The Dutch food thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pickled Lamb's Tongue, Pickled Herring and Chocolate Sprinkles are 3 things I associate with German/Dutch foods.
The first two I cannot fathom but my dad and mom loved them. I, of course, loved having Chocolate Sprinkles on my toast.💕

Pickled Lamb's Tongue became hard to find in Ontario near my parents but were still popular in Quebec. Had to bring some every time I came home for a visit. Then they disappeared from the markets near me. It's funny, even though both my parents are gone, I still look for it in the stores.

Pickled Lamb's Tongue, Pickled Herring and Chocolate Sprinkles are 3 things I associate with German/Dutch foods.
The first two I cannot fathom but my dad and mom loved them. I, of course, loved having Chocolate Sprinkles on my toast.💕

Pickled Lamb's Tongue became hard to find in Ontario near my parents but were still popular in Quebec. Had to bring some every time I came home for a visit. Then they disappeared from the markets near me. It's funny, even though both my parents are gone, I still look for it in the stores.
Pickled herring and pickled lambs tongue are German. Chocolate sprinkles are Dutch.

The Dutch are known for herring, but it's fresh herring served sashimi style ( raw) with pickles and or a soft bun.

Gourmetten sounds like a fun tradition.

It reminds me of the fondue parties that were popular in the 70s.

I would be a little concerned over the combination of fire and a boisterous group after a few drinks. 🤭

We could probably duplicate it as a backyard party with a small hibachi grill.

1692884456255.jpeg

Pickled herring and pickled lambs tongue are German. Chocolate sprinkles are Dutch.

The Dutch are known for herring, but it's fresh herring served sashimi style ( raw) with pickles and or a soft bun.
Or just grab it by the tail, bend your head back and just eat it standing up.
Still my favourite way

Interesting subject. I will admit that I know little of Dutch cuisine apart from all the stereotypes.
But, to me, the whole stereotyping of a nation’s cuisine doesn’t make any sense.’
The UK is considered a land of low quality, budget food and poor cookery.
And yet there are many wonderful chefs doing great things, and a very high number of restaurants and takeout places with impressive food.
Likewise the US - normally denigrated for being tasteless, fatty rubbish and that everyone eats.
But it really doesn’t take much to find really good and interesting “modern American.

Here's the first Dutch recipe I would like to share with you all:

Boterkoek.jpg

Just finding my way around, don’t care so much for tongue, love sprinkles, but really what caught my 👁️, was Xocolatl from Netherlands and Dutch food. Anyway, I have found my way. G’ Night from Phoenix, Pumpy Elise

Just finding my way around, don’t care so much for tongue, love sprinkles, but really what caught my 👁️, was Xocolatl from Netherlands and Dutch food. Anyway, I have found my way. G’ Night from Phoenix, Pumpy Elise
Lambs tongue is not a Dutch food as I explained above. Also the Dutch eat fresh herring not pickled. Dutch Herring is served sashimi style with onions.

Another Dutch classic: apple pie. Here's my family recipe, one that's slightly healthier and more associated with the Southern regions of the Netherlands.
In the North we have 'taart' (tarts or layered cakes) and in the South 'vlaai' (pie)made with pastry filled with fruit and with a decorated shiny top layer. But there are also crumble 'vlaais' which are pies with a pastry bottom and a crumble top.
Vlaai is a somewhat unique pie with fillings you find only in the Netherlands. The most popular flavors are cherry (which is somewhat similar to American cherry pie), apricot, rice pudding, and apple crumble.
My family recipe has a crumble bottom and top, which makes it unique and not something you can buy in stores.
Appelkruimeltaart.jpg

Another Dutch classic: apple pie. Here's my family recipe, one that's slightly healthier and more associated with the Southern regions of the Netherlands.
In the North we have 'taart' (tarts or layered cakes) and in the South 'vlaai' (pie)made with pastry filled with fruit and with a decorated shiny top layer. But there are also crumble 'vlaais' which are pies with a pastry bottom and a crumble top.
Vlaai is a somewhat unique pie with fillings you find only in the Netherlands. The most popular flavors are cherry (which is somewhat similar to American cherry pie), apricot, rice pudding, and apple crumble.
My family recipe has a crumble bottom and top, which makes it unique and not something you can buy in stores.
View attachment 66266
That's my husband's favorite! I never knew about the crumble bottom though, how fabulous!

Hurray, a forum on a type of food I haven't made lots of! The only thing I think of when I think of dutch food is the Dutch pancake (is it even Dutch?) And ..... hagenslag? That chocolate sprinkle toast thing!

Intending to post more here in the New year. Just wanted to highlight that Nigella Lawson honored my country with a Christmas special and I loved it! So glad to see more people realise Dutch cuisine has also evolved for the past 50 years. The Hairy Bikers also had a segment about speculaas cookies on their Baking show a while ago.
Here are the recipes:

Intending to post more here in the New year. Just wanted to highlight that Nigella Lawson honored my country with a Christmas special and I loved it! So glad to see more people realise Dutch cuisine has also evolved for the past 50 years. The Hairy Bikers also had a segment about speculaas cookies on their Baking show a while ago.
Here are the recipes:

Yum, zwarte goud!

Yum, zwarte goud!
Yeah definitely love mussels too :) I did wonder about the lack of Dutch main meals presented aside from the mussels though, there are a few Christmas classics like Hazenpeper (hare in pepper sauce) which I never see mentioned outside of our own country while that is our actual traditional Christmas food.
Not many people know how to prepare it anymore, so I guess that's why people like Nigella don't get introduced to it, but it's a shame because many people don't think we have anything special to offer for that reason.
(PS. sent you an e-mail)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom