Matzos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robin1k

Assistant Cook
:chef:Hi Whilst in USA i bought some matzos because I had some served with egg but now I am back home (UK) I'm not sure what to do with them any suggestions? Thanks
Sue

I like them with just butter, or toasted with raspberry, or apricot, or peach preserves. Or you could crumble them for bread crumbs for a mild flavored fish fry. My friend crumbles them in soup, like crackers, or crumbs in cold milk, like cereal.

They are basically just a bland dry cracker so you can use them any way you would use a bland cracker.

The matzos I had were incorprated in with the eggs a little like scrambled come omlette. How was this done as it wasn't apparent they were actually in it. It tasted great though, oh there were a few mushrooms aswell.

That sounds like Matza Bri (sp?) which is a popular breakfast dish during Passover.

How was it made? I guess it would be beaten eggs sliced mushroome fried and the matzos but do I just break them up or do I soak them in water or in the eggs first?

I do not eat eggs myself so I have never made it, but I seem to remember my mother soaking the matza in a little water first to soften it up a little.

For Matzo Brie (sp?), I run the sheets of matzo (I like the egg & onion flavored matzo), under cold water, then break the sheets in pieces. Beat a couple of eggs & add a bit of water. Put the crumbled matzo pieces in the eggs. Heat butter in a skillet, then pour in the matzo/egg mixture - like a big pancake. Brown on one side, then flip it over & brown the other side of the pancake. You might saute the mushrooms & onions in butter & add that to the egg/matzo mixture.

You could make matzo balls. I usually use the mix, but here's the idea:

Oma's Fabulous Matzo Ball Soup - Allrecipes

I have/had a recipe for an eggplant lasagna using matzo in place of lasagna noodles. You might find one on the web, or I'll see if I still have it in my recipe files.

Thanks I'll try this tomorrow morning it's 12am here so cooking now is out of the question but I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for your help.
Sue

Robin, I found this:

Recipe origin: United States Jewish Americans
Ingredients
  • 1 Passover matzo (can be found in most supermarkets)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • Butter
  • Salt, to taste
Procedure
  1. Break the matzo into medium-sized pieces.
  2. Put them in a small bowl, cover with boiling water, and let them soak until soft.
  3. Add the pieces of matzo to the beaten egg, stirring once or twice to coat. Season with salt.
  4. Melt a pat of butter in a small or medium skillet and pour in the egg mixture.
  5. Cook both sides over medium heat until the bottom is golden brown (lift and check periodically).
  6. Another pat of butter can be placed underneath the matzo brie.
  7. Turn off the heat when the bottom starts to brown.
  8. Serve with jam, syrup, or a topping of your choice.

my dad used to take it to the next level, incorporating fried onions, mushrooms and dill into the egg mixture, mixing it with the matzo ....and frying

I like the dill idea, Larry. You might also add some finely diced green (bell) peppers to the onion/mushroom mixture.

my mom makes a matzo kugel which is great. has carrots, celery,mushrooms, onions all fried + matzo and egg, and similar spices that would go into a traditional thanksgiving stuffing ( thyme, sage ...) and baked. Im not sure of the exact recipe but its one of the few things she actually makes that taste good ( shhh, dont tell her i said that )

Back
Top Bottom