Rising food prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I paid $4.78 for a small container of peanut oil yesterday. I about fainted at the price.
But I needed to make some more chili oil.

I am now rethinking the chili oil and maybe using another type of oil instead?
I can get 2.5 gallons or peanut oil at Costco for the best price. But 2.5 gallons is quite a bit of oil.

Thinking about this deeper, I come to the conclusion that if you deep fry a turkey, the oil will cost more than the turkey itself.

Last edited:
Canola and vegetable oil work for frying, too, and as cave mentioned, peanut oil is much less expensive at Asian grocery stores. And if you like sesame seeds, they're pretty cheap at Asian grocery stores, too.

I paid $4.78 for a small container of peanut oil yesterday. I about fainted at the price.
But I needed to make some more chili oil.

I paid $11 for 62 ounces of peanut oil at the Asian store. How much is the Costco peanut oil?

I may buy it there if it's cheaper for I can share it with a friend plus I do most of my cooking with peanut oil when not using olive oil.

There is a difference in peanut oils. The oil you buy in an Asian market will have a rich peanut smell and add that flavor to your food. Usually, the peanut oils sold in supermarkets is more highly refined and is virtually not aromatic in comparison.

There is a difference in peanut oils. The oil you buy in an Asian market will have a rich peanut smell and add that flavor to your food. Usually, the peanut oils sold in supermarkets is more highly refined and is virtually not aromatic in comparison.

Good suggestion-----I don't know whether Costco sells ' Oriental type' or the more refined kind. How could I find out, other than buying it and sniffing?

Costco, although I love it dearly and shop there, is pretty much 'white bread' food to appeal to the masses and often is not as 'authentic', for my tastes, when they delve into 'ethnic' foods.

For instance I just bought some sushi there because I didn't want to cook that night and, as usual, the rice as NOT seasoned enough. When will I learn? (Rhetorical)

Last edited:
Good suggestion-----I don't know whether Costco sells ' Oriental type' or the more refined kind. How could I find out, other than buying it and sniffing?...

I go by the origin of the oil. If it's "Made in USA", I assume it's the more bland version.

I don't know if it's true, but I was told that peanut oil is great for deep frying because it doesn't pick up flavours from the food, so it can be used more times than most other oils.

I don't know if it's true, but I was told that peanut oil is great for deep frying because it doesn't pick up flavours from the food, so it can be used more times than most other oils.

I heard that too.

Do you think all the fast food places actually bother to change oil, maybe once a week.

Canola and vegetable oil work for frying, too, and as cave mentioned, peanut oil is much less expensive at Asian grocery stores. And if you like sesame seeds, they're pretty cheap at Asian grocery stores, too.

I was asking about making chili oil from something other than peanut oil.
I have plenty canola and grape seed oil in m y pantry that might work?

I paid $11 for 62 ounces of peanut oil at the Asian store. How much is the Costco peanut oil?
I may buy it there if it's cheaper for I can share it with a friend plus I do most of my cooking with peanut oil when not using olive oil.

I will check next time I'm in Costco. I am not certain as to the exact cost. But well below what you are paying I am certain.
Its in a 2.5 gallon commercial container.

Good suggestion-----I don't know whether Costco sells ' Oriental type' or the more refined kind. How could I find out, other than buying it and sniffing?

Costco, although I love it dearly and shop there, is pretty much 'white bread' food to appeal to the masses and often is not as 'authentic', for my tastes, when they delve into 'ethnic' foods.

For instance I just bought some sushi there because I didn't want to cook that night and, as usual, the rice as NOT seasoned enough. When will I learn? (Rhetorical)

No, its not Oriental style.

Tasting the peanut oil I have, provides no taste of peanuts at all. This is why I asked about using something else that also has no taste.

I did see a small bottle in the oriental section of the grocery store for around $10 for about 1.5 cups. Thats what I am guessing the size was.

I did see a small bottle in the oriental section of the grocery store for around $10 for about 1.5 cups. Thats what I am guessing the size was.

WHOA!! That's expensive. Roll Bones----- do you not have an Asian grocery in your area?

I stopped using canola oil as I frequently detected a fishy smell (when I wasn't cooking fish) when the oil was heated to cooking temp.

I stopped using canola oil as I frequently detected a fishy smell (when I wasn't cooking fish) when the oil was heated to cooking temp.

I've noticed the same thing. I got some a bit too hot recently and the smell was awful. I really like cooking with coconut oil, it can really handle the heat.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I've noticed the same thing. I got some a bit too hot recently and the smell was awful. I really like cooking with coconut oil, it can really handle the heat.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Yes, totally forgot about coconut oil! Big and cheap at Costco.

A couple of the folks here in the building have said the same thing. I use just plain vegetable oil. (Not canola) I do very little frying, so it meets all my needs. I do have a small bottle of Greek olive oil that I keep on hand for just .... You can fill in the blank. It usually will last me about six months. :angel:

I have gotten so much useful information about peanut oils this evening. Thank you to all. :) :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom