My oven crapped out, looking for a new one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dragnlaw, you seem to be exceptionally unlucky when it comes to appliances!
One of the more expensive ones did not have a single bell nor whistle other than the thermostat and clicker for the jets. It was also expensive, special order from Wisconsin, (would you believe it bliss?) LOL. It lasted a while but when the thermostat went and had to be replaced I thought easy, peasy! NOPE, it was under the top plate of the burners of which the tiny screws had (all but 2 of them out of 8) sealed them selves into the plate. My ex tried, my neighbour tried, the gas man tried and the only solution would have been to send it out to a shop where a drill press could ream them out. About $2,000 including transport and re-installing. So nope, another one down the drain. The burners I could live with using a starter, even the oven with a starter, but not a thermostat.
The general thoughts in society are....if you buy a cheap 'thing', it should break down, have few expectations. Your post goes to show, buy a bigger brand name and the same can happen.

And when we buy appliances with extras, refrigerators with ice makers, like convection and oven, microwave convection, wifi plus appliance, when one thing craps out, is it worth fixing? Is it required fixing to keep it, or do we replace it?

Can we depend on any brand? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I'm sorry all these broke down! It's terrible.
Even the last one I had (and sold with the farm) you could not adjust the flame down like I could on all my previous ones. I can count back to 7 different stoves I used but nbr 8 could not be lowered.

Actually, the best ones I ever had were old old antiques at the cottage, one of which is still there. We only changed it as it was a bit bigger and had a griddle plate in the middle.

In Boston I have an almost 40 year old Maytag that came with the house. BEST. STOVE. EVER.

On the Cape we have a new but not that fancy GE Monogram. It’s great! I love the convection feature.

According to my husband (professional computer geek with a special interest in security), if your network is on a Windows machine, Windows allows devices to ask for a hole in the firewall and get one. It's so that plug-and-play can work.

And good security on your network is a moving target.
I was a network administrator and website manager before I retired, so I have a pretty good background in network security. My network is set up so that I have to manually allow specific devices to connect to my network. It can be a pain when we get a new phone or have a guest who wants to connect to the internet because sometimes it takes me a while to remember that I have to go into the network settings on the access point to permit that device to connect.

I had two that were sold with the houses. Didn't have them long but were very good. I especially liked the Amana.

I was a network administrator and website manager before I retired, so I have a pretty good background in network security. My network is set up so that I have to manually allow specific devices to connect to my network. It can be a pain when we get a new phone or have a guest who wants to connect to the internet because sometimes it takes me a while to remember that I have to go into the network settings on the access point to permit that device to connect.
That's great, but it really doesn't apply to most people or most networks.

Consumer Reports seems to really like a brand of oven I have never heard of...

1712407990100.png

CD

Seeing as I've had pretty much every brand name in various appliances - I can only say that there are lemons in all of them.

All I can suggest is to read the reviews (start with the worst ones). Then choose from whichever has potential problems with which you could live.

I'm skeptical of WiFi with appliances. I hadn't even considered that they might mess with it with updates. One of the problems with WiFi for appliances is that they often don't have decent security. They can easily be hacked. That may sound laughable. "I'm not worried that the neighbours will reprogram my supper." But, the problem is that the appliance is using your WiFi. That means that it is an entry to your home network for malicious actors.
Our WiFi refrigerator let us know when I did not close the freezer correctly. It did not let us know when the fan to the main fridge went out.

I like our LG stove/oven all-in-one. We had to call for service once just after we had it installed, but it works a treat as long as we remember to set the temperature on the oven five degrees higher than it states.

I really miss the days when a Sears Kenmore appliance was the best of the best. My 23 year old house has a Kenmore oven, cooktop and microwave, and they all work like new. My Kenmore fridge was 26 years old when it had to be replaced -- it was a side-by-side and the fridge side door warped. That still boggles my mind.

My dishwasher is Bosch, because my house is an open design, so the kitchen and living room are like one room. Bosch dishwashers are virtually silent. I can barely hear it standing right next to it. It is 23 years old, and still works (knock on wood). But, Bosch ain't cheap.

BTW, I posted the Consumer Reports scores above. Has anyone here ever heard of that Café brand of appliances?

CD

My mom had our old oven do the same thing where it never got to temp/heated wrongly. As she hates spending money, she googled it and after about a day found out that there's a heat sensor in all ovens and hers was broken. She bought a new heat sensor for like 5 bucks and we got another 5 years out of that thing.

Back
Top Bottom