though - but they take so long on the stove top and then there's that pre-soaking thing that I never think to do beforehand so now that I have a Pressure Cooker I will happily go to bean heaven (though friends and family may not consider it that).

I watched someon make puff pastry from scratch and I don't think there's any way I would do that but I love puff pastry. I'm sure home-made is better than the frozen sheets I get - I'm thinking about trying to purchase it at a local Bakery.

For some things frozen spinach works much better than fresh but for just plain wilted spinach...yum yum yum fresh is best.

Canned pumpkin is just dandy with me - but pie crust - homemade is soooo much better. Not as pretty most times but homier. Besides you have all those yummy scraps to play with!

Canned soups to eat? - only in a major pinch - I've gotta be pretty darned sick to be unable to cook anything! I do cook with them but I know they're loaded with sodium. Some things that "Mama used to do" just aren't the same for DH.

On this I know I'm just plain ignorant. I love Mac and Cheese out of the box! I never experienced home made as a kid so the boxed ones just take me back to childhood! I'd love to be better educated there, though.

And here's a real shame - I love Swanson's Pot Pies. DH is enamored of Pepperidge Farms. I've never managed to make one from scratch that tasted as good. But I'm still trying! Must be double crust! This is a cry for help!

:chef: 2

Hey, Lindatooo, I have an incredible double crust chicken pot pie recipe that my whole family loves. It's in Southern living cookbook...I'll grab it and post it for you:chef:

ok, it's long but here goes...It's in The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook page 338
Double-Crust Chicken Pot Pie
6 skinned boned breast halves cut into 1 inch pieces
1 med onion chopped
2 T butter melted
1 stalk celery chopped
1 1/2 c frozen english peas and carrots (I use fresh chopped carrots)
1 c sliced fresh mushrooms (I leave out the shrooms)
1 c peeled chopped potato
1 c chicken broth
1/4 c dry white wine (not cooking wine, unless it's all you have)
1/2 t dried parsley flakes ( I use chopped fresh)
1/4 t fresh ground pepper
1 bay leaf
2 T cornstarch
2 T water
1 can cream of mushroom soup undiluted (sorry about the can soup!!)
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 sour cream
Pot pie pastry w/1 egg yolk and 1 T milk for brushing the pastry

1. Cook chicken and onion in butter in a large skillet over med high heat, stirring constantly til chicken browned and onion tender. stir in celery and next 8 ingredients. bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 min til veggies are tender. discard bay leaf.
2. Combine cornstarch and 2 T water, stirring til smooth. add to chicken mix. bring to a boil over med heat, stirring constantly. remove from heat, stir in soup, cheese and sour cream.
3. Roll half of pastry to 1/8 inch thickness. fit pastry into ungreased 2 quart casserole. spoon chicken mixture into casserole. roll remaining pastry and place over top of mixture. trim, seal and crimp edges. cut slits in pastry. combine milk and egg yolk and brush over pastry.
4. bake at 400 for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Potpie pastry: 3 c all-purp flour, 1 t salt, 1 c shortening, cold water. combine flour and salt, cut in shortening w/pastry blender until mix is crumbly. sprinkle cold water 1 T at a time, stir w/a fork until dry ingredients are moistened. shape into a ball and chill.

Hope you enjoy!

oh my goodness, this look soooooooooo good! copy and pasting this one to! Thank you for sharing Jenny!

canned pumpkin all the way... I like alot of frozen veggies, like okra,and I would also have to say canned tomatoes, ans spaghetti sauce as well for me...

Back
Top Bottom