The Dutch food thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isn't hazepeper German by origin?

We didn't really have a "fixed" christmas meal.
Although smoked salmon was ofter there as a starter.
Main course mainly rollade or steak with whatever.
Boxing day was more traditional with left over smoked salmon on toast and erwtensoep as main course (with ketjap & chili's added)

Looking forward to more of your posts!

Yeah definitely love mussels too :) I did wonder about the lack of Dutch main meals presented aside from the mussels though, there are a few Christmas classics like Hazenpeper (hare in pepper sauce) which I never see mentioned outside of our own country while that is our actual traditional Christmas food.
Not many people know how to prepare it anymore, so I guess that's why people like Nigella don't get introduced to it, but it's a shame because many people don't think we have anything special to offer for that reason.
(PS. sent you an e-mail)
The chicken biryani looks good. I know it's more Indian/Indonesian than Dutch, but still.

I emailed you back!

Last edited:
Isn't hazepeper German by origin?

We didn't really have a "fixed" christmas meal.
Although smoked salmon was ofter there as a starter.
Main course mainly rollade or steak with whatever.
Boxing day was more traditional with left over smoked salmon on toast and erwtensoep as main course (with ketjap & chili's added)

Looking forward to more of your posts!
Thank you :)

Hazenpeper is native to both cuisines. That's like arguing whether Christmas Turkey is British or American by origin, or if Greek Baklava is the original version or Turkish Baklava. If we're going to talk about origins, a lot of cuisines suddenly lose their 'own' dishes anyway. But Hazenpeper is as Dutch as it is German.

Most people of Dutch heritage I know either go table grilling (called Gourmetten here) or they serve a big piece of meat like indeed Rollade (roast beef or pork with a filling) or more affluent people will often serve game like deer or pheasant.

What is Dutch table grilling? (Gourmetten)

The chicken biryani looks good. I know it's more Indian/Indonesian than Dutch, but still.
Yeah I don't mind the reference to our Indonesian heritage but was a little dissapointed she didn't seem to realise there are also truly classic Dutch dishes like hazenpeper.
As an Indo I do feel represented at the same time though, lol :LOL:

Most people of Dutch heritage I know either go table grilling (called Gourmetten here) or they serve a big piece of meat like indeed Rollade (roast beef or pork with a filling) or more affluent people will often serve game like deer or pheasant.

What is Dutch table grilling? (Gourmetten)
I'm all over that idea. Sounds fun!

We got the idea from the Japanese actually. During the trade embargo when the Dutch were the only ones who traded with Japan, they discovered Teppanyaki and thus 'gourmetten' was born. It's more popular than any other Christmas party here.
Now, you see, that’s really interesting! I love food anthology!

We got the idea from the Japanese actually. During the trade embargo when the Dutch were the only ones who traded with Japan, they discovered Teppanyaki and thus 'gourmetten' was born. It's more popular than any other Christmas party here.
Totally agree.
My brother and his family will be "gourmetting" on Christmas day.
I think one of the appeals is that you are actually doing something and can eat what you want and it is "gezellig".

(and even though the idea is not Indoneasian, I'm sure the sambal and ketjap will be present on the table :) )

Hazenpeper is native to both cuisines. That's like arguing whether Christmas Turkey is British or American by origin or if Greek Baklava is the original version or Turkish Baklava.
Not exactly. Turkey the bird is native to the Americas, so it wasn't available in Britain until the 16th century at the earliest. Baklava in some form probably goes back millennia.

Wasn't turkey associated more with Thanksgiving here first? Before Christmas? Wasn't a goose more traditional on both sides of the pond for Christmas, at least for a while? Until the turkey became really commercialized?

This is from one of my favorite sources on food history:
Food historians tell us the practice of serving large, stuffed fowl for Christmas, like many other Christian holiday food traditions, was borrowed from earlier cultural practices. Peacocks, swans, geese and turkeys all fit this bill. The larger the bird, the more festive the presence. "New World" turkeys were introduced to Europe in the 16th century. For many years, these "exotic" turkey birds only graced the tables of the wealthy. Working-class English Victorian families, like the Cratchits in Charles Dickens' Christmas Carol, belonged to Goose Clubs. In America, turkey (wild and plentiful) was a natural choice for the Christmas feast. Our survey of historic newspapers reveals the goose still commanded a traditional place on the Christmas table through the 19th century. Some traditions have serious staying power.

This is from one of my favorite sources on food history:

Neato. So, since the Spanish brought back turkeys from the Aztecs, I believe those would have been already domesticated turkeys, since they were domesticated about 2,000 years ago.

I also read about geese and Martinmas. I didn't realize that was celebrated outside of Denmark (well, duh). In Denmark it's called "Mortensaften" and is traditionally celebrated with goose. But nowadays, far more Danes celebrate with duck, since that is a more appropriate size for the average Danish family, than goose. I like the explanation that it comes from an old, pre-Xtian, harvest festival.

I have bookmarked that site. It looks nifty.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom