Beef eye round in dutch oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh ok, good to know, I just try to avoid opening the pot to avoid temperature and moisture loss, will check it after 3 hours then, thank you

I might suggest that after your first 3 hours, when you check it, you might do as msmofet. Turn it over each time you check. Your Dutch Oven seems (to me) a bit on the shallow side. By turning it even out the moisture spread and temperature.

But it will still be delish no matter what. Let us know.

Aplogies for taking so long to reply. So... the dutch oven is oval and the dimensions in cm are 36cm wide by 29cm wide x 15cm high (14inx 11in x 6in) . In this photo you can see where the liquid reached after 2 hours of cooking (when I added the potatoes).
I decided to take all your advice and we will be hosting this weekend so I will be making a roast for 8 persons so I bought a 3.6kg (8lb) angus chuck.
I was thinking of cooking it for 5 hours at 150C (300F). Do you think that sounds about right?
Hmm, to me that looks like the liquid is about an inch to 3 cm deep. I would consider that braising rather than pot roasting. Others may have a different opinion.

When making a pot roast, it is generally recommended the the meat be ½ - ⅔ submerged in the liquid.

Some people consider braising as pot roasting, especially when using large pieces of meat. But basically they are both the same.
taxy, that is amazing you can see depth when the picture is directly overhead and not from the side. With no side markings on the pot to measure.
Andy, I just barely had 1/2 way up the pot roast. If I needed more to serve for the gravy, I would add the broth after.

Some people consider braising as pot roasting, especially when using large pieces of meat. But basically they are both the same.
taxy, that is amazing you can see depth when the picture is directly overhead and not from the side. With no side markings on the pot to measure.
Andy, I just barely had 1/2 way up the pot roast. If I needed more to serve for the gravy, I would add the broth after.
I was guessing based on the width and height measurements of the pot as well as how much liquid was over the veggies and the other photo of the cooked meat.

I know it's been over a week, but something about this thread got my brain to percolating, and I did some research.

Turns out you can cook a bottom round roast in a slow cooker, and the result is said to be moist and tender. You season it (2 pounds-ish) generously with kosher salt and pepper and whatever else takes your fancy; you poke it to generate holes large enough for garlic cloves and you stuff them in there; you sear the outsides in a hot skillet, and you cook it on the low setting for four hours in a few cups of beef broth, flipping it over halfway. Maybe poke the holes/add the garlic after searing. Not sure.

Sounds quite easy. Has anyone here tried this?

I have - a small tiny roast for my slow cooker. No reason you can't do a larger one.
Yeah, I sear it all over, poke holes for garlic, place on top of some potatoes, carrots, (I throw a bunch of frozen pearl onions in), cook for several hours on low. I do not turn it over. Original recipe called for 1 ccup of broth, but I have lowered it to 1/2 cup. very tasty.

I know it's been over a week, but something about this thread got my brain to percolating, and I did some research.

Turns out you can cook a bottom round roast in a slow cooker, and the result is said to be moist and tender. You season it (2 pounds-ish) generously with kosher salt and pepper and whatever else takes your fancy; you poke it to generate holes large enough for garlic cloves and you stuff them in there; you sear the outsides in a hot skillet, and you cook it on the low setting for four hours in a few cups of beef broth, flipping it over halfway. Maybe poke the holes/add the garlic after searing. Not sure.

Sounds quite easy. Has anyone here tried this?
Round never works for me as a pot roast. it dries out too fast. Just because meat is cooked in liquid doesn’t mean it won’t dry out.

i do make rouladen with round, though. Cut very thin.

multiple things get 'eye met' to the topic.
first, there's a language use issue. commonly anything done in a pot, with or without a lid, on a cooktop on in an oven , , , is tagged in German as "roasting"
as the OP described and pix'ed, it's braising issue.

that aside, as many have mentioned.... eye round is a very lean cut, does not take to high temperatures - roasted, braised, baked . . . - regardless.
as some other cuts...

that said, a family heirloom dish uses top or bottom round, double braised*, to make a shredded beef dish - which with gravy over mashed potatoes is a comfort food.
(*) double braised = first slow braise to raise internal temp to ~200'F; cooled, in the fridge over night; second very very slow braise to ~160'F. the initial temp is required to break down the connective tissues, the second braise makes it fall apart.
so . . . technique counts....
DSC_4837.JPG

. . . (*) double braised = first slow braise to raise internal temp to ~200'F; cooled, in the fridge over night; second very very slow braise to ~160'F. the initial temp is required to break down the connective tissues, the second braise makes it fall apart.
so . . . technique counts...

The first braise, raising the temp of the beef to 200ºF is will break down the connective tissue which allows the meat to fall apart. The second temp of 160ºF reheats it so it's at serving temperature.

The first braise, raising the temp of the beef to 200ºF is will break down the connective tissue which allows the meat to fall apart. The second temp of 160ºF reheats it so it's at serving temperature.
in my multi-decade experience of cooking this dish, unless it is refrigerated, it does not 'fall apart' the same . . . i.e. one single long braise does not work like braise-cool-reheat.

in my multi-decade experience of cooking this dish, unless it is refrigerated, it does not 'fall apart' the same . . . i.e. one single long braise does not work like braise-cool-reheat.
Although I've never done the cook, cool, re-cook process, I've always been OK with the way my meat falls apart.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom