"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Henningsvaer Fiskesuppe

I made a batch of this today. This recipe has been in the family for generations. Relatives owned the fish-processing plant in Henningsvaer, Norway for approx. 100 years.

Serves 6-8

1.3 l Fish Stock
350 g (12 oz) cod (haddock works, too)
60 g (2 T) butter
1 onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 c)
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 large leek (white and green parts) finely chopped
2 tsp sugar
2 T white wine vinegar
300 ml (1/2 pt) sour cream + whole milk or cream (2/3 sour cream, thinned with whole milk or cream)
S&P
chopped fresh parsley or dill to garnish

1. Bring stock to a boil.
2. Add the cod (I used a steamer pan with the fish submerged in the stock to m make lifting it out easier).
3. Heat to boiling and then pull off heat. Let cool until tepid.
4. Remove cod.
5. Melt butter in a large pan. Add veggies. Stir to coat. Cover pan, reduce heat, and let sweat about 20 minutes.
6. Add stock, sugar, vinegar, S&P.
7. Bring to boil, simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Stir in sour cream.
9. Stir in flaked cod. Adjust seasonings. Don't let it come back to a boil, but reheat it if necessary.
Serve garnished with chunks of cod, parsley/dill, carrot slivers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84264887_634307370719197_946368555882905600_n.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	38547  

Old 01-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Looks and sounds good!

Old 01-27-2020, 07:17 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Looks and sounds good!
Thanks. It is not a "thick" soup. I would add potatoes, some shrimp, and smoked salmon, but then that would not be the family's recipe. I didn't include the recipe for the stock...figure everyone has their own recipe for that.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm sure once I had the basics down I would be tweaking it up. I like the idea of potato and shrimp. I save the smoked salmon for munching on.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm sure once I had the basics down I would be tweaking it up. I like the idea of potato and shrimp. I save the smoked salmon for munching on.
I only follow the recipe exactly when I make it for my Dad...I've even added creamed corn to it! It is a bit fussy--but it makes me feel connected to my family since I have been eating this since I was a child...

Tags
cod, norwegian, recipe

Henningsvaer Fiskesuppe I made a batch of this today. This recipe has been in the family for generations. Relatives owned the fish-processing plant in Henningsvaer, Norway for approx. 100 years. Serves 6-8 1.3 l Fish Stock 350 g (12 oz) cod (haddock works, too) 60 g (2 T) butter 1 onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 c) 1 large carrot, finely chopped 1 large leek (white and green parts) finely chopped 2 tsp sugar 2 T white wine vinegar 300 ml (1/2 pt) sour cream + whole milk or cream (2/3 sour cream, thinned with whole milk or cream) S&P chopped fresh parsley or dill to garnish 1. Bring stock to a boil. 2. Add the cod (I used a steamer pan with the fish submerged in the stock to m make lifting it out easier). 3. Heat to boiling and then pull off heat. Let cool until tepid. 4. Remove cod. 5. Melt butter in a large pan. Add veggies. Stir to coat. Cover pan, reduce heat, and let sweat about 20 minutes. 6. Add stock, sugar, vinegar, S&P. 7. Bring to boil, simmer for 10 minutes. 8. Stir in sour cream. 9. Stir in flaked cod. Adjust seasonings. Don't let it come back to a boil, but reheat it if necessary. Serve garnished with chunks of cod, parsley/dill, carrot slivers. 3 stars 1 reviews