Opinions on garlic..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use garlic powder or flakes in sauces, fresh whole cloves for roast meats, crushed fresh garlic in marinade, roasted fresh garlic for garlic bread etc. Roasted garlic is sweeter and fresh raw more pungent. Dried garlic is convenient and it's not as strong. Guess it just depends what flavour you are looking for.

I use mostly fresh. Garlic powder in dry rubs and gravies. It's rare but I sometimes use the chopped jarred stuff. While in Aruba I bought a small quantity of peeled cloves as that's all they had. Seemed to work OK.

I also use onion powder in dry rubs and gravies and bagels (along with toasted onion flakes).

Last edited:
Fresh or powdered here (Penzeys). I used the minced jar stuff before in some fatties and it was alright, but not the same. I thik it would work better in a sauce.
I just watched a youtube vid where the cook used both, added at the same time. I'm usually one or the other. Maybe she didn't have enough fresh on hand.

I buy the large bag at Costco and freeze about half. Garlic freezes well, but turns color to a light brown. Costco price for a bag of 2 or 3 pounds, I forget which, is slightly more than a few heads at the supermarket.

I use fresh (various varieties--none from China--most locally grown or from Argentina or California) or garlic powder (that I grind from garlic I dehydrate). I bought some smoked garlic bulbs at the local garlic festival last summer. I completely dehydrated it and then ground it. Fantastic garlic powder. I never use onion powder and I would definitely stay away from garlic powder that comes from China.

Hi everyone,

When it comes to garlic there are a few options... you can go straight for it and have it fresh, you can buy it crushed in small cans, you can roast it then add it to your recipe, you can use garlic powder, etc.

I tend to use garlic in different ways depending on the recipe..

I was wondering what your preferred method is for using garlic, or if it varies, let me know why! Or, if you find there is a better alternative to garlic I would love to know that as well. :)

Michelle

Most of the time fresh. Whole, sliced, chopped, minced - preparation depends on the dish. I use garlic powder for dry rubs.

I do use garlic salt in place of regular salt a lot, but as far as garlic in the recipe I use the fresh one all the time.

I use fresh (various varieties--none from China--most locally grown or from Argentina or California) or garlic powder (that I grind from garlic I dehydrate). I bought some smoked garlic bulbs at the local garlic festival last summer. I completely dehydrated it and then ground it. Fantastic garlic powder. I never use onion powder and I would definitely stay away from garlic powder that comes from China.

the smoked garlic sounds good. i'll have to try that the next time i fire up the smoker.

i buy upstate ny garlic whenever possible. i find it's sweeter than californa or imported.

bigjim, i buy the sleeves of garlic at farmer's markets here. 5 or 6 bulbs are only a dollar. buying them in regular supermarkets at 3x the price s ridiculous, and not any better quality.

Back
Top Bottom