My oven crapped out, looking for a new one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Last week I instructed my wife on how to make baked potatoes , cause I was at work, and we want them to be about done when I got home ( late night so didnt have time to cook them myself).

When I got home, I asked what the status was on the potatoes. She saiid she hadn't checked their internal temperature yet , and asked if I could take over ( as she hates cooking). I saw the oven was set at 450F, but when I opened it, said to myself ( and out loud) " This isn't 450F. Usually I get this in the face with a wall of heat at that temp, and its was bearable. I checked the internal temps and it was at about 150F ( needed to be at 205F). The potatoes were in for about 45 - 50 minutes already, and she had preheated the oven.

At this point, it was too late cause by the time they would be done, it would be a midnight snack.
We abandoned the potatoes, and I chalked it off as maybe she hit some other button on the oven (or whatever). These days, using an appliance is like flying the space shuttle, so many buttons and options.

Fast forward to 2 days ago, I preheated the oven , went to put the baked ziti in ( at 400F). Once again, didnt get hit with that wall of heat. I knew something was wrong. The lower coil wasnt lighting up. I was able to finish the ziti on broil, since the upper coil was working, but I knew it was time for new oven ( it has other issues too, this was the nail in the coffin).

Last night was researching ovens and came across the following Features:
- Air Frying Component
- Standard Convection vs True European Convection
- Wifi/ Smart Features

Brand Names:
- Frigidaire
- LG
- GE
- Whirlpool
- Maytag
- Samsung

My question is, are any of the above features worth paying extra for?
Which brands, in your experience has a good reputation ?

Im not a huge baker, I don't broil roasts. But when you need an oven, you need an oven. For all you people whop use your ovens more than I normally do, Im curious what your thoughts are. I have no problems paying extra for features if they're worth it, but I dont need all the bells and whistles if its just some gimmicky thing that sounds better than it is.

I didnt know new ovens had air frying abilities.
I just looked up the difference between the standard and European convection.
Wifi. smart features , just curious on the benefits of those

I have heard only bad things about LG. I have a GE that's 24 YO, no frills. I'd bet several of the other brands are all made by the same manufacturer. There's a lot of that in the appliance industry these days.

Air Frying is just enhanced convection.

If you don't do a lot with your oven, the "extras" are probably not worth it.

If it was just the lower coil that was an issue, I'd suggest replacing it, however with "other issues" your decision will make you happiest.

I was fantasizing about a new range recently and decided I like the "slide-in" style with all the controls in front. Another factor for me is the self-cleaning type. I have one that uses the high heat method and love it. No dirt survives it. I know it's not in favor these days but it works like a champ.

Good Luck.

My 23 year old oven is a basic Kenmore. No special features, other than a self-clean setting. I prefer to keep it simple, although I would like to have a probe to display food temperature on the display panel of the oven.

Wifi worries me since tech companies love to upgrade apps and phones and tablets, making the version you have obsolete in five years (or less). I just have a sneaky suspicion the oven app won't work in a few years... unless you spend a bunch of money upgrading everything.

I don't want an air fryer, especially in my main oven. That seems like a cleaning headache. But, I'd be okay with a convection capability.

Kenmore was made by Whirlpool, and I've seen the brand in Lowe's, who also carries Craftsman Tools now that sears is dead.

My sister has all GE Profile appliances, and her oven is terrible. It takes 30 minutes to preheat, and the thermostat is off by about ten degrees. Her matching dishwasher just cost her a $400 repair, and still doesn't work right. I do have a GE refrigerator that I like, but it is only about three years old.

My washer and dryer are Whirlpool Duet. I'm happy with them.

CD

I have heard only bad things about LG. I have a GE that's 24 YO, no frills. I'd bet several of the other brands are all made by the same manufacturer. There's a lot of that in the appliance industry these days.

Air Frying is just enhanced convection.

If you don't do a lot with your oven, the "extras" are probably not worth it.

If it was just the lower coil that was an issue, I'd suggest replacing it, however with "other issues" your decision will make you happiest.

I was fantasizing about a new range recently and decided I like the "slide-in" style with all the controls in front. Another factor for me is the self-cleaning type. I have one that uses the high heat method and love it. No dirt survives it. I know it's not in favor these days but it works like a champ.

Good Luck.

Same here for LG. They have a lot of frills, but lots of problems. I've heard Maytag has gone downhill, too.

Bosch and KitchenAid are good brands, but on the expensive end.

Larry, do you have a separate oven and cooktop, or a one-piece range?

CD

Last edited:
I have a GE no frills as well. I'm a fan of gas ovens and stoves so we picked the least complicated one with the least things that can go wrong. I've replaced the igniter on it. If anything goes wrong on it I'll get another no frills gas oven/stove but not sure about brands.

I can't seem to log into my Consumer Reports account right now. The site says "try again later." So I will.

CD

Same here for LG. They have a lot of frills, but lots of problems. I've heard Maytag has gone downhill, too.

Bosch and KitchenAid are good brands, but on the expensive end.

Larry, do you have a separate oven and cooktop, or a one-piece range?

CD
They are separate
Of course our stove top crapped out during covid and no one was allowed to go anywhere, along with not wanting people in my house, as my wife was very high risk.

And as luck would have it, everything appliance we have had has always broken a year or two after the warranty was up.
The dryer broke, we fixed I once, but the second time we just got a new one. The service call + the parts + the labor cost half as much as it would to get a new one.

We have had an LG for almost 3 years now, not a single problem. It's got a smooth top, a 3 tier burner and a 2 tier power burner, plus 2 smaller burners and a warmer burner. It's a standard convection oven, has a proofing cycle, and has timed bake, though I've never used that. It's got a high heat clean cycle and a lower heat/steam cycle.

I will admit the oven insulation is lacking but that's the only downside I've found.

Regarding WiFi, the new Tovala oven has WiFi, and you can set up a cooking cycle (time and temp) but you still have to get up and hit the start button, so be aware of that. You can monitor time remaining and it will alert you when food is done.

I know having to get up and hit the start button sounds lazy, but to me if you can do everything else, why can't start button be controlled via WiFi. Like today, I made our dinner and finished putting it together a few minutes ago, but it needs to bake for a while. I don't want to do that just yet, but it sure would be nice not to have to get up again for a while cause my back hurts.

I'm skeptical of WiFi with appliances. I hadn't even considered that they might mess with it with updates. One of the problems with WiFi for appliances is that they often don't have decent security. They can easily be hacked. That may sound laughable. "I'm not worried that the neighbours will reprogram my supper." But, the problem is that the appliance is using your WiFi. That means that it is an entry to your home network for malicious actors.

My concern would be the infamous Tues. morning crashes from the automatic Mon. night updates. Infamous in that they often crashed your computer making it do weird things - how about it it raised the temp on your once a year splurge for the $50.00 family/Sunday roast which is now good for the chain saw.

I'm skeptical of WiFi with appliances. I hadn't even considered that they might mess with it with updates. One of the problems with WiFi for appliances is that they often don't have decent security. They can easily be hacked. That may sound laughable. "I'm not worried that the neighbours will reprogram my supper." But, the problem is that the appliance is using your WiFi. That means that it is an entry to your home network for malicious actors.
If you have good security on your network, the appliance being on the network doesn't make it less secure.

As a general rule, I've found that the simpler an appliance is, the longer it lasts. Our cook top and our dual wall oven are about 26 years old, and still function like new. The larger oven's broiler element went out, but my husband found a supplier and replaced it himself (it just basically plugged in.) Both are Maytag.
I'd skip the added features and get the simplest oven you can, or just replace the bottom element if that would be feasible.

If you have good security on your network, the appliance being on the network doesn't make it less secure.
Yes, that.

As for updates, I doubt they will be frequent, if at all. We've had the Tovala for 2-3 months now, and not 1 yet.

Last edited:
Well, I can give you 4 times it happened to me. One of them was within 3 days of the warranty expiring. The next time it was the same part on the same oven that was then no longer covered (Maytag, Jenn-Air, Whirlpool, Kitchen-Aid) all owned and covered by the same warranty.
Then 2 others but not the same companies. All crapped out after the warranty.
Those were all stoves (and not cheap ones either)

And once with my laptop which crapped out 2 days before the warranty was up - talk about lucky on that one!

According to my husband (professional computer geek with a special interest in security), if your network is on a Windows machine, Windows allows devices to ask for a hole in the firewall and get one. It's so that plug-and-play can work.

And good security on your network is a moving target.

If anyone is interested in finding out how secure various connected devices are, Mozilla has a website that gives loads of info about specific brands and devices, obviously not everything, but lots. E.g., how creepy is that fitness tracker?

Well, I can give you 4 times it happened to me. One of them was within 3 days of the warranty expiring. The next time it was the same part on the same oven that was then no longer covered (Maytag, Jenn-Air, Whirlpool, Kitchen-Aid) all owned and covered by the same warranty.
Then 2 others but not the same companies. All crapped out after the warranty.
Those were all stoves (and not cheap ones either)

And once with my laptop which crapped out 2 days before the warranty was up - talk about lucky on that one!
The general thoughts in society are....if you buy a cheap 'thing', it should break down, have few expectations. Your post goes to show, buy a bigger brand name and the same can happen.

And when we buy appliances with extras, refrigerators with ice makers, like convection and oven, microwave convection, wifi plus appliance, when one thing craps out, is it worth fixing? Is it required fixing to keep it, or do we replace it?

Can we depend on any brand?

I'm sorry all these broke down! It's terrible.

Back
Top Bottom