What quality of wine do you cook with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best rule of thumb is, if you like it enough to drink it, then you should cook with it.

amber said:
Best rule of thumb is, if you like it enough to drink it, then you should cook with it.

I'd go with that, although the better the wine, the better the food.
I wouldn't cook with "cooking wine" - it's akin to putting kerosene on your cornflakes.
Having said that (Did I just say that??:chef: ), I don't think I'd ever cook with a Chateau Mouton-Rothschild Grand Crû Classé either, unless it had been donated for a Gala Dinner with the Queen, the King of Spain and Angelina Jolie.:LOL:

I always freeze the remants of a bottle of of wine that may be left after a meal... The icecubes can be added to any stew/casserole etc. It means that dishes often have a mixture of wines in them, but for many dishes, that doesn't matter!

I discovered something a few months ago and wondered why I never noticed this before. When I open a bottle of wine for cooking I don't always drink the whole bottle so I have to throw some of it out if it sits more than 2 wks. in my fridge. In a recent trip to the supermarket I happened to notice in the wine section (on a high shelf of course) bottles of good chardonnay, merlot, and cabernet in little bottles - about 1 glass full. They come in a little six-paks and I find that these are just enough for a recipe, maybe 2. No waste.

cliveb said:
I'd go with that, although the better the wine, the better the food.
:LOL:

The attributes that make wine "better" are lost through the cooking process, though.:( You can't taste the difference between a $10 bottle and a $40 bottle in cooking but you (usually) sure can when you are drinking it.

Especailly is a recipe where you are adding wine more for its alcohol than for it's flavor.

I'd open up a bottle of lesser stuff before I'd cook with a really nice wine.

P.S. Like Ishbel says NEVER throw away wine!! FREEZE IT to use for cooking later!!

Back
Top Bottom