How to use frozen Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Having had a decent potato year, and not a great way to store potatoes long term ( without them sprouting), I had to figure out a way to long term store the potatoes. Ive made Knishes, pierogi and French fries, which all freeze well.

I also shredded potatoes, blanched , patted dry and froze them for future use.

My question is, how is the best way to cook with these shredded potatoes ?

Do you cook them straight from the frozen stage?
Do I let defrost and drain the excess liquid ?
Other ?

Im planning on making hash browns ( frying them up with onions , salt pepper, maybe a few other things.

I always have frozen hash browns in my freezer.

Cooking from frozen works very well, whether stove top or oven.

Having recently acquiring an air fryer, I find it perfect for crispy hash browns from frozen. May seem silly but, a crispy hash brown patty make a great snack, occasionally. :yum:

Ross

I always have frozen hash browns in my freezer.

Cooking from frozen works very well, whether stove top or oven.

Having recently acquiring an air fryer, I find it perfect for crispy hash browns from frozen. May seem silly but, a crispy hash brown patty make a great snack, occasionally. :yum:

Ross

Thats what I thought, Just wanted confirmation.
Thanks!

JC - are the hash browns preformed? or did you make them from scratch.

Larry, I think there might be a difference in preshaping, seasoning and adding your whatevers to the hash browns. Did you mean freezing just the shredded raw potato without anything added?

If JC's hash browns are store bought there is a difference as his potatoes are already sort of cooked.

JC - are the hash browns preformed? or did you make them from scratch.

Larry, I think there might be a difference in preshaping, seasoning and adding your whatevers to the hash browns. Did you mean freezing just the shredded raw potato without anything added?

If JC's hash browns are store bought there is a difference as his potatoes are already sort of cooked.

I use commercial hash browns so, I suppose they are pre cooked to an extent.
I found this, about making your own, online.
https://idahopotato.com/dr-potato/how-do-i-make-my-own-freezer-hash-browns

Ross

Wow, thanks for the link JC. Like you, I love hash browns and will pop one (or 2 :rolleyes:) in the toaster oven just for a snack.

I'll have to do some reading up! Although I don't grow my own - I do like to have some in the freezer and if I can make my own to do so - Great!

The potatoes were peeled, shredded , blanched for a few minutes, dried then frozen.
Nothing has been added to them yet. Ill, at the very least work some onions in, can't rule out some pepper too, as I still have a bunch outside that need to be used before the first frost hits.

Here is the link I got the method from ( I have also done the French fries which worked out really well).

Can You Freeze Potatoes? Yes, Here's How! | EatingWell

They go into detail on thawing or using all the other frozen potato products ( mashed, scalloped, roasted ...) but for the Hash brown potatoes, they only mention to use them In any recipe that called for frozen hash brown potatoes. Thats why I was a little confused , because of the lack of info ( thaw, don't thaw...).

Last edited:
I would thaw and drain them to remove any moisture that seeped from them while frozen. Otherwise, you'll have to cook it off before the potatoes will get crispy and they might cook unevenly.

How do you prevent the shredded and frankly any type prepared fresh potato's from turning brown? Does the blanching do the job?
I know when I make homemade hash browns, they are starting to turn as I am grating them.
I love them shredded and fried. But I have not blanched them. I cook them just as soon as they are grated. And I still have to wring them out without them ever seeing any water.

Thanks

How do you prevent the shredded and frankly any type prepared fresh potato's from turning brown? Does the blanching do the job?
I know when I make homemade hash browns, they are starting to turn as I am grating them.
I love them shredded and fried. But I have not blanched them. I cook them just as soon as they are grated. And I still have to wring them out without them ever seeing any water.

Thanks

Blanching them prevents them from browning or darkening.
You want to blanch them enough so they are somewhat cooked, but not to thee point where they are flaky for falling apart. It was about 3 minutes +/- and sump them into ice water to stop the cooking process so they dont get over cooked and break apart. After that , I drained them, patted them dry with a few kitchen towels, put them in a zip lock, and flattened them to about 1/2 inch thick and into the freezer they went. They froze beautifully, but tonight will be the first time Im attempting to use them. Ill post back the results and method used ( good or bad). Im hoping its a success, cause its a nice way to store them for future use.

Potato soup
Add to bread doughs
Press them into greased muffin tins, make a cup, crack an egg and bake
Potato pancakes
Rosti
Use as the base for fritters and croquets - especially salmon
Add as binder in pot pies

and now I'm hungry...

There is a great collection of recipes here and tool to filter by type of potato

Recipes | Simply Potatoes

Tonight I cooked them from the frozen state
As you can see, I froze them in a large ziplock
Before freezing, I used th handle of a wooden spoon too press on the back , halfway, to create 2 portions that could easily be separated when frozen.
You can see how thin I spread them , to allow for a quicker freeze, and for easy storage.
You can also see that they are a nice, white , potato color, they did not turn dark
Fried up some onions and peppers first, to caramelize and give some flavor.
Tossed the frozen potatoes in, and put the cover on to build up some heat and break of the frozen potatoes.
Once separated, I fried them up until they got cooked and crispy.
All in all, worked out well. Only issue was if I had more heat, I think it would have cooked quicker.

Next time Ill dry the defrost and squeeze out the water method to see if it makes a difference.
But on a positive note, at least I found another way to successfully store my overload of potatoes. My other ways are knishes, pierogi and French fries.
This weekend we will prepare a lot too th above to freeze before my potatoes start to sprout.

With the amount of potatoes , tomatoes and string beens we get from the garden, I think I may need to invest in a bigger freezer . Right now I have a relatively small chest freezer, which has done its job, but I think I've outgrown it .

Oh yeah, next to the potatoes on the dish was a tofu scramble ( my vegan wife replacement for eggs) .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 6.50.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 6.50.24 PM.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 6.50.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 6.50.32 PM.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 6.50.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 6.50.43 PM.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 6.50.55 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 6.50.55 PM.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 154
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 6.51.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 6.51.34 PM.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 236
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 6.51.06 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 6.51.06 PM.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 233
Potato soup
Add to bread doughs
Press them into greased muffin tins, make a cup, crack an egg and bake
Potato pancakes
Rosti
Use as the base for fritters and croquets - especially salmon
Add as binder in pot pies

and now I'm hungry...

There is a great collection of recipes here and tool to filter by type of potato

Recipes | Simply Potatoes

I like the little potato cup idea, I can think of millions of things I can do with that.

Back
Top Bottom