Non-hydrogenated Lard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While trans fats do occur naturally in animal fats, I believe I read that the trans fats created in the hydrogenation process are still worse/different.

Tenderflake lard in 454 and 1.36kg size is now non-hydrogenated. Made a blueberry pie with it the other day and it turned out great! Nice and flaky. Just use the recipe on the packaging.

This site won't allow me to post their website. Just google 'tenderflake' it's the first link.

Crisco does make a shortening that is supposedly trans fat free... I've yet to try it though.

The product you're looking for is known as "leaf lard." It's sold in butcher shops and some specialty stores. I get mine from a farmer at the Union Square Greenmarket in New York.

The leaf lard I buy has to be rendered, which is easy enough to do, and then it keeps indefinitely in the fridge. Leaf lard comes from the area around the kidneys and is VERY white. It's supposed to be the best quality.

I use it for biscuits and pie crusts. :)

I get my leaf lard from a nearby Amish grocery. They render it themselves. It lasts a long time in the refrigerator, but is not shelf stable like hydrogenated lard.

Back
Top Bottom