Pizza cooked for an hour and still dough is undercooked!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd probably preheat the flipped pan as you did, maybe not quite so hot, then switch to the broiler as was suggested. You will just have to play around with your oven until you get the right combination.

Our favorite way to cook pizza is on a grill using charcoal and/or wood. We precook the crust on the grill just enough to firm it up, then put the toppings on, then finish on the grill.

Thin metal pizza pans will absorb a lot of heat from the oven, and trasfer that heat quickly to the crust, especially if the pan is dark colored. If the pan is made from aluminum, it will tranfer heat even more quickly.

Pizza stones, and cast iron are poor heat conductos, and so ansorb, and tranfer heat more sliwly, and evenly to the crust.

Pre-cook your cris ubtil it begibs to firm up, then add your sauce and toppings. The broiler idea can wok for you. The pizza pastie technique I spoke abou earlier ha never failed me; nor has cooking pizza in a cast iron pan, whether in the oven, or over a charcoal fire. In fact, the best tasting pizzas were made on my covered kettle charcal grill, with the charcoal screaming hot, and the cover on.

Hope this is helpful information.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I will buy a cust iron pan then. It seems easier and I can use it to do other receipes that require transfering from the stove to the oven (Like some omelete receipes where you fry first and then put it directly in the oven).

I will buy a cust iron pan then. It seems easier and I can use it to do other receipes that require transfering from the stove to the oven (Like some omelete receipes where you fry first and then put it directly in the oven).

Also great for steaks, chops, burgers, and pan frying. I even use mine to make corn bread and pineapple upside down cake!

I agree with Scott, they are useful for lots of things. There is one cake that I bake that I always use a cast iron pan to bake it in.

Ask around for what European brands of cast iron skillets are good quality. I say European brands, because cast iron is heavy. The cost of shipping that heavy cast iron will be included in the price, or you will pay for the shipping if you buy online. Also, if you get something from the European Union, you won't have to pay customs duty.

Maybe your mother or grandmother has one somewhere that you could borrow. Then you can try it and see if you like it. Be sure to ask about the correct way to clean cast iron cookware. It can be damaged (lose its seasoning, get rusty) by incorrect cleaning. Also, if you buy one, be sure to find out how to season it before you use it, if it doesn't come pre-seasoned. I'm sorry I am making it sound complicated, but it is worth the effort. If treated well, cast iron cookware won't need to be seasoned again often, if at all. I have cast iron pans that have not needed to be re-seasoned in the close to 30 years that I have been using them.

If someone is willing to give you an old cast iron skillet, that is rusty, I say take it. There are people here who can help you with instructions on how to make it as good as new.

I believe one of the people here is using their grandmother's cast iron cookware that is over a hundred years old.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom