The Dutch food thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xocolatl

Senior Cook
Dutch-foods-to-try-1-1160x870.jpg

I decided to make a thread about Dutch food, because internationally there are so many misconceptions about it.
Supposedly our food is bland, repetitive and uninteresting. Talking about Dutch food usually conjures up images of cheese, potatoes, sad vegetables and mashed potatoes. Maybe if we're lucky someone will think positively about Stroopwafels or the aformentioned cheese ( stroopwafels are Dutch syrup cookies).

But there really IS much more to Dutch cooking, and it's not all bland at all. When you look further back into history, it certainly is no longer bland.
Remember the VOC (Dutch east Indian trading company) etc? We were not known for our spice trade for no reason, back in the day spices were very important to Dutch cooking.
What also should speak for us and our food, is that we're one of the largest food exporting countries in the world. Let that sink in! Almost everyone has eaten some Dutch food before, they just probably didn't know it was Dutch. If it was truly so bad, why does everyone want our stuff?

So why do we have the reputation that we have bland food?
Well, first and foremost reason is the rise of Calvinism. A religious protestant sub group, that condemns anything decadent as sinful. It preaches sobriety and minimalism, and spices were considered a decadent form of waste as back in the day spices were expensive and considered a luxury. And you don't NEED spices to eat food, according to the Calvinist mindset. A saying from that era reads 'Zuivel op zuivel is het werk van de Duivel' (dairy on dairy is the work of the devil) referring to a sandwich with cheese AND butter. That was already considered too indulgent by the Calvinists. They gave rise to the culture of minimalism when it comes to food that is still prevalent in Dutch conservative circles. That is why the cheese sandwich is still our most common lunch meal.

What also played a role is the Huishoudschool (household school) that was created in the 19th century to teach middle class and higher class ladies how to run a household. These women used to have staff, but as staff became rare and expensive they had to learn how to cook for themselves. At the time, Calvinism was prevalent and thus the ladies were told to cook without spices. As responsible wives, they should not waste their husbands money on pleasures like spices and alcohol. At that time it was also commonly believed that food was healthier if it was cooked longer, hence the reputation of Dutch mothers boiling vegetables to mush.
Unfortunately, the household schools lasted until the 60's, which is why Dutch mothers are still seen cooking this way to this day. It's only from the 70's onward, that women were starting to learn to cook differently.
Plus, after the second world war the resources in the Netherlands remained scarse until about 1960, so there wasn't much room for spicing up your food or making it interesting. All this led to a perfect storm of bland food in our culture.
But it wasn't always like that.

The goal of this thread is to delve back in time, and show what Dutch food is good and great . I will post recipes, photos and history tidbits, so you might change your mind about how bland and boring we Dutch really are!
And if you have a contribution, please post about it. It will be fun to watch this thread grow!

Xocolati, please it would be nice if, when posting a full recipe, start a new thread under the appropriate section. Such as Cookies in the Baking section. Roasts in the Meats and then the subtitle such as Beef or Pork, etc.
In this manner we will be able to find the recipe quickly without having to scour through what looks like is going to be a fascinating thread.

Xocolati, please it would be nice if, when posting a full recipe, start a new thread under the appropriate section. Such as Cookies in the Baking section. Roasts in the Meats and then the subtitle such as Beef or Pork, etc.
In this manner we will be able to find the recipe quickly without having to scour through what looks like is going to be a fascinating thread.
Sure,this thread is mostly meant as an information only thread though. Recipes will be posted seperately if I want to post any.

I would like to read the Wikipedia links with further details, can they be put back?

I think in many countries in Europe butter on sandwiches is common but less so in the US. Mayonnaise and/or mustard are more popular. Interesting that the Calvanists found it sinful.

I never had any preconceived notions about Dutch food other than how much I love the cheese! I didn't know it had a reputation of being bland.

We have lost track of the origin of some traditional Dutch recipes that have been with us since colonial times.

One of those foods is Erwtensoep, Snert, or split pea soup.

Last edited:
We have lost track of the origin of some traditional Dutch recipes that been with us since colonial times.

There aren't any Dutch ancestors in my family to my knowledge, but I've been eating this soup for decades, minus the cloves. Delicious!

There aren't any Dutch ancestors in my family to my knowledge, but I've been eating this soup for decades, minus the cloves. Delicious!
Try it with the cloves!

If you don’t want to risk a whole pot of soup put a couple whole cloves into an individual serving and heat it in the microwave.

I add whole cloves to fresh stewed tomatoes this time of year with a bit of sugar and a pat of butter. 🐷🐷🐷

Try it with the cloves!

If you don’t want to risk a whole pot of soup put a couple whole cloves into an individual serving and heat it in the microwave.

I add whole cloves to fresh stewed tomatoes this time of year with a bit of sugar and a pat of butter. 🐷🐷🐷
I don't like cloves. Probably one of the reasons I don't like pumpkin pie and a lot of other foods...

We have lost track of the origin of some traditional Dutch recipes that have been with us since colonial times.

Yes, that is probably one of the most Dutch dishes there is. Once upon a time before potatoes were brought to Europe, Dutch people mainly ate bread and grains, dairy, beans, peas, carrots,meat and fish. If you were poor your diet often consisted of not much more than bread and grains, beans, some dairy and vegetables.

I'm with you Jusa, I can't say I've ever had any pre-conceived notions about Dutch food. But I lived in Germany and Switzerland for a bit and I loved the German food. As their languages are similar perhaps I assumed the foods were also.

As for butter - I butter ALL my breads, I intensely dislike mayo or jams directly on my bread/toast. yechh..

I'm with you Jusa, I can't say I've ever had any pre-conceived notions about Dutch food. But I lived in Germany and Switzerland for a bit and I loved the German food. As their languages are similar perhaps I assumed the foods were also.

As for butter - I butter ALL my breads, I intensely dislike mayo or jams directly on my bread/toast. yechh..
I am not surprised, a lot of other countries people butter their sandwiches, and there are people who put butter AND mayonnaise on the sandwich. I butter bread/toast other than for sandwiches. I don't like peanut butter or jam much and rarely use it.

I've never lived in Europe (I lived in Japan for a few years) so I just don't have any preconceived notions about any foods in countries over there. I have been to Canada and Mexico multiple times and always enjoyed the food.

I butter my bread when I am having a cheese sandwich. My DH doesn't I am Danish enough that I have a lot of my sandwiches "open-faced". If I don't put butter, won't the cheese fall off? Besides, it tastes good. On a traditional Danish smørrebrød (open-faced sandwich), they will often butter the bread and use some mayonnaise decoratively. I don't usually use butter and mayo in the same sandwich. I also have another quirk. I don't want the mayo to touch the cheese. So, if I am having a ham and cheese sandwich, the ham goes next to the bread and if it's a regular, two slices of bread sandwich, there will be lettuce between the cheese and the mayo on the second piece of bread.

When I think of Dutch cuisine, I think of cheese and I think of rijsttafel and other Indonesian influences. I assume there will be lots of potatoes, pork, cream, cheese, herring, other fish, and cabbage, like in other Germanic cultures.

Danish seems to have the same reputation. I don't understand why. But I think those reputations are mostly in Europe.
Yes, Danish, The UK, and the Dutch are all renown for having 'bland' cuisines. The Dutch reputation as such was mostly established after the second world war, when resources were scarce. Same goes for the UK.

It might not be known to everyone, but as a Dutch national I follow several groups of expats and internationals and also several forums on these topics (this because I am bilingual and have lived in the UK) and almost by clockwork weekly someone will complain about the lack of Dutch food culture. This is why I started this thread, it's just a frequent complaint.
There is some truth to it, which I explained in the OP and will in more elaborate pieces, but there are also many hidden gems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom