What is a turkey loaf? (store bought, not a meatloaf)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KateH21

Assistant Cook
Festive/Jenni-O used to sell turkey loaves which they discontinued in 2021.
What exactly is a turkey loaf? I want one, can't find one, and want to know if it's possible to make one. It's not a meatloaf, there's no tomato products in it. It looks like it's mostly turkey and seasoning.

Is it processed turkey? Kinda like Spam?

Here's the ingredients:
Turkey Roast: White Turkey, Containing Up to 30% of a Solution of Turkey Broth, Modified Food Starch, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphate, Flavoring. Gravy: Water Seasoning (Modified Food Starch, Sweet Whey Solids (Milk), Corn Starch, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Salt, Caramel Color, Calcium Caseinate (Milk), Onion Powder, Paprika, Xanthan Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Flavoring).

I'm not a fan of traditional Thanksgiving turkey or turkey breast. I prefer ham but it's too expensive. I love turkey loaves, and would like to be able to buy or make something just as tasty. I'm thinking I could probably make something out of ground turkey, but I don't know. The turkey loaf looks like it's just turkey and gravy, so I don't know how I would make anything similar with ground turkey.

I would love to have suggestions. There's only three of us for Thanksgiving so these little turkey loaves were always perfect.

<There's only three of us for Thanksgiving so these little turkey loaves were always perfect.>

Hmmm...so you have had them! What did you think it was? Was it like ground meat or not? Maybe more like pressed meat?

How about just buying a "turkey breast roast"? Most grocers carry them. With or without marinade. I grab them when they are on sale and freeze what I won't use right away. Our stores usually have them near the marinated "pork loin roasts"...so I have to read labels to see what is what.

And then there are those "Butterball" Roasts too: turkey roasts...but I guess all of these are what you do not like? I'm telling you, the marinated ones are quite different!

If you want a turkey meatloaf, there are lots of recipes for them. Not all of them use tomato products in them.

All that said, there's no reason you have to have turkey at Thanksgiving! I promise, the Thanksgiving police will not come knocking at the door! ;)

Yeah, it's an ultra processed food. Basically they make a solution in large vats they would call a formula that is then compressed into whatever shape that's desired, cooked and vacuum packed. This would be impossible to duplicate at home and considering you don't like traditional turkey I suspect you should be able to find a loaf from a different manufacturer. :)

Yeah, it's an ultra processed food. Basically they make a solution in large vats they would call a formula that is then compressed into whatever shape that's desired, cooked and vacuum packed. This would be impossible to duplicate at home and considering you don't like traditional turkey I suspect you should be able to find a loaf from a different manufacturer. :)
I did a Duck-Duck-Go search and found that Walmart should have their own brand and my local Safeway says I can order the "Festive Turkey Loaf" for pickup or delivery.

You should also consider getting a small turkey breast and roasting that.
It's a lot less processed than the loaf. What you don't eat on Thanksgiving, you can have the rest in sandwiches etc. Also, you can make stock for soup from the bones.

You could make an inexpensive turkey meatloaf with traditional thanksgiving seasonings.

or skip the turkey and make stuffed pork chops or a Pepperidge Farms inspired casserole with BSCB, stuffing, and gravy.

You could make an inexpensive turkey meatloaf with traditional thanksgiving seasonings.

or skip the turkey and make stuffed pork chops or a Pepperidge Farms inspired casserole with BSCB, stuffing, and gravy.

Thanks! These are exactly the types of recipes I was looking for. Perfect! Thank you so much.

206_750x750_Front_Color-NA.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom