Help me to make homemade subway-style bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GagnonLee

Assistant Cook
I'm a big fan of Subway's sandwiches, especially their yummy bread! I've been trying to make my own Subway-style sandwiches at home, but I just can't seem to get the bread right. I've checked out a bunch of recipes online, but none of them seem to nail that Subway taste. Any chance someone could share a solid recipe or some tips for making homemade Subway-style bread? I'm really curious about the ingredients and techniques that give it that special Subway flavor and texture. Thanks a bunch!

Welcome to DC, GagnonLee!
I don't have a recipe to hand at the moment but perhaps a recipe geared to Dinner Rolls might do it?

Are your recipes anywhere near the 'subway rolls' you can buy? I've never bought them so honestly don't know. Do they compare at all to "Subway's?"

Be aware that Subway uses LOTS of highly processed, commercial grade additives and preservatives which might possibly be available at a specialty bakery supply store.
But the recipe posted above should get you close enough.

I would be happy to be able to bake one damn sub roll!
I was thinking the other day that a softer sub roll would be a good option for us. I have been trying to bake artisan rolls with little success.
For some reason I just cannot bake a good loaf of bread.

@Roll_Bones I think it is because you need to use witchcraft....or measure. And measuring by weight. I rarely adhere to measuring with anything but my eyes....as in 'yeah, that looks right.' So most of my baking ends up lacking.

I was thinking the other day that a softer sub roll would be a good option for us. I have been trying to bake artisan rolls with little success.
I'm planning on trying out this method for making bread.

I think they use frozen bread that they "bake" in their stores

Ive seen frozen sub rolls in some supermarkets around here.

Gagnon, what is that you think is missing?
Too sweet? Not sweet enough?
Too soft? Not soft enough?
You must have some inkling?

Measuring by weight is all well and good and I certainly agree... but what about those recipes you've found that don't have weights? All you can do is measure the old ways.

That being said, weigh scales have come down a great deal in price. If you are serious then they are worth it.

LOL I just read that there is even an app for your phone now! LOL Don't recommend it for accuracy in cooking and baking, but who knows? Maybe one day!

Measuring by weight is all well and good and I certainly agree... but what about those recipes you've found that don't have weights? All you can do is measure the old ways.

That being said, weigh scales have come down a great deal in price. If you are serious then they are worth it.

LOL I just read that there is even an app for your phone now! LOL Don't recommend it for accuracy in cooking and baking, but who knows? Maybe one day!

many recipes are written for quantities to feed armies, not two retired geezers.
I have/maintain a computer list of grams per volume - which makes it easier to "use" cups of this, tablespoons of that . . .
so.... "all you can do" is probably not the best expression.

when reducing the recipe "volume" - it is important to maintain accurate proportional amounts of ingredients - and using grams/scale is veddy helpful.

one does get in a dilemma with seasonings. one needs a scale capable of 0.1 gram resolution to translate T or t to tens of a gram.
buying a scale with o.1 gram resolution is apt to result in a visit from the DEA...

You can type any measurement "from x to y" into Google and it will give you the answer. It's been collecting answers to questions for over 20 years, so the database of responses from Google itself - not necessarily a specific website - is gigantic and pretty accurate. And King Arthur Flour has an Ingredient Weight Chart for a long list of common baking ingredients.

Last edited:
If you like yeast rolls, these can be shaped into sub rolls. I made some of the dough into hotdog buns once. The shaping will probably take some practice, but it worked. To give them more flavor, you can mix dried herbs into the dough or brush them with garlic butter before baking.
40-Minute Hamburger Buns

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom